Pearls of Wisdom ~ 3 of Swords

6 Haunted Days

I feel very drawn to this image and get a very intense feeling of sorrow, heartbreak and pain from it, but also a feeling of release and cleansing as well.

It's twilight in the deep of Autumn and a full moon looks down on this scene of sadness. The sky is an intense purple, blue and fuschia of a sunset after a thunderstorm, saying to me that the emotion of this card while destructive and scary can be a cleansing event too. The tree is shedding her leaves and looks melancholy with her eyes closed. The hill in the shape of the woman even looks distressed with a hand to her head. There is a waterfall to the right bringing it's cool, crisp refreshing waters rushing right past the man in the act of piercing the final sword in the heart (his heart?), there are 2 purple roses lying near the it. A fire burns vigorously beside him. The man looks resigned, mournful yet resolute. He either knows this has to be done, even though he has fought it, or actually sought it out...knowing there was no other way.The bleeding heart match those exactly of the twilight sky....the sun is setting in this heart....it's time has passed and it's time for it to die, to be pierced to get at the heart of the matter or relationship. The man has his other arm held close to his across his heart....as if in pain....it's his very own heart he is stabbing with those 3 swords. After the stalemate and indecision of the 2 he has finally taken action and even though the heartbreak is intense, it's also a huge relief and cleansing action. There are curls of smoke/ether/spirit? coming off one of the streams of blood. The spirit or soul being released from the broken and bleeding heart? To start anew?

The borders of this card have 2 bells on top, both have infinity symbols. When I saw these bells on the 3 of Swords, my 1st thought was "For whom the Bells Toll"...the ringing of churchbells in a funeral procession. The death knell. This definately the end of something, but the infinity symbols tell me that within death is life and it's a neverending cycle. Admist the image, the bells though making me think of death....give me hope as well. Bells can also symbolize the connection between heaven and earth, reflecting cosmic harmonies....they were believed to ward off misfortune and conjure good spirits. There is a burning candle beneath each of the bells speaking to me of enlightenment and illumination within the darkness and sorrow of this card.
There is a purple rose signifying sadness closed up on the left. The pearls are on the sword hilt and around the purple rose perhaps saying the wisdom to be found here is within the action taken with the swords....there are no runes on this card. On a side note I thought it interesting that the 3 of Swords in the Tarot of St. Petersburg has bells on it to!

:love: Miss 6

Rede Seeker

Well said...

The Tree's expression is like a Mother watching her child do something she would have spared him from doing if she could. There apear to be green arms rising to the left of the tree just above the man's head - could this be some new idea or experience made possible by the 'death act' being performed in the foreground?

There are three strands of pearls. One hanging from the hilt of a sword; one on the ground that surrounds a purple rose and sword point; one lieing off on it's own partially propped against wall.

I like this version of the Three of Swords because it shows the act of separation being committed in context to it's surroundings.

Sulis

6 Haunted Days thanks for your beautiful description of this beautiful card. I particularly like what you say about the waterfall and the clean water rushing past this man as he pierces the heart, the water washes his troubles away.

This card says so much more than a heart with three swords stuck into it set against a stormy sky (I really don't like that RWS version and all it's copiers).

He looks as if he's finally putting something to rest, he's had enough and he's ready to move on.
I hadn't noticed the bells until you pointed them out but yes, 'for whom the bell tolls' seems really appropriate. I like to think of the Three of Swords as the thing that happens to break the uneasy peace and stalemate of the Two. A decision is made, things need to be said and are said, sorrow is felt (maybe) but it's needed in order to move past whatever has happened.

Fire is cleansing and transformative too so maybe the fire signifies that.

It's just occurred to me that all the elements are present so it's almost like a cleansing ritual, there is a finality there.
The heart is being pinned to the earth, the water from the stream passes by, the fire also cleanses and we can see the tendrils of smoke (air) coming from one of the swords.
Bells also represent the element of Air or even of Spirit in ritual.

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling :)

Attachments

• 3 of Swords.jpg
    3 of Swords.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 181

6 Haunted Days

Sulis said:
6 Haunted Days thanks for your beautiful description of this beautiful card. I particularly like what you say about the waterfall and the clean water rushing past this man as he pierces the heart, the water washes his troubles away.

This card says so much more than a heart with three swords stuck into it set against a stormy sky (I really don't like that RWS version and all it's copiers).

He looks as if he's finally putting something to rest, he's had enough and he's ready to move on.
I hadn't noticed the bells until you pointed them out but yes, 'for whom the bell tolls' seems really appropriate. I like to think of the Three of Swords as the thing that happens to break the uneasy peace and stalemate of the Two. A decision is made, things need to be said and are said, sorrow is felt (maybe) but it's needed in order to move past whatever has happened.

Fire is cleansing and transformative too so maybe the fire signifies that.

It's just occurred to me that all the elements are present so it's almost like a cleansing ritual, there is a finality there.
The heart is being pinned to the earth, the water from the stream passes by, the fire also cleanses and we can see the tendrils of smoke (air) coming from one of the swords.
Bells also represent the element of Air or even of Spirit in ritual.

Sorry if this post is a bit rambling :)

Thank you Sulis :)

I agree, I think this is card looks almost like a cleansing ritual, and is portrayed much more in-depth in this deck than the RWS and it's clones. I've never been a huge fan of that image. This card has so much layers of meaning then that image showed.

Rede Seeker

The Green Hands

Yikes! Take a visual step back and you see those green hands touch a head with green hair flowing over a shoulder. I can make out breasts and hips - this is a Green Earth Spirit reclining forming the horizon line.

6 Haunted Days

Rede Seeker said:
Yikes! Take a visual step back and you see those green hands touch a head with green hair flowing over a shoulder. I can make out breasts and hips - this is a Green Earth Spirit reclining forming the horizon line.

Yep! I mentioned that in my description. Almost all the hills are actually a woman, or a face. This deck is full of them, and rock formations are faces too. Rather than an earth spirit I take it to be symbolic of how the earth is a living entity, and the divine (Goddess and I should add God too as some look quite masculine) is one with the earth.

Rede Seeker

ooops...sorry

There is so much to see in these cards, I get lost in the details sometimes. Yes, you did mention the Green Earth Spirit on the horizon.

Marli

Other Nature Spirits Present Also

Thank you 6HD for a beautiful description and interpretation...

I would just like to point out some of the other nature spirits that I noticed...

The source of the waterfall seems to have a minimum of 3 faces carved into the rock

Even the top of the water from the waterfall forms a face inbetween those of the rocks

The fire also has at least 2 faces that can be seen in it

These spirits in addition to the Tree Spirit and the Earth Spirit already previously mentioned, all have somber expressions....there seems to be sooo many present here to witness this emotional act, it confirms for me that this was an act of absolute neccessity, and one which was unavoidable, and that even though he is clearly heartbroken, he is not as alone as he thinks, indicated by the presence of the others, and even the fact that their expressions share his grief.

Rede Seeker

Yikes...I see them, now, too

I can find the three Rock Spirits at the waterfall.

I found the face in the waterfall once, but I blinked and it hid itself again.

Marli, please set those keen eyes of yours on the fire. I can see one face, possibly two in the flames. Those faces are somber, too.

Marli

Re: The Faces In The Fire

RS, Yes I had noticed them as well, and had actually mentioned it... I think that's why the image overwhelmed me with how many were actually silently gathered to offer him support

As for the face in the water, just look between the rocks where the water begins and you will see it again, the face is inline with the others formed in the rocks/mountains.