Chinese Astrology

MeeWah

I just found this thread--I like it!!
Purplelady: You are a wealth of info; I am impressed.
'Tis been a long time since I dabbled in Chinese Astrology, & most of my books are still packed.
How does one figure the rising sign or what element?
Hubby is a Horse in the Year of the Horse.
Silvereye: I am as you, too--though years older, I am sure!

purplelady

Hi Meewah! As far as the element (metal, water, wood , fire, or earth) you just have to look it up in a chart or book. It rotates every 5 years obviously, and is based on the 5 chinese elements.
As for the rising sign , that too I have a chart for..............it is Like the western rising sign charts in that the 24 hour day is divided into 12 , 2 hour periods with a sign assigned for each period. But it seems to differ in the sign it assigns for each time , and the sign does Not correspond to the same sign as western astrology, though the idea and basic format of rising sign , and even the 12, 2 hour periods are the same division of the day.
SO , if I know the birthday and Hour of birth , I can tell you the year sign and rising sign.

purplelady

O.k. Malachite, it's your turn! RAT:
The rat is charming, easy to get along with ,but a penny pincher! But he will never be found wanting for admirers.He is never as quiet as he may look! He is very popular and has a multitude of friends. He is bright , happy , and sociable. He enjoys parties and other large gatherings. He can always be found in a close circle of friends or fellow conspirators. He likes getting involved and is very outgoing. He can tend to get too emotionally involved and entangled in other people's lives with friends , associates , and family members. Only his capacity for shrewdness and love of money can come above that!
He may allow his relatives , in-laws , and friends to stick around his house and live off of him! But he is irritated by idleness and waste. On the negative side, he loves to gossip and critisize. He may be a busybody, or a packrat! He could be an excellent writer, and probubly keeps tabs on everyone in town! He has an uncanny eye for detail , a good memory, and is incredibly inquisitive. He will be successful in whatever he choses to do. He will adapt himself to the situation at hand. You don't need to worry about his safety, as he always checks the back door before entering into any transaction. He knows how to get out of trouble fast, and rarely fails.
His stumbling block is overambition. He tries to do too much too soon and as a result scatters his energy. He sometimes has trouble relying on his own intuition and sound judgement because he cannot pass up bargains and so called good deals. He needs to quit while he is ahead.
Wood Rat:
He will try to explore everything and will find good use for almost anything he comes across. He can make the system work for himself and has a very good understanding of it. He is always concerned about finding the whys and wherefores. He is always worried about the future.

silvereye

Here goes

Actually I think we naturally learn it cause you hear it so many times during Lunar (Chinese) New Year! The TV programme just keeps telling you what would this year be like for Rabbits, for Dragons....THings like that. Anyone into FengShui here?
They will tell you for which astrological sign, according to Feng Shui, which direction is the best, blah blah blah...
The sequence of Chinese Astrology is easy to memorize.
All those animals' name are only one syllable in Chinese pronounciation. So we just memorize it like we memorize the sequence of Alphabet.
For example, Dragon is pronounced as Lung
Snake= Seh.
So you just have to memorise one syllable per word.
Here's the sequence:
Mouse= Shi (like when you ask people to lower down their voice and say Sh..)
Oxen= Ngao
Tiger= Fu (like pronoucing Full without the LL tone)
Rabbit= Tou (read it like toast without the st sound)
Dragon = Lung
Snake= Seh
Horse = Ma
Sheep= Yeung
Money = How
Hen= Gai
Dog = Gou
Pig= Ju (like when you read G )

And there's a story about Chinese astrology telling you why the mice came first.
Have you heard about it?

kayne

I'd love to hear it! Thanks, Silvereye.