Thoughts VS Emotions

Perris

What's the difference between thoughts and emotions in a reading? For example, if you get The Lovers card as what someone thinks about you, does the meaning change than when you get it for how someone feels about you?

I feel like in both of these situations, the fact remains that the other person feels a pull towards the other person.

What do you think?

Thanks!

DDwarks

Not necessary a pull I would say.

How they feel is their heart's opinion.
How they think is their mind's opinion.

If they feel in their heart that you are The Lovers, it could be that to them you are the right partner, soul mate.

If they think in their mind that you are The Lovers, it could be they see you as someone to cheat with or someone making choices about their life/ on a crossroad.

1Eleven

Thought/thinking and feelings are 2 sides of the same coin. Our thinking creates what we feel.

gregory

My view exactly. Sometimes we try to rationalise our feelings by thought, but it doesn't work the other way around. In a reading like that, I wouldn't try to separate them out.

Intotouch

I think the answer to this question depends very much on the reading and the reader. I definitely can see how someone may think very differently to how they feel about another. For example, a person think about someone primarily as their lover because that is what the relationship is and has been, but may feel afraid of this person or indifferent towards them. They may still climb into bed with this lover at the end of the day and continue to do so but the feelings that they may have towards this person may not be loving or lustful. Plenty of people stay with a partner because they can't afford to leave this person or are afraid to. This is just one example. Relationships can vary hugely from one to another.

If the lovers comes up for how someone thinks about you one day and how they feel about you the next this does suggest a unity of thought and mind.

However if you judge a situation by the one reading (something I think advisable, I prefer to wait a month before asking again about a situation. Although there is the temptation to keep doing readings until you get one that gives you the answer that you want) and you choose to pull cards separately for a person's thoughts and feelings towards another you are making it impossible for the tarot to show the same card for both. So perhaps you should either put the cards back before you draw one for feelings after you've drawn a card for how someone thinks about another, or maybe you should draw one card to represent both a person's thoughts and emotions.

Grizabella

Thoughts and feelings are different things but they often---or maybe almost always---influence each other. For instance, you can think somebody is an oaf but still feel fond of him. He's a lovable, charming person you're fond of but he's still an oaf with no social finesse. In fact, maybe that oafishness tempered by his endearing qualities is part of his charm.

nisaba

What's the difference between thoughts and emotions in a reading?

Well, for example, someone might *think* someone they love is being a bit of an idiot at the moment, but they *feel* that they adore them anyway.

They might *think* that the legal contract they're about to sign is perfectly fine after reading the fine print, but they might *feel* uneasy about committing themself anyway.

They might *think* that the intelligent, affluent, pleasant person they've been introduced to would make a fine future partner, but they might *feel* that they make their flesh crawl and don't want them anywhere near them.

That's the difference. One is an intellectual, rational process, the other is an instinctive, irrational process.

So the lover's card as feelings: depending on the artwork, I'd take that as a *feeling* of being committed to the other person (not just attraction, attraction is more a Two Cups thing), while as thoughts I'd say it's about a moment of hard and life-changing choice. :)

Emma313

Feelings are more important than thoughts

Thoughts are throw away things

Perris

Not necessary a pull I would say.

How they feel is their heart's opinion.
How they think is their mind's opinion.

If they feel in their heart that you are The Lovers, it could be that to them you are the right partner, soul mate.

If they think in their mind that you are The Lovers, it could be they see you as someone to cheat with or someone making choices about their life/ on a crossroad.

Could you clarify how you see someone to cheat with here? I could see the card as a choice... But not necesarrily the latter.

Perris

Thought/thinking and feelings are 2 sides of the same coin. Our thinking creates what we feel.

I don't necessarily agree with that take. For example, with my ex, I feel like I'll always love him in a way, but I think I would never want him in my life again.