The Spanish Tarot - historical deck.

Bernice

Discussions re. this deck aren't here in the history/marseille thread so here's the link:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1864772#post1864772

GREAT deck. Has elements of all the early decks - and may be earlier than some of them !

And I'm so pleased that the pip cards have their numerals (small) at the bottom so you can see at a glance if they're upsidedown. Not that I 'do' upsidedown cards, but it's good to know.

Bee :)

mary ventura

I recently traded for this deck and I really like it. I looked through it 3 or 4 times before I realized that one child on The Sun has 3 arms ... It really has a different feel to it, and some of the expressions are so odd. The Emperor looks like his face got put on too high (bad face lift?) and I love the the Caballo de Copas' purple horse. The version I have is the brown tuck box with the Star on the front.

Mary V

Bernice

MaryV: I looked through it 3 or 4 times before I realized that one child on The Sun has 3 arms ... It really has a different feel to it, and some of the expressions are so odd. The Emperor looks like his face got put on too high (bad face lift?) and I love the the Caballo de Copas' purple horse.

LOL! This deck certainly has some idosincrasies (is that how you spell it ??). Arms, legs, and as you say, heads(!) are not 'quite right'. Giggling now, because one of the kings (swords?) looks like an advert for those big puffy tyres, Michlin?

But I really do like it. The cardstock feels so good, so comfortable. And I'm not at all put off by the occasional wonky person. I looked hard at the Sun card and see now that the kid on the left is masking the the upper arm of the kid on the right - so no 3-armed people... as yet, 'cos i'm still looking!

Melanchollic

I had this deck many moons ago. I actually bought it in Mexico. I use to 'crack-up' every time I saw the "Judgement" trump. The woman on the card has the expression on her face like, "Oh Shit!" as if she knew which way her judgement was going! LOL.

Bernice

This deck has got to be a 'hum-dinger' for people who read the card images visually.

Mel, you should have kept it. It's so ....unique? Some cards are beautifully detailed while other cards are hilariously hit-&-miss, or 'miss' altogether!

The Emperor reminds me of a Rooster, The King Coins has a cast in one eye (or is it a dollar/pound sign.. :)), The Hanged Man seems to have two tongues and half-a-moustache, and as you say Mel = Judgment is a Hoot!

Can't spell - laughing.....

But this deck has endeared itself to me. I'm using it along with the Old Fashioned method. A throughly enjoyable deck.

sapienza

I have just recently purchased this deck from the trading forum, it's without box and LWB but I've always thought it looked interesting so figured 'why not?' Now I'm certainly looking forward to its arrival :)

Bernice

Hi sapienza,

The LWB with my deck is in Spanish, English, French & Portugese.
A quick look at the brief card meanings (upright & reversed) shows that they are RW meanings. There's a Celtic Cross spread as well. (I never use it - ever).

gregory

Bernice said:
This deck has got to be a 'hum-dinger' for people who read the card images visually.
REALLY ? OK - this will be the TdM I shall use when I try, then ! :D

Bernice

Gregory, it's a deck with the most oddly put-togther people I've ever seen!

The style is not anything like the sort that I prefer - but the images (hah!) are nice & clear - no 'bleeding colours' or ancient smudges. All the pics are here, they're the best scans I've come across for this deck:

http://trionfi.com/m/d0.php?decknr=0209

Now, admit it. These card-people have the most evocative countenances ........... and the Emperor looks like hes' had his head cut off and then stuck back in the wrong place !!! Definately a deck with character.

gregory

Oh I HAVE it; I just never thought to USE it , being an illustrated pip sort of girl !