what is mars squaring saturn?

sagitarian

I don't know anything about astrology, but there's been some really whacked out things happening as of late. I talked to a friend of mine he does know astrology, and he said "honey, it's because mars is squaring saturn right now" and then told me to look that up and find out for myself what exactly that means. So naturally, I've come here to try to gain a wide variety of insight. Any interpretations would be great! Thank you, very much!

dadsnook2000

No square here.

Your natal chart does not have a Mars-square-Saturn pattern and Mars at this time is TRINE Saturn from early Pisces (Mars) to early Cancer (Saturn). By the way, congratulations. You are currently experiencing your first Saturn-return cycle -- probably realligning priorities, goals and resources, or at least thinking about it. By the time May 2004 roles around Mars will be your natal Saturn's position and will add some "go-power" to those decisions. Meanwhile, there are no squares between these two. Dave.

Minderwiz

Hi Sagitarian,

I'm not sure of the timescale here - that is when your friend mentioned Mars squaring Saturn because over the last few days (and currently) Mars has actually been trine to Saturn.

Alternatively your friend may have done your chart and this is an aspect which you have natally (If you post your date, time and place of birth I will be able to tell you that).

However, none of the above really answers your query so I'll try and do that.

Firstly Mars represents action, aggression, assertion, drive, courage, fighting, combatitiveness. Its the drive that makes you get up and do something to assert yourself in the world.

Saturn represents limitation, restriction, authority, the father figure, fear, the need for security, order, structure, organisation.

Traditionally both these planets were regarded as malefic - they brought bad things. Mars is the Roman god of War (Incidentally the Greek equivalent is Ares, or Aries) so Mars could well mean having to fight and die in the Ancient world. Saturn was limit, restriction something that stopped you achieving or put obstacles in your path. If Saturn was against you then you had a hard time achieving things.

The Square aspect is one of 90 degrees (quarter of the zodiac circle) and it was looked on as creating tension and frustration - something new that you have to deal with.

Put these three together and Mars square Saturn suggests that you might have to fight for (or against) authority, that you might have to fight your way through obstacles, that forces will fight to prevent you succeeding. At a lower level that you might have a fear of fighting or acting or at an even lower level that you want to act but you are continually frustrated by obstacles.

The trine aspect I mentioned above is very different from the square, energy flows easily and you have a natural aptitude - in this case you may be able to control your agression and direct it so that it has maximum affect. You may be able to use it to overcome obstacles.

A more modern view of Saturn's role is that of a teacher - Saturn presents you with situations that are a challenge. You might not like them but you learn from them and through the learning process achieve maturity.

Hope this helps - post your details if you want more.

edited to say that I started this before Dave's post above - so sorry for some repetition.

sagitarian

Thank you both very much!

Minderwiz ~ Well, you hit the nail on the head! I'm tired of the obstacles that I've been facing. It seems as though anything I want, or want to do, I have to fight for and there is no "end" to how much I have to fight for it. It's one thing after the next. I really am getting stretched out here, frusturated, and low on energy to want to fight.

I don't think my friend did my chart, as I don't think he knows when I was born. In any case, I was born 12-8-73, @ 8:59 am. If you need more info then pm me. Cuz I'd really like to know what the heck is going on. This is getting ridiculous, however, I did recieve some good news today to better my situation. So that I'm happy for.

Thank you again, for both of your insights! I really appreciate it!

Minderwiz

Hi Sagitarian,

The only thing missing is your place of birth - just to speed matters up I'll also send you a PM. You can then either post it here or simply reply to the PM.

sagitarian

Clearwater, Florida.

Minderwiz

Thanks Sagitarian

I'll do the chart and have a look if there's any Mars/Saturn or indeed other intersting stuff.

Minderwiz

Just a very quick couple of points having done the chart (aren't computers wonderful)

Firstly your friend must have at least looked up the planetary positions for your birthday. Mars indeed does square Saturn - Mars in Virgo and Saturn in Sagittarius - it's quite a close square too (01' 01") and involves your eighth and eleventh houses.

Secondly you have a triple conjunction of Sun, Mercury and Venus as one angle of a Grind trine involving Jupiter and the Moon. All in Fire signs. Now that's what I call blessed with energy.

PS you nearly caught me out - I spent a few moments wondering why someone who took the name Sagitarian would be born in August!!! Don't forget here in Europe its dd-mm-yy (on second thoughts its a good job you are called Sagitarian otherwise you'd have had the wrong chart LOL)

Royal Cat

Minderwiz,
Thanks so much for your excellent explanations! I always learn so much when reading your posts. :) I'm glad sagitarian asked this question as it explains some things in my own chart as well.

Cat

edited to correct spelling... oops!

Minderwiz

Royal Cat

Glad to help and if you have anything you have a query about just post away.