Chat du Marseille/Cat of the Marseilles Tarot

HudsonGray

Well, the pencil images are all inked on the majors, the guide marks erased, and we're going to start scanning them into the computer tonight for clean up.

I'd anticipated just going over to Econoprint to run off about 30 decks, but Steve wants to do 100 and with the printer we used on the Ferret Tarot. They're black & white drawings (based on the Conver deck) and I was going to have them put on beige/parchment tan card stock to look 'aged'.

The only card I felt I had to compromise on was the Star, I changed the position of the main figure to a more realistic cat-like sitting instead of the kneeling position the lady on the card usually is shown in. Oh, and I left the cap off the Fool. There's also a cover card, but I haven't come up with a back image yet.

Majors only...sorry. And the wording will be in French. I've got a lot of cleanup to do on some shaky straight vertical lines (after midnight the hand just isn't as accurate as it is when I'm awake & alert I guess). But the rest is hopefully going to be an easy cleanup.

I do have the option of putting lamination on the back of the cards, leaving the fronts open for being colored in with color pencil. Doing both sides with laminate will cost me $4 a deck. The stuff can't be found anywhere at a discount, unfortunately. It's either the back only, or no lamination, I haven't decided.

But I am going to try getting some scans up soon. No idea yet on the cost, we have to talk to the printer. They'll likely be digitally done onto 90 weight card stock. Or possibly 150# weight if he has that in stock by now. He was out last Sept. on that one.

skytwig

Oh cool... can't wait to see them, Hudson!! :)

baba-prague

I'm also keen to see this - sounds interesting and fun!

HudsonGray

Ahh, Baba, I warn you, it's cute!

The images are still being scanned & cleaned. I'm going to try getting Steve to put a few images over on my site, but will post when they're up there.

The printer down the street has a super special of 49 cents per page for color copy on plain paper. I have to see if he can do the same price on card stock. Their specials run one month at a time. It might be possible to do this in color at a reasonable cost--$2 per deck, plus whatever the cost of a black & white back image would be.

baba-prague

I'm sure it's cute! But in a nice way (I'm not against cute - honest). Really looking forward to seeing it.

I think it should be colour - but if I've understood correctly, it will be?

HudsonGray

Not sure yet, if I can get a good cost on it from the printer, it might be. The trouble is, I've found images of several different decks/art that all are labled 'conver' yet the colors are never the same on all the cards. There's apparently a lot of different variants (blue shirt, red shirt, green & white shirt) on each image for the same card, I don't know which one to follow. Most of the images I've been using as reference are from online so I don't have a complete set in front of me. If I follow one set of illustrations that show 5 cards, and they're different from the same cards I find on other URL's, I don't know which is the 'accurate' one. I haven't been able to find a site that shows all of them onscreen at one time.

I emailed you two of the images today, just so you can see the scanned art for the Fool & the Hanged Man.

baba-prague

It's REALLY nice

I feel a bit bad saying that I've had a sneak preview as I know everyone else will want one too. But just have to report back that this is going to be a really appealing deck - it's just got something that makes you smile. Good expressions on the cats too.
It's simple, like the old woodblocks were - but that's part of the charm and the point I think. I really like it - thanks for letting me see. I thnk this one will be very popular :)

Okay - now all of you can start clamouring for a viewing!

HudsonGray

It's been transfered to computer, gotten cleaned up, the cards are in the page layout format & I'm all set except for checking French spelling on the cards (waiting to hear back from Diane on that one). The little white booklet is partially done, and all of it can get taken to the printers for an estimate very shortly.

I've got an email out to Kirsten at Aphrodite's Dove (new age store in PA) who I'm hoping will give me feedback on quantities, she's been getting feedback from the events they do outside the store, so I'll be able to figure how many decks to try as a first shot. If she says she can sell 2 dozen a month, then I'll do 200 sets. If she thinks lower, it'll probably be a print run of 100.

They'll get a pouch and a LWB, and be lower cost since they're only a 22 cards, majors only deck. The back image is a cat face inside a Medieval woodcut style sun (straight rays, squiggly sunbeams, and straight lines branching out from the center).

So, soon guys!

Laura Borealis

This sounds very cool, and I look forward to seeing them! :)