Golden Dawn seasonal correspondences?

teomat

I'm trying to figure out how the suits correspond to each season according to the GD tradition.

From reading DuQuette's Thoth book, it says that the Aces (and Princesses) rule the following signs:

Ace of Wands - Cancer, Leo, Virgo
Ace of Cups - Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius
Ace of Swords - Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces
Ace of Disks - Aries, Taurus, Gemini

Therefore, did the GD assign the suits as Spring (Disks), Summer (Wands), Autumn (Cups) and Winter (Swords)? Or is it more complex than that?

Grigori

I don't quite follow the connection you are making teomat. I understood the Aces/Princess related to an area of sky/globe moreso than a season, though don't really know with any certainty.

I would relate the suits to seasons as
Swords, Air (Hot and Wet): Spring
Wands, Fire (Hot and Dry): Summer
Cups, Water (Wet and Cold): Autumn
Disk, Earth (Dry and Cold): Winter

teomat

Hi Grigori,

If you have DuQuette's book, I was looking at the section on the Aces (pages 166-169).

For each Ace, DuQuette mentions the area of space that they rule - for example, the Ace of Wands rules the Cancer-Leo-Virgo quadrant above the North Pole. These three signs are the ones for summer. The other signs are ruled by the Aces I listed previously, hence making Disks-Spring, Wands-Summer, Cups-Autumn and Swords-Winter.

Like you, this is different to how I've always perceived the suit/season associations too - I just wondered if this is what the GD considered 'canon' though...

Tzadkiel

Hi,

if you follow the most used tradition it's:

Swords = Air = East = Spring
Wands = Fire = South = Summer
Cups = Water = West = Autumn
Disks = Earth = North = Winter

My personal associations are rather: Disks = Autumn (autumn colors, harvest); Swords = Winter (icy, "cool", clear); Cups = Spring (melting snow, new life, emotions); Wands = Summer (hot, fiery) - but as I said: these are my personal impressions and do not follow magic(k)al traditions like the Golden Dawn or Wicca.