Aleister Crowley Art Exhibition in New York

Babalon Jones

Very interesting! I would love to check this out just for fun, especially if some of the later works are there. (I'm not much into landscapes, no matter who painted them!)

I don't go to New York very often, as a bit too far of a drive, but it is close enough that it might be possible to take a bus or train. I wish there was more info so I could decide if the trip was worth it.

Thanks for posting this! I will let you know if I end up going...

kwaw

I remember seeing one of his works (in Kenneth Anger film? A Man Were'd like to Hang?) that was very similar to the Crowley/Harris moon card.

Spiffo

The exhibition was organised by a local lad here in Perth (Western Australia) Robert Buratti and kicked off in his Fremantle Gallery - although fascinating it had nothing to do with the Thoth Deck (obviously) other than the name attached. The landscapes were woeful and the portraits, well not what you'd want to hang on your wall. The Magical, trance stuff was curious, if only for the glimpse afforded into Crowley's mind. Overall the exhibition, from a Tarot, point of view was mildly interesting. What made it a real event here in Perth was the plethora of social functions organised around it. Some great speakers and workshops made for a stimulating couple of weeks. I'd suggest, unless you are very near it and have done your washing, it might be better to just buy the catalogue. see http://www.aleistercrowley.com.au/#!CATALOGUE/ccdi

Cheers

http://zeroequalstwo.net/aleister-crowley-artworks-on-show-this-month-in-new-york/

Is anyone going to be there? There isn't much information in the article, or pictures, but I know Crowley also did "normal" things like landscapes and such (as pictured). I wonder if the exhibit will also show some of his later, more radical work.

ravenest

I see the Illustrious Mr Hale is involved .... he is a good artist , I like his work.

Set up by the OTO in Oz ?

I have never been impressed with the Old Boy's artistic efforts though.

I would go and see a J.F.C. Fuller artwork and writing exhibition any day

try googling his pics and 'Treasure House of Images' :thumbsup:

Zephyros

I have never been impressed with the Old Boy's artistic efforts though.

Me neither, but in this case it's more a case of going to a celebrity's showing simply because they are celebrities, less about the pictures themselves.

Babalon Jones

At www.aleistercrowley.com.au there are pictures of the art. As was said, not much of it is all that impressive but it would still be fun to go, soak in the vibe and maybe people watch :) and a few of the paintings are tarot based.

Hale is ok but most of what I have seen seems too much like Buddhist thangkas and wrathful dieties, except with neon colors. Seen enough of that to last a lifetime(s) :) Though some of his black and white designs I like.

Spiffo

Set up by the OTO in Oz ?

I don't know that they (the OTO) organised it as such although Buratti is a member of the Perth OTO. Members were in attendance and certainly ran a few of the discussion sessions. They were all quite approachable and not at all what I was expecting. As far as I know the exhibition travelled to Sydney after Perth before heading overseas. I understand that Buratti is working on a Thoth Exhibition and is in negotiations at present. Iw as lucky enough to see the exhibition in Venice a couple of years ago where some of Harris' paintings were on show - quite a remarkable experience standing in front of them. I hope Buratti pulls it off.

Babalon Jones

I would go and see a J.F.C. Fuller artwork and writing exhibition any day

try googling his pics and 'Treasure House of Images' :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tip, that is some evocative stuff. If only he had illustrated it too! I like his art but have only seen a handful of works.

ravenest

At www.aleistercrowley.com.au there are pictures of the art. As was said, not much of it is all that impressive but it would still be fun to go, soak in the vibe and maybe people watch :) and a few of the paintings are tarot based.

Hale is ok but most of what I have seen seems too much like Buddhist thangkas and wrathful dieties, except with neon colors. Seen enough of that to last a lifetime(s) :) Though some of his black and white designs I like.

He loves A. O. Spare :) .... and Enochian. A bit of his work seems inspired by it, and some vids he has out there.

Yes the social 'event' would be interesting .... :) .