Do you keep your Tarot doing a secret?

page of wands

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear this.
What have you prepared to say if he does open your mail and ask you?
...a book is not exactly a deck...
In future is there someone else you could have your Tarot stuff delivered to? - a friend perhaps?

**I don't think he will open the mail. He doesn't know that 2 of the things I've already gotten are tarot related. He hasn't asked what they are. If he does ask, I'll just say they are books. And I don't think he will ask the name of the book. He may get mad that I have too many things I've purchased.

gregory

Thank you for this. I'm not harming anyone by doing Tarot. I'm going to continue to do it because it doesn't affect anyone in the house. If it did, then of course I wouldn't do it. I love them very much. It makes me feel guilty to keep it secret. I wish I could just be myself. It's all pretty silly, and I also feel it is controlling.
You are being yourself. That's how come you are here.

We all have secrets. We don't have to feel guilty about them as such; but yes, I suppose it is controlling up to a point. That said - you ARE here, being yourself. I don't see you as being at risk of disease from suppression.

And thanks, Tanga. I do actually think it would be pretty damaging to a 12 y/o to have to leave home in some way for having different beliefs from their parents. That "ascension" can come a bit later.

Beancrew49 - have you children ? Just wondering.

page of wands

And what of a 12 y/o ? a 10 y/o ? Should they call in Children's Services, when forbidden to have cards ?

You can actually BE the person you were meant to be without owning actual things as a part of that. Parents don't own their children, but they do have some rights over what items are allowed in their home. You don't have to suppress who you are - just wait to own cards - or keep them at a friend's house.

I remember someone here discussing how her father used to beat her over stuff like that - and as she said - she never blamed him; he did it out of love and was genuinely trying to protect her from something he "knew" was evil and harmful. Parents have a right to be who they are too.

** I'm not 12 years old though. xD I think it is different if it is 12 years old because it encourages a child to rebel because it may lead to worse ways they rebel. I am 36 years old. :( I know I sound very immature. And it doesn't help I am living with my Dad atm.

page of wands

I agree that we all have a right to be who we are, but there's still respect for your father that's important. You can be who you are without disrespecting his rules.

I'm an alcoholic in recovery, so for the first years of my sobriety, I didn't allow alcohol use in my house. Later on, it wasn't such an issue but back then, it was very important to me and I appreciated that my wishes were respected.

Even if you're an adult, you still need to respect the house rules if you're living with someone else. I have a sister who is very religious and when I stayed with her, I had a deck with me but I never used it in her presence. My son-in-law is Jehovah's Witness and is extremely against Tarot. My daughter has cards and uses them, but just not around him. When I stayed with them before my move to where I live now, I had cards with me, but I was very discreet at that time, too.

I would never use them around him. I don't talk about tarot at all. I read the books in my room. I don't want to anger him or offend him.

Beancrew49

I'm sorry, Beancrew, I have to disagree with you in very strong terms here. Yes, as adults, we need to live authentic lives. But we're talking about someone who is dependent on others, and who could come to serious harm without their support.

I also disagree with the notion that being your authentic self means disregarding the views and needs of others. We are all connected. Individualism keeps us isolated and vulnerable. Being authentic means recognizing that we are not islands; we need each other. And this means that we need to consider the feelings and opinions of others in the choices we make.

Being part of society isn't just about fear and hatred. It's about understanding and acceptance. Sometimes people make poor choices and desire inappropriate things, and we need to help each other identify appropriate boundaries.

Parents are responsible for their child's well being, and most of us want the best for our children. We make the choices we do out of concern for them and from the basis of often long experience.

When you live under someone's roof, you live by their rules, so long as those rules are fair and reasonable (even if you disagree with some of them).

Strangers on the internet should not be trying to drive a wedge between parent and child.

I didn't drive the wedge, her father did when he decided to restrict who she was rather than to allow her to flourish.

Parents are just parrots of their parents, who parrot their parents, and so on down the line. That has lead to a society filled with war, violence, hatred, and fear as each generation passes down thinking that is out of alignment. Just because a parent has "experience" in a corrupted world, that does not mean they have more wisdom than you. People are waking up fast, and are gaining wisdom in days that their parents (especially the ones locked into dogmas) could never acquire.

What do you constitute as "fair" when living under someone else's roof? If you look at Tarot as a hobby, like stamp collecting, and a parent were to tell you that you cannot collect stamps because their parent once told them that stamp collecting was a vice of the devil would you say that their rule is fair and must be followed? If stamp collecting makes you feel free and alive and sets you on a path towards your higher self, then what right does that parent have to pass on their ill-found believes in an attempt to stifle who you are?

No one is saying that she should spit in the face of her father. She loves him and I'm sure she wishes things could be harmonious between him, but the poisoned beliefs that have been passed down through the ages is preventing that. The only way to stop this chain of negativity is to break it yourself. You have the power to do that, but you have to live an authentic life. If she can live freely, and SHOW her father the love and happiness that she has found from living her authentic life, then maybe he might even see the light himself. But you can't do that if you allow him to pass on that negative energy to you out of some misaligned form of "respect" You respect your parents more by being true to yourself and becoming a beacon of light for others.

Tanga

** I'm not 12 years old though. xD I think it is different if it is 12 years old because it encourages a child to rebel because it may lead to worse ways they rebel. I am 36 years old. :( I know I sound very immature. And it doesn't help I am living with my Dad atm.

:) immature? No. You just have to decide how much you want to rock the boat, and still live in some form of harmony with your Dad. If that's what you wish to do.
:heart:

**I don't think he will open the mail. He doesn't know that 2 of the things I've already gotten are tarot related. He hasn't asked what they are. If he does ask, I'll just say they are books. And I don't think he will ask the name of the book. He may get mad that I have too many things I've purchased.

Did you buy them with your money? If so - then it's your money - right?
If it's his - then it gets more awkward I guess, and you have to be prepared for that.

gregory

I was making the point about a 12 y/o as Beancrew49 seemed to suggest that every child of any age should leave home rather than compromise. One could tell from your posts that you weren't ! But at 36 - that really is tough. You don't sound that immature, but you are in a tough spot here. Compromise is the only way I can see. You don't have to be who you aren't - but you do need to get along with your Dad - not just because you live with him, but because - as someone once said about her abusive father - "I know he was awful to Mom, and the rest - but he was still my Dad."

And Beancrew49 - we can, as parents, get past the scripting passed on from our parents. I have avoided perpetuating a shedload of the crap my parents did to me; I was far from a perfect mother, and am hugely amused (and relieved) to watch my daughter avoiding all the ghastly mistakes I made - and replacing them with disasters of her own. We do NOT all parrot our pasts.

The analogy with stamp collecting is rather senseless - but if you put it like that - then yes, the parent does have that right.

Incidentally - referring to effectively hoping to convert her father to "see the light" - who's to say that is any more authentic than "knowing" it is evil ? We are ALL entitled to our beliefs. It annoys me something when people here complain about people who really object to tarot saying "how can I make them see they are wrong." They are no more "wrong" than we are. Beliefs and faith are not stone things that are or are not rock-solid true.

I ask again - do you have children ?

Beancrew49

I was making the point about a 12 y/o as Beancrew49 seemed to suggest that every child of any age should leave home rather than compromise. One could tell from your posts that you weren't ! But at 36 - that really is tough. You don't sound that immature, but you are in a tough spot here. Compromise is the only way I can see. You don't have to be who you aren't - but you do need to get along with your Dad - not just because you live with him, but because - as someone once said about her abusive father - "I know he was awful to Mom, and the rest - but he was still my Dad."

And Beaccrew49 - we can, as parents, get past the scripting passed on from our parents. I have avoided perpetuating a shedload of the crap my parents did to me; I was far from a perfect mother, and am hugely amused (and relieved) to watch my daughter avoiding all the ghastly mistakes I made - and replacing them with disasters of her own. We do NOT all parrot our pasts.

The analogy with stamp collecting is rather senseless - but if you put it like that - then yes, the parent does have that right.

Incidentally - referring to effectively hoping to convert her father to "see the light" - who's to say that is any more authentic than "knowing" it is evil ? We are ALL entitled to our beliefs. It annoys me something when people here complain about people who really object to tarot saying "how can I make them see they are wrong." They are no more "wrong" than we are. Beliefs and faith are not stone things that are or are not rock-solid true.

I ask again - do you have children ?

He is entitled to his beliefs, but his are of restriction, fear, close-mindedness, and suppression while hers is of transformation, openness, and self-expression. I think it's obvious who is vibrating at a higher energetic level here. You can't make those people change, you can only show them a different way and hope that they see the benefit of it, which is what I suggested she do.

I am not a parent, and I don't ever plan on being one for personal reasons. That does not mean that I don't understand the parent/child dynamic. I understand the unconditional love a parent has for their children and the desire to see them do well, but many parents are so stuck in ego mind, believing that everything they know is the Truth, that they will not allow their children to deviate from that path. The role of a parent is to setup their child to become their own true authentic self, and nothing more. Anything beyond that is ego mind, 8, 9, an 10 of swords energy, trying to influence and manipulate. I think it's good that you have recognized areas in which your parents might have been wrong, and I say this with absolute respect, but there are areas in which you are manipulating your children away from their authentic selves that you don't even realize. We all do this, for we are all products of an ego driven society. None of us will ever be able to break away from the negative aspects of ourselves without a connection to the higher realms, which is one way in which Tarot can help us.

Barleywine

36? If you're paying rent (even nominally) and not living there for free, it seems you could demand a certain amount of space. If it's the other way around, I can see the need to tread carefully. But really, respect should pass both ways, it's not simply your obligation and his expectation. He seems to have a rather archaic view of things, given that you're both adults. We had a similar issue with our son when he was 17. My wife found his glass bong in a crawl-space and took it out and smashed it on some rocks, saying she didn't want it in the house. Turns out it had cost him $60 of his own money, which was a bone of contention for a while. He thought I had done it, so he took a project we had worked on together and smashed that. Life can get complicated . . .

Beancrew49

36? If you're paying rent (even nominally) and not living there for free, it seems you could demand a certain amount of space. If it's the other way around, I can see the need to tread carefully. But really, respect should pass both ways, it's not simply your obligation and his expectation. He seems to have a rather archaic view of things, given that you're both adults. We had a similar issue with our son when he was 17. My wife found his glass bong in a crawl-space and took it out and smashed it on some rocks, saying she didn't want it in the house. Turns out it had cost him $60 of his own money, which was a bone of contention for a while. He thought I had done it, so he took a project we had worked on together and smashed that. Life can get complicated . . .

Ha ha, and what do you know, it turned out to be one of the cleanest, cheapest, most effective medicines on the planet!