Hermit: Rays of Light

Aeon418

Would you say then, that the Hermit is a Master of the Temple?

The grade of Hermit is a kind of catch-all term for the Supernal grades. So at the very least he is a Master of the Temple. But the body and mind he uses as a 'vehicle' is that of the Exempt Adept 7=4 that he was before he became NEMO. (Note how we can't see the Hermit's face. He is Nemo - No Man.)

From the Abyss comes No Man forth, but a Star startles the Earth, and our Order rejoices above that Abyss that the Beast hath begotten one more Babe in the Womb of Our Lady, His concubine, the Scarlet Woman, BABALON.

Ask yourself: then what happens to he discarded elements of the Adept? They cannot be left as they are, to disintegrate, or to become vehicles for obsession. This entity which was the Exempt Adept has been built up in years of unremitting toil, as worthy Workshop wherein the Great Work should be accomplished. It has moreover been sanctified and glorified by the Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel.

So as each Master has his own appointed Work to perform in the world, he is cast down into the Sephira, suitable for that work. If his function is to be that of a warrior, he would find himself in Geburah; if that of a great poet or composer, in Tiphareth; and so on. He, the Master, inhabits this dwelling; but, having already got rid of it, he is able to allow it to carry on according to its nature without interference from the false Self (its head in Daäth) which hitherto had hampered it. ("If I were a dog, I should bark; if I were an owl, I should hoot," says Basil King Lamus in The Diary of a Drug-Fiend.) He is totally indifferent to the Event; so then he acts and reacts with perfect elasticity. This is the Way of the Tao; and that is why you cannot grasp the very idea of that Way—much less follow it!—unless you are a Master of the Temple.

The Pyramid and slanted ray of light are possibly Harris' abstract representation of a Master following the Way. The Lamp that he carries shines with LVX and guides those who "cannot grasp", "much less follow" the Way of the Tao.

Zephyros

I confess not to know anything about Tao, yet, and most of what you say goes completely over my head, but in any case, thank you again. You hint with a sentence and everything is suddenly connected beautifully. I've been writing about the Hermit on and off for about a month now, and that pyramid somehow served to connect it all, as well as reference the beautiful Yod/Virgo, male/female, infinite point/expanse attributions I found so sublimely beautiful and spoke of in another thread.

This is shaping up to be one of my favorite cards!

Always Wondering

You hint with a sentence and everything is suddenly connected beautifully.

That's it. I've been trying to put my finger on this for a while now. Just enough so we can come to our own conclusions and have our own :lightbulb.

AW

Richard

I confess not to know anything about Tao, yet, and most of what you say goes completely over my head, but in any case, thank you again.......
Get a good translation of the Tao Te Ching (Dao De Jing) and read it with an open mind. It's short and sweet. The Tao is probably the model for the Force in Star Wars. I consider myself a Taoist (among other less reputable things })).

Zephyros

Get a good translation of the Tao Te Ching (Dao De Jing) and read it with an open mind. It's short and sweet. The Tao is probably the model for the Force in Star Wars. I consider myself a Taoist (among other less reputable things })).

That's good, because I consider myself a Jedi :)

Richard

The adding of digits used in numerology is equivalent to reduction modulo nine. (I can explain the maths, but it involves algebra, which seems to be a widespread allergen among Tarot people.) Anyhow, 9 (Hermit) reduces to 0 (Fool). The Hermit is the Ancient of Days. The Fool is sort of like an "innocent" Hermit (or something like that).

MasterJm

4th degree of traditional Freemasonry. Ray of Light...i think. Ηe is the Secret Master.

Aeon418

V.V.V.V.V.

Liber X

2. I who comprehend in myself all the vast and the minute, all the bright and the dark, have mitigated the brilliance of mine unutterable splendour, sending forth V.V.V.V.V. as a ray of my light, as a messenger unto that small dark orb.