Wildwood Tarot: The Hooded Man: The Hermit

GryffinSong

At first glance, a typical hermit. Hooded and robed figure, face obscured, staff in one hand and lantern in the other. But there are many added elements. Holly leaves and berries on his/her robe. A tiny wren looking as if they're having a conversation. A wooden door with a wreath above it. And snow on the ground. This looks like a cozy winter scene. Homey and safe. This is the hermit in his own yard and home, rather than out on the cliffs. And the wren shows him not totally alone, but in community with the natural creatures around him.

Personally, I find the use of the holly on his robe to be a little distracting. I start making too many associations with Christmas. But other than that very tiny thing, I love the energy of this card. I tend to like the hermit anyway, but the little additions, and the overall feel of safety and hominess make this a gentle, loving hermit. Someone who would be approachable in time of need. Someone who is very wise and mysterious, but also willing to share his wisdom with those who seek him out.

Lifeisabutterfly

Wildwood Tarot: The Hooded Man

Ok here goes!
I noticed here 2 details in the Hooded Man card (the Hermit) which really lend a whole new level of perception and teachings regarding this archetype. I have never seen this before in any deck or tarot book and they are quite amazing. I noticed them last night in that often twilight laden sort of period: the right before bedtime time....I'd like to see if there are any takers for this one before I reveal my discoveries...maybe you will find a few more....don't know how long I'll be able to hold out before giving them away!!!!!!

Lifeisabutterfly

Indeed GryffinSong: Those were the two details I was dying to discuss:
I too saw it as being very Christmassy and at first was a bit distracted and perplexed, actually, with it--but like you say, that was the point. The wreath on the door lends a totally different angle to the Hermit's usual abode--isolated and a bit gloomy and cold. Now we are being shown that there can be a festive air to the meditative retreat, not loosing touch completely with humanity's celebrations, good cheer and good will toward others-- and warmth. A Christmas atmosphere can also send the message that within the Hermit's cave there is a beautiful Gift....
The second detail I noticed was the wren but what made it so special was the fact that it made me want to smile--the wren seems so cute and playful--probably a bit mischieveous for all it's importance in the shamanic realm....I thought--no matter how serious and far away the Hermit is and no matter how spartan his task--he can always keep his sense of humour!
These details in my view lend a whole new flavour to this favourite card of mine....much food for thought...

Wolfspider

I thought maybe the holly on his robe was a reference to the Holly King, except if I remember the lore correct midwinter is when his reign ends and the Oak King takes over so maybe that doesn't quite make sense...

Herodotus

My understanding is the holly on his robe represents the resilience of nature even in the darkness and cold of the winter, since holly grows during the time when many other plants are dead. I agree that it is a little 'christmas-ey', but I think that the intent here is to connect the Hermit to his place on the wheel of the year. Holly and greens were a tradition for the winter solstice long before Christmas, after all, and I think for that very reason of resiliency and rebirth.

Another point: his abode is clearly a tree; is it in fact the World Tree pictured on card 21? If so, what does that suggest about this character?