HOF- Most Challenging Card

nami

I'm not seeing too much discussion of HOF, despite how long it's been out now. I'm sure there's enough users out there who have the deck to get a varied response. Is there a particular card that really challenges you? Is there one that you just can't get anything out of no matter how many times it comes up? Or one that just makes you a little on the uncomfortable side?

For me, Shadows of the Past and The Queen of Shadows tend to leave me with a feeling "oh no...", even though I adore the artwork in both cards. The Thief just leave me feeling blank.

Somewhat related, if you also use FO as well, how do the cards that challenge you in HOF compare with any that challenged you in FO? When I first started reading with FO, it was the Glanconer and the Soul Shrinker that gave me the most trouble at first.

autumn star

The hardest card for me to get the meaning of in the HoF - is the Big Behind. I get this card quite often and I read the meaning in the book and it leaves me feeling quite blank, I just can't seem to get my head around it.

One card from the Faeries Oracle that is always a bit of a mystery to me is Epona's Wild Daughter. When I first got the deck and looked through it this card stood out to me as one of the most appealing, then I read about it in the book and I don't think I fully grasped it. Sometimes, she comes up in readings and I am not fully sure of her message.

Linh

For me personally, every single card of HoF is challenging (haha :D)
There are two things that make the quality of HoF sub par to that of FO. First of all, the quality of the artwork really varies. While the Queen of the Golden Bough and the Returning is beautiful and stunning, The Queen of the Night and other cards just doesn't cut it for me. I think there's such a big gap of artistic effort in some of the cards.

Secondly is the meaning of the cards. I did for my brother a reading using the HoF and all he gave me was "that was cheesy." I also do think that I can connect to FO much better as well, and in my opinion, the meaning of the cards in FO takes us through a much more proactive journey in fixing the situation. Because for example all the queens of the HoF represents blessings of some sorts. Well that's good to know, but it doesn't urge the sitter to do anything particular, you know what I mean?

Anyway, just my two cents about HoF. In general, beautiful deck. But I wouldn't use it to read for other people, though. :)

nami

Autumn star, Epona's Wild Daughter used to give me a hard time too.

You've got a point on the card meanings, Linh. Just comparing the two companions books alone, it's clear which is the superior one. I think Wendy may have been trying too hard one some cards to tie them into various sets and the overarching heart/relationship theme. The cards themselves still evoke a lot of meaning to me.

autumn star

Linh said:
For me personally, every single card of HoF is challenging (haha :D)
There are two things that make the quality of HoF sub par to that of FO. First of all, the quality of the artwork really varies. While the Queen of the Golden Bough and the Returning is beautiful and stunning, The Queen of the Night and other cards just doesn't cut it for me. I think there's such a big gap of artistic effort in some of the cards.

Secondly is the meaning of the cards. I did for my brother a reading using the HoF and all he gave me was "that was cheesy."

I am fond of the HoF and read with it quite often - but I fully agree about the varying artwork in HoF and there is really no comparison between the companion book. The Faeries Oracle book wins hands down. One thing I prefer about FO is the Singers - they add an extra element to readings :)

One thing that has always annoyed me slightly about the HoF - is that some cards have really similar meanings - like the Boy & Pan. The Paradox, Shapeshifter & Theif all seem to be quite similar to me. Has anyone else found that?

nami

autumn star said:
One thing that has always annoyed me slightly about the HoF - is that some cards have really similar meanings - like the Boy & Pan. The Paradox, Shapeshifter & Theif all seem to be quite similar to me. Has anyone else found that?

Yes, I can see that. The Boy's description even references Peter Pan all throughout it. It's an appropriate way to capture what "eternal young boy" means, but a different analogy might have been better given that there's Pan in the deck too. (And I find it odd that Pan and Tink are both in the deck. Neither leave me blank or anything, but they just don't really appeal to me in any way. Which presents another type of challenge.)

autumn star

I have drawn the Lady of Leprechauns recently too - and find her quite difficult to interpret.

jema

you guys actually de-enabled me on HoF
Had it on order but had second doubts, read this thread and cancelled order lol.
Well, I am not much of an oracle person really and the FO is a challenge enough for me.

autumn star

you guys actually de-enabled me on HoF
Had it on order but had second doubts, read this thread and cancelled order lol.
Well, I am not much of an oracle person really and the FO is a challenge enough for me.

It is a really beautiful deck and I would definately recommend getting it :) I just have a few issues with the book and how some of the card meanings are really similar. The art-work is really lovely, and some of the cards are just stunning. I works well with the Faeries Oracle and you can combine the decks :)

Ivy Rhiannon

I think the "oh no" is a challenging card. Not that it is hard to grasp just that something crazy happens whenever I draw it! LOL I was doing a reading exchange and had typed up a really long and in depth reading when I flipped over the last card, the oh no. I was sitting there staring at it thinking..."what the hell could this mean" when my computer shut off. o_O OOOOHHH NOOO! Still I'm fond of it for the memories xP

I love the heart of the fairy oracle but I love/hate the book. I really don't use the book for interpretations just to see the artists take on a card. Some of the descriptions I think are way off. But I love, love this little deck. It has soooo much personality!