Decks brought under the influence/on a whim.

Nemia

I don't drink and don't do anything else, but I think I use sleep deprivation as a kind of mind-altering thing. I have insomnia problems and don't really do anything about it - actually I enjoy being awake at night. And I could probably look at my tarot collection and find with ease the decks that I bought in daylight while I was wide awake, and those that I bought when I got caught up in weird desires in the middle of the night...

But I let go the decks that I can't work with, and with most of them, I get some kind of working relationship.

My worst enemy when half awake is competionism, is there such a thing? I say to myself: I have three decks about saints already, and the fourth would complete my collection!, and then I buy it! what for???? Okay I might study them all one day when I have the time and leisure to do so, whenever that will be... but in the middle of the night, horror vacui grabs me and I have to complete my sub-collections :-(((((

Luna's Crone

there were fan threads for a deck or two, that turned me into a mob mentality member.
Twice. Since sold them, and would avoid mob mentality threads but they are seldom seen now because the artist/publishers are no longer here to flog them :)

In a very nice way I was eventually encouraged by a busy thread to buy The Faeries' Oracle by Brian Froud, which in turn led to a number of book purchases, and joining in a thread about just what the Faeries had been up to when we weren't looking. It was all good fun but the problem with the deck was I couldn't actually read with it.
this was typical of how the deck abused me...
http://quirkeries.blogspot.com/2011/10/daily-draw-faeries-oracle-faery-guide.html

we are just human after all, I don't regret buying any of the 100's I've had over the years, there are lessons in everything.

i have put that deck up for sale, several times and took it back off. I guess its gonna stay, i don't believe in faeries but they are my faeries.

Luna's Crone

That is fun !

I did something of the sort this week. Not under influence per se, more under semi-sleep groggyness I guess.

I have had the german version of the Mythic tarot for a long while in my faves on Book Depository.

These days I do not sleep well at all, you know this state where you are extremely tired, but still cannot sleep - it's depressing when you have to get up early the next day. So during the night I sometimes take my epad to surf on the net in the dark without waking my partner, in the hope of falling asleep while reading (sometimes it works)
The other night I was surfing and "window-shopping" : iddly brownsing craft supplies, books and decks and stuff that I like but that I do not "want very hard" nor need at all, and that I do not have any intention of buying any time soon.

Next morning I woke up and thought I had dreamt that I was buying the Mythic tarot. But the dream was feeling quite real.... I checked my emails, and there it was : I had clicked all the way to "checkout and pay" for the Mythic tarot during the night, and only had half-formed memories of doing so.
Thankfully it was only 8 euros and free shipping..... that fact was probably why my sleepy self gave in to the temptation I guess. I hope it will not happen again... Probably not, now that my concious self is aware of the danger !

Now I feel like a fool, telling this story here ! Please do not make fun of me too hard.

I do have a tip that will help avoid that. all computer screens, phones and tablets emitt a blue light of some sort that disrupts the brains sleeping patterns. if you want to read at night read a real book with a book lite or the reading nook with a light. you can get the reading nook with out the light cheap on ebay or buy the nook with the light on B&N for $99. if you can afford it, get the one with the light. BUT not the tablet nook. it doen't have the blue light and you can read it in the sunlight too. And all you can buy either the nook are magaizines books and stuff NO TAROT DECKS. or stay away from you phone, computer or tablet for at least an hour before you go to bed. it has helped me. I have to reading nooks with two different accounts.

Luna's Crone

Dear Carojulie, I think you have come to the ONE place in the universe where nobody will tease or judge you! We've all been there. Or very nearly been there!

I don't know in what state of mind I was when I bought the Night Sun deck, so totally not my cup of tea with its computer graphic images, busty women with evil grins and weird compositions. I bought it, I can't read with it (yet), but I'm fascinated by it and using now the exercises from the Tarot Kaizen book to get to know it better.

You should have seen my face when I unboxed that deck. Like the people in comedies who wake up in the wrong bed with the wrong back turned towards them :-D

I am SO fascinated with that deck one of my all time favorite cards is
Strength from that deck. But it hasn't been enought to make me buy it. YET

Luna's Crone

I don't drink and buy (except more drinks, of course), so I can't contribute there. I bought the Gilded Tarot on an impulse because I wanted to show my support for my local New Age shop owner and it was the only one she carried that interested me. (It wasn't completely "out of the blue," though, I saw it here first). Lately I find myself using it every day.

its a lovely deck, but my great niece really liked it and i ended up giving her one, what i didn't with the other i don't remember. It was one of my first decks.

Luna's Crone

You should have seen my face when I opened Hermetic tarot I have bought because...I don't know why...

It was so cold and alien for me. I couldn't go beyond 10 cards. I love color and more cheerful images. More magic and fun. I think now it's a "happy" workable deck in it's new home.

i find decks are what you make then, well except for mary el. i should spend more time with it.

Madrigal

Dear Carojulie, I think you have come to the ONE place in the universe where nobody will tease or judge you! We've all been there. Or very nearly been there!

I don't know in what state of mind I was when I bought the Night Sun deck, so totally not my cup of tea with its computer graphic images, busty women with evil grins and weird compositions. I bought it, I can't read with it (yet), but I'm fascinated by it and using now the exercises from the Tarot Kaizen book to get to know it better.

You should have seen my face when I unboxed that deck. Like the people in comedies who wake up in the wrong bed with the wrong back turned towards them :-D

This is one that's been in and out of my cart. One I nearly bought on a whim but looking at the scans there were some cards that were just, no. The Empress in particular. Death is a little heavy-handed. And pretty much all the women actually lol. But it kept at me so I bought the app. It remains to be seen whether I'll end up buying the actual deck but the app has mollified me for now. I just bought the Kaizen book you mentioned. Thank you, it looks like a great resource.