Spirit of the Wheel - card 2 - Mother Earth

GryffinSong

In the foreground is a circular dream catcher. A woman holds a child, both looking happy and either resting or asleep. There is an attractive geometric pattern on the woman's sleeve. She has light/white hair, implying to me that perhaps she is grandmother, rather than mother, to the child. The card has the words "creative feminine force, nurturing, birth" on it.

I feel a strong sense of love, care, fondness from this card. The dream catcher reminds me of spider webs. Perhaps implying some level of fate or implying something about ancestors and wisdom. This card feels like an encompassing, but not smothering love.

firefrost

You're more observant than me - I wouldn't have thought of dream catchers when I saw it!

I've not looked at the book this time because I see other things too. Instead of a spider's web, I see a kalaedascope. In each of the hundreds of small kalaedascopic images, I see a different way of showing love.

Hmmm...Those geometric patterns...

Okay, - first, I don't see it as a sleeve. It's completely alien to the rest of the shrouding. To be honest, it looks like a caveman's club to me, but that's completely alien as well! it doesn't look soft, but it does look like a comforter. All I can liken that to in real life is the (very) old pot hot water bottles our grandparents used. Maybe that's not such a way-out idea, considering the picture.

The top and bottom patterns are the same, and the middle ones are too. I've racked my brains and can't come up with anything for this. Unless, the beginning is the same as the end. We come into the material worls as spirits, and we leave to go back to spirit.

Looking into the centre of the catcher again, there's what seems to be a black cotton bobbin floating in front of it. Now that reminds me of a sattelite dish - spreading messages around the world.

Whadya all think?

GryffinSong

That black bobbin thingy has been driving me nuts trying to figure it out!!! I know my closeup eyesight isn't as good as it used to be, but it just doesn't really look quite like anything.

silverwings94

I don't understand the bobbin of thread either unless it is what mother earth used to create the dream catcher. As to what she is holding could it be a child that has died? Then you would have birth and death completing the cycle of life. The dream catcher hold all of our dreams that we have through life. Allowing us to nuture each one, seeing it grow to its fullest.We must have sadness and joy in our lives to complete the circle.

Briar Rose

Could the bobbin thing be an Indian trade bead? This way the air can flow through the dream catcher, and perhaps purify one's thoughts?

DragonFae

Mother Earth:

The birth of ideas, thoughts, phases of life, dreams, solutions. Mother Earth bore the fruits of creation. While she is not the creator she is the bringer of life (each spring) and perhaps the bearer of sorrows too. Ashes to ashes...dust to dust as we all return to the earth upon death.

When this card turns up I am reminded that there is a season (a time) for everything and that there is a natural ebb and flow to life. It suggests that the situation calls for a strong feminine force to breath life into it. To bring it to fruitation so to speak. Dreams give birth to reality only with Mother Earth as a nurturing force.

Those are my simple thoughts. Thanks for letting me join in with examining the cards of this deck. It ranks as one of my top five favorite decks.