Saturn trine Neptune

Silverlotus

I'm reading a book where the author claims that people with Saturn trine Neptune in their birth charts "...probably practiced high magic in a past life and have a potential to be an adept in this lifetime." She also says "...you are a seeker far along the path."

I'm wondering about the validity of such an interpretation. I've done a bit of poking about on the internet, and I haven't found an similar interpretations. I have found pages that say this aspect means you are more likely to be involved in the "occult" and such, though.

The reason why I am asking is because I am trying to judge the value of this lady's book. By page 23, she has already made some statements that I disagree with, and I'm curious about some facts that I can't validate on my own. This is not a book on astrology, which makes the statements even more suspect to me. I'm guessing she has got this aspect in her chart and is trying to make herself sound more witchy. :p Of course, I may be being a bit harsh... and I'm getting rambly. Sorry! :) Thanks for the help in advance.

Minderwiz

Yes I would have considerable doubts about that claim.

Saturn takes something like 29 years to go round the Sun, Neptune takes so Saturn will trine Neptune approximately once every ten years but when it does it will be in trine for the best part of a year. Thus we would have to conclude that those far advanced on the path are like buses - none arrive for ten years and then a several thousands come along at once. The only people with this aspect I could find in my (admittedly limited) database where Ulysses S. Grant, Kurt Cobain and Jackie Onassis (make of those what you will).

Of course it could be argued that any Saturn/Neptune aspect may carry this quality (and personally I have a Saturn / Neptune Septile - so I'd love it to be true) - and that would increase the frequence of 'arrivals' - though again we might consider whether the contacts should be 'easy' or 'hard' aspects or both.

Stephen Arroyo certainly links Saturn with Karma and its house placement may indicate karmic duties and responsibilities. Many astrologers refer to Saturn as the Lord of Karma. Arroyo also sees Neptune aspects to personal planets as playing a role in seeking spirituality. However he does not talk about Saturn/Neptune links at all. Sue Tompkins relates Saturn / Neptune to the giving of selfless and disciplined service to others - in her phrase practical compassion. And she does see a possibility that this might be symbolised by an aescetic life style but she certainly doesn't go as far as the claims that your author makes.

I would not take one aspect between two planets (whatever they were) as evidence of being advanced along the path or an adept at magic or whatever. I would be looking for other indications and if there were three or more then I might well begin to suspect something. Indeed for something such as this I would want a fair number of indicators.

Saturn represents fear (of the unkown) just as it represents boundary, limit, responsibility and authority. So a Neptune / Saturn link could mean transcending boundaries (sounds promising) Escaping responsibility (not so promising) Fearing a loss of control (not promising at all) It might even signify agrophobia (fear of open spaces). Yes it could also mean building spirituality but again I would want to see evidence from other parts of the chart. I'm certainly not kicking the ball out of play but I don't think you can draw such a conclusion from one defined aspect between these two planets.

If there are any esoteric astrologers out there they might possibly be able to make a far more informed comment than I can.

Royal Cat

Minderwiz said:
The only people with this aspect I could find in my (admittedly limited) database where Ulysses S. Grant, Kurt Cobain and Jackie Onassis (make of those what you will).

That's quite a trio! :D

I have Saturn Quincunx Neptune - with my limited understanding of astrology that seems to suggest to me that I would not be particulary interested (or adept?) in "occult" matters. Now I could be entirely wrong with that interpretation (I am quite green in astrology), but obviously I am interested in Tarot and astrology or I wouldn't be posting here. :)

Cat

Minderwiz

Not sure it would mean you were not particularly interested but it could well be taken to mean that you find some difficulty in co-ordinating the energy. The quincunx is often associated with friction or irritation, something that is not particularly dramatic in your life but almost requires disproportionate effort to deal with it. So in this case you might feel that you can indeed marry the spirituality of Neptune with the tutelage of Saturn and become an adept but when you try to meditate you are always put off by a fly buzzing round the room. It never quite seems to work. Another practical example of the Qunicunx would be me - I love music, especially opera and I'd love to be an opera singer - but there's one drawback - I'm tone deaf - I can't hit a note let alone hold it.

OK that's predicated on the assumption that the Saturn/Neptune link does indeed bring some indication that you could be Spiritually advanced.

Silverlotus

Thanks for the help. :) The further I read into this book, the less likely I am to believe things she says. There is a wee bit of good info mixed in with a lot of bad. And her trying to create this mystique for herself is rather annoying.

Interestingly, when I pulled out some notes I made on my chart a while back, I found I have Saturn trine Neptune. Guess I'm just as witchy as this lady. lol!

Minderwiz

Silverlotus said:
Interestingly, when I pulled out some notes I made on my chart a while back, I found I have Saturn trine Neptune. Guess I'm just as witchy as this lady. lol!

Ahh - well she must have been right all along then :) :)