Transparent Oracle Study Group - Techniques and Mechanics

Gypsy Wolfwoman

NorthernTigress said:
Terminology:

I personally have not found an easy way to shuffle the T-O. If anyone has discovered a good shuffling technique, please, please, please let me know!

My adult sons and I play Magic: The Gathering, both against each other and in tournaments. Most of the cards in a really top-notch deck are worth between $2 and $100 each, so they are only played in deck-protectors, and - gods forbid! - NEVER shuffled! The method most used by any pro Magic player is to shuffle the cards into stacks - take the deck and lay out the first through, whatever number you like, say 6th cards, then keep going around until all the cards are stacked, as if you had X number of "players", then restack all the small stacks into one stack with the entire deck involved. This way you've redistributed the entire deck, bent no cards, and have a reasonable expectation of an even distribution of cards w/o having to physically manhandle them. It's worked great for me with the TO!

Chiska

Gypsy Wolfwoman said:
My adult sons and I play Magic: The Gathering, both against each other and in tournaments. Most of the cards in a really top-notch deck are worth between $2 and $100 each, so they are only played in deck-protectors, and - gods forbid! - NEVER shuffled! The method most used by any pro Magic player is to shuffle the cards into stacks - take the deck and lay out the first through, whatever number you like, say 6th cards, then keep going around until all the cards are stacked, as if you had X number of "players", then restack all the small stacks into one stack with the entire deck involved. This way you've redistributed the entire deck, bent no cards, and have a reasonable expectation of an even distribution of cards w/o having to physically manhandle them. It's worked great for me with the TO!

Awesome idea!! MY T.O. just arrived today. I didn't expect them to be so large! This method will work great for "shuffling."

Chiska

So, how did everybody go about cleaning the residue off the disks? I read in the book to use a soft cloth, but it is merely smearing it. I want to be careful with them - I am concerned that they could scratch easily.

I was thinking a bit of washing up liquid in warm water would get the residue off, and even though the book said that was O.K., I am still hesitant to try.

Sidhe-Ra

Chiska said:
So, how did everybody go about cleaning the residue off the disks? I read in the book to use a soft cloth, but it is merely smearing it. I want to be careful with them - I am concerned that they could scratch easily.

I was thinking a bit of washing up liquid in warm water would get the residue off, and even though the book said that was O.K., I am still hesitant to try.

Actually you're the first person I've heard of who has had a problem with residue on the T.O., but it was a big issue with the T.T.

Seriously, gentle soap and water will be fine- tried and tested xx

Chiska

Sidhe-Ra said:
Actually you're the first person I've heard of who has had a problem with residue on the T.O., but it was a big issue with the T.T.

They are quite oily - I had to wash my hands thoroughly after handling them. When I tried using a soft dry cloth as recommended, they just smeared! There were also fingerprints on some of them. I was handling them by the edges, and looking at them as I lifted them off of the pile.

I will give them a gentle wash this evening!

Chiska

Sidhe-Ra said:

Okay! That is done. I will tell you - at first I was disappointed in the deck as the cards were so grubby - and translucent rather than transparent. But a gentle wash up and they are actually transparent. And no longer oily. I must have just got an extra well lubricated batch - like at the beginning of a run after machinery was lubricated.

Now, to use it...