the Magician and Astrology

Adde

I will get back to all of your message, but first...

Mercury in Aries is quick decisions—but the Magician is not about making quick decisions. It's about ideas and fast talk. Look at that that table in RW—cup, pentacle, wand sword—that isn't making a fast decision, that's putting out idea after idea. Like a salesman offering his wares.

Mercury in Virgo is details. Again, that's not the Magician. He's not about the details and correcting you if you get them wrong. The magician doesn't want to show off his orderly knowledge. More like gemini, he wants to show off his quick wit, his ability to change the subject on a dime, to talk about anything and everything. "Patter" is the word used by magicians. To keep your attention on them and what they're saying and off the tricks they're playing with their hands.

Could it be somebody with Mercury in Scorpio? I just got a phone call from him today - but I didn't want to answer - it's a guy who I didn't thought as the Magician, but I'm beginning to notice things. He's very into NLP, not really a thief, he won't steal, but he would fool you if he gets a chance, he's very good with words. A very manipulative kind of guy. Though not entirely bad... I just feel I have to pay attention.

Thirteen

Zodiac is the LAST thing that matters in identifying someone

Could it be somebody with Mercury in Scorpio? I just got a phone call from him today - but I didn't want to answer - it's a guy who I didn't thought as the Magician, but I'm beginning to notice things. He's very into NLP, not really a thief, he won't steal, but he would fool you if he gets a chance, he's very good with words. A very manipulative kind of guy. Though not entirely bad... I just feel I have to pay attention.
Here's the important thing to remember when it comes to Astrology and the Tarot. You ONLY use the astrological associations when you're really stumped. For example: you do a reading for someone and say, "There is a Hierophant important in your life. He or she might be a relative guiding you, or a religious figure, or a teacher." And the person says, "I go to school and have a lot of teachers guiding me."

You want to figure out which one of these teachers is the Hierophant. But you do NOT start by asking, "Is one of them a Taurus." You start by saying, "Well, are any of them deeply traditional and conservative? Maybe religious?"—"yes," says the person, "I know three who are like that." THAT is when you ask, "Is one a Taurus?" When you can't narrow it down any further except by bringing in the astrological associations.

Why is the astrological association of a card one of the last things you should look at when trying to figure out who a card might be indicating? Because any of us can be any of those cards (especially majors/court cards) at any time. I'm a Cancer. But I'm not aways the Chariot, nor always represented by that card. There are weeks when I might be the Magician if it's a week when words flow from my lips and ideas pop to mind. Or I might, one month, be the Empress, all nurturing and trying to help someone grow. Or I might teach a class and turn into the Hierophant.

We are never one card all the time. In fact, we may change what card we are (or that represents us) several times in a day. At work I may be the Empress, at home I may be Magician, out socializing I may be the High Priestess.

What I'm saying is, you don't need to keep looking for that "mercury in gemini" person. Nor do you need to ask "could it be mercury in scorpio." It doesn't matter. If this guy is ACTING like that Magician either in his positive guise as idea man or in his negative guise as trickster then he IS the Magician and where Mercury is in his charts does not matter. I'll repeat that. It does not matter. What does matter is whether he strikes you as the Magician, currently, this week of his life, in his actions and personality. If he does, then he is your Magician.

Does that help? :)

Adde

Here's the important thing to remember when it comes to Astrology and the Tarot. You ONLY use the astrological associations when you're really stumped. For example: you do a reading for someone and say, "There is a Hierophant important in your life. He or she might be a relative guiding you, or a religious figure, or a teacher." And the person says, "I go to school and have a lot of teachers guiding me."

You want to figure out which one of these teachers is the Hierophant. But you do NOT start by asking, "Is one of them a Taurus." You start by saying, "Well, are any of them deeply traditional and conservative? Maybe religious?"—"yes," says the person, "I know three who are like that." THAT is when you ask, "Is one a Taurus?" When you can't narrow it down any further except by bringing in the astrological associations.

Why is the astrological association of a card one of the last things you should look at when trying to figure out who a card might be indicating? Because any of us can be any of those cards (especially majors/court cards) at any time. I'm a Cancer. But I'm not aways the Chariot, nor always represented by that card. There are weeks when I might be the Magician if it's a week when words flow from my lips and ideas pop to mind. Or I might, one month, be the Empress, all nurturing and trying to help someone grow. Or I might teach a class and turn into the Hierophant.

We are never one card all the time. In fact, we may change what card we are (or that represents us) several times in a day. At work I may be the Empress, at home I may be Magician, out socializing I may be the High Priestess.

What I'm saying is, you don't need to keep looking for that "mercury in gemini" person. Nor do you need to ask "could it be mercury in scorpio." It doesn't matter. If this guy is ACTING like that Magician either in his positive guise as idea man or in his negative guise as trickster then he IS the Magician and where Mercury is in his charts does not matter. I'll repeat that. It does not matter. What does matter is whether he strikes you as the Magician, currently, this week of his life, in his actions and personality. If he does, then he is your Magician.

Does that help? :)

Yes, it does. Very, very helpful, thoughtful and eloquently put.

I've just arrived home and read your reply, I'll get back to this thread. I feel I learned something important from it.

Have a magical week-end!

JoyousGirl

Don't know if this has been said, but Mercury is also quicksilver. A liquid metal. Slippery stuff that slips through your fingers.