LoS Universal Marseille Lemon

BSwett

I'd love to know what you think of the book.

I wrote this on another thread, but I'm pasting it here since I really stand behind Mr Bursten's (Buster!) book.

What lovely talent Lee has to convey information in everyday words. His approach is simple and fantastic. Many have tried to bring this concepts to the light before, but very few have been able to pass the flame without blowing it off.

After some pages of Tarot history review, with references to bigger and more in depth books for those who care to dive into the deep end, he helps the reader design a storyline by giving an example of his own. This quickly becomes engraved in one's mind, and makes it easy to tap into your own fountain of interpretations. He does this while always encouraging originality and spontaneity.
The section on pips was at first alarmingly short, but later you realize that any more words would have probably blurred the idea that he presents.

Some interpretations of the Majors are far different than the meanings that I've held on to for over two decades (The Magician, The Hanged Man), yet he bases this on the perspective of someone handling or reading the cards during the TdM's early years; and I like this concept. I'm happy to add a little of this interpretative style to my toolbox!

Regardless of what you think about the LoS deck, I would highly recommend this book(let).

Paz,
BeeSwax

Krystal Mystic

Universal Tarot of Marseille

I guess I am in the minority, but I like this deck. The card stock could be a bit thicker, though, and the backs are fuzzy. I compared this deck to the pictures of the Burdel in Kaplan, Volume 2, page 328. They are very close with some small facial differences. I like that most of the original lines have been preserved so that the crudeness of the drawings is maintained. The images haven't been cleaned up as in the Fournier deck. I also like the rich, warm colors that are used.

Really, the only thing I don't like is that Lo Scarabeo always translates the English titles as "pentacles" instead of "coins". For every other language they use a word that means coins or money. I wish they would stop doing that on the old, historical decks.

Metafizzypop

I wrote this on another thread, but I'm pasting it here since I really stand behind Mr Bursten's (Buster!) book.

What lovely talent Lee has to convey information in everyday words. His approach is simple and fantastic. Many have tried to bring this concepts to the light before, but very few have been able to pass the flame without blowing it off.

After some pages of Tarot history review, with references to bigger and more in depth books for those who care to dive into the deep end, he helps the reader design a storyline by giving an example of his own. This quickly becomes engraved in one's mind, and makes it easy to tap into your own fountain of interpretations. He does this while always encouraging originality and spontaneity.
The section on pips was at first alarmingly short, but later you realize that any more words would have probably blurred the idea that he presents.

Some interpretations of the Majors are far different than the meanings that I've held on to for over two decades (The Magician, The Hanged Man), yet he bases this on the perspective of someone handling or reading the cards during the TdM's early years; and I like this concept. I'm happy to add a little of this interpretative style to my toolbox!

Regardless of what you think about the LoS deck, I would highly recommend this book(let).

Paz,
BeeSwax

BSwett, thanks for giving a little rundown on the book. It sounds good. I wish he'd talked more about the pips, though. But I do appreciate what he said about the Majors, especially the Hanged Man. In the LWB that comes with this deck (also from LB), the meaning for the HM is very different from what's commonly known today for a meaning. And it makes perfect sense that the meaning for this card, and others, would be a reflection of its times. Interesting. People can learn a lot about history just by looking at tarot card meanings.

mryt ntrw

Where did you get your kit?

I've been searching for a copy of the kit and book. Because I want the book, can you tell me where you got your copy.

I can find a copy on Amazon called Universal Tarot of Marseille Kit (English and Spanish Edition) [Cards], but I'm not sure it contains the book (I'd insert a link to the page if I knew how to do that). I have emailed lo Scarabro to see if you can get just the book, but had no reply.

You obviously got the book, so if there are other copies at your source I'd like to try it.

Thanks

Desparate so not sorry if this is off topic

Julie
Sydney, Australia

BSwett

Hi Julie. That's the one! The kit does come with the book.

mryt ntrw

Thank you

Thanks for the quick response, off now to order from Amazon, and practice patience while I wait for the post man. At least now I know the book will be on its way.

Back into lurk mode

Julie