Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

kellyshay

Theres a few...For me its the celestial tarot, legacy of the divine and the sweet twilight...
i just couldnt connect with it! no matter how hard I try. Maybe its not time yet...
But I have it up for trade if anyone is interested! :)

foolMoon

I seriously regret having bought the Simply Deep tarot. Complete waste of my money.

It's not just that the art is . . . not good (and yeah, "not good" is the kindest thing I can think of to describe it). It's also that it seems uninspired and very much not "deep" in the least. And some cards have a distinctly anti-female vibe to my eye.

It's unpleasant just to look at it; I cannot imagine reading with it.

But . . . I'm a collector. Hence I bought it in the first place despite some misgivings. And thus I haven't immediately put it in the charity bin.

I almost bought this deck, but maybe should reconsider. But then there are so many folks who love this deck. Regret is, I guess, subjective thing too?

foolMoon

A great thread. Read them all through with much interest. Quite many mentions on Deviant Moon and The OSHO Zen Tarot.

Cannot comment on DM as I never owned one, but OZT, I had problems connecting to this deck initially. Later I found out that this is not a traditional tarot as such, but a tool for Zen meditation - delving into one's psychology rather than future.

It is a far better tool in certain occasions when offering psychological guidance to the seeker i.e. what the seeker should be aware of, focus to, and work on with regards to their lives right now, rather than predicting, what will / might happen in the future in certain area of their lives.

My regrettable buy in Tarot deck was, The Enchanted Tarot by AF.
This would have been a great deck, if images on the cards were larger size without borders.

Intricate details are mostly lost due to smallish images on the cards, and they are further squashed by unnecessarily and relatively large boarders, which resulted in connecting to the cards challenging. But the card stock itself was not small at all. Images in the book were lovely.

I gave them away to other Tarot Students for their studies.

flyingwind66

Gendron Tarot for sure... I loved the transformation card that was the only one I connected with. The rest of everything was so cut and paste art nouveau with weird proportions... I ended up giving it away to a friend who loved it.
Everything I am a bit more neutral about but I guess I semi-regret buying Haindl tarot... colours were super murky and I also ended up giving it away.

feynrir

[...] Also, the Vampire Tarot by Place.

Great intellectual research on the vampire mythology, but I find the card stock and size awful. The courts are also strange. I love the images and concept, but it's quite difficult to get around.

Could you describe the cardstock and size further please?? I've been coveting this deck a bit but I dislike unwieldly cards! Thanks

cSpaceDiva

Vampire Tarot by Place

Could you describe the cardstock and size further please?? I've been coveting this deck a bit but I dislike unwieldly cards! Thanks

The cards are 3 1/2" x 5 1/4", the lamination is super sticky, and it has sharp square corners.

I too regretted the Gendron and the Sacred Circle as soon as I got them. They were among my first online tarot purchases and served as a lesson in how different cards can look on the screen vs. in your hands.

There are several others that I'm not fond of and sometimes wonder why I have them, but in most cases I paid very little for them so I don't regret buying them.

CuriousWalker

Most recently the Tarot of III Millenium. It looked interested and I got it for cheap but then I opened it. No way in hell I can read with it. The majors are interesting but the pips are lacking. The idea for them is interesting: using a painting and breaking each part into a minor but....no. Doesn't work for me. Last time I do impulse buys....

La Hierbera

Revelations Tarot.

I was initially intrigued by the concept of the reversible artwork and was really fond of many of the cards, but once I started seeing the likeness of C-3PO in some of the images, the rest of the images also started unraveling for me. I have grown to really hate the artwork.

Laura Borealis

I regret buying the Dollar Tree tarot. Sure, it was only a buck. But would any of you just take a dollar bill, crumple it up, and throw it away? I bet you wouldn't. That what I felt like I'd done after I bought it.

Padma

Mostly all of my 40 deck collection. What a waste! I only really read with a few of them...what to do with the rest? I want to own them...I love all the pretty pictures, such amazing art! But I also want to be rid of them. Dilemma. I find I am not a true collector, after all.