Cherish vs just do it...

Inconnu

Listening to some Sandy Denny & a wee snort of whisky today. It's thunder & raining, just lovely here.

Examining my TDMs. I have some "self published" that I really love. They are unusual & not packs that are available through the usual outlets like Amazon &c.

However they do tend to a bit more fragile than packs from major publishers like US Games & Lo Scarabeo. Being laminated & square cornered.

I've been collecting these historic TDMs just to admire the images & compare with each other. But I'd really like to use them, though I know that would result in damage to the cards. Shuffling will de-laminate them.

I've been using an 81' copyright Grimaud which has the TDM images & will hold up to years of regular use. But it's a compromise. I'd much rather be fanning out the historic cards & time traveling..but that would damage the cards.

So, friends, what do you think? Keep using the indestructible Grimaud forever or break out the antique reproductions & slowly destroy them?...through an act of love?

Still listening to Sandy, "I'm a dreamer"...& a shot.

Richard

......I've been collecting these historic TDMs just to admire the images & compare with each other. But I'd really like to use them, though I know that would result in damage to the cards. Shuffling will de-laminate them.......
If it is okay to look through the cards, it is okay to use them. Just work out a shuffling procedure that doesn't bend or otherwise stress the cards. Don't riffle, and never ever bridge. It looks cool, and it's fast, but you're probably not interested in looking cool, and speed is not of the essence unless you are reading professionally.

Le Fanu

If they're genuinely antique, like 18th or 19th Century I personally would use them very gently on very special occasions.

If we're talking Meneghello reproductions, they'll stand up to years of use and will only get better with age.

Bluefeet

I don't use any of my antique decks for readings either, but I have no problem shuffling and reading with reproductions including those which have uncoated card stock and pointy corners. :) I found that some fancy reproductions are actually more durable than the mass market decks.

Yves Le Marseillais

Each problem has his solution...

Bonsoir everybody,

Well I would suggest to:
Have two copies of your Historical decks and facsimiles.
One for your eyes only and pleasure. Comparing decks feed your creativity remember.

Another one to play with.

This last one could be rounded by yourself and handle with care.

Old decks and their reproductions can be considered as old fellows who need special cares and dedication.

But they works ! and you can get good results in your readings only by implementing another "atmosphere".
Either you organise a "show" around your spread with antic objects, lights and so on...
Or in contrary you can provoke a visual contrast between your clothes and external decoration and this good old deck or his good facsimile.

in fact all depends of YOU and your skill to build up a favourable ambiance to Tarot.

Tarot is a tool but You are the driver of this Cosmic vehicle.

Salutations from Marseilles City

Yves LM

Inconnu

Thanks all. I think I will give em' a try but with a light touch as suggested. It'll be fun working with the old images.

Wil_Mac

This is definitely the classic quandary for the antique deck owner! I'd agree that it's a great pleasure to pull them out on special occasions, but what a good dose of heartbreak if you were to bend a corner! The whole process gets so much more careful and deliberate with an older deck...

Sherryl

The other day I was looking at my Pierre Madenie deck and really had the urge (which I managed to suppress) to shuffle the deck and do a spread.

Up to now, I've been using a surrogate deck - my very used and grubby Ancient Italian. I shuffle and lay out the cards, then pull the corresponding cards from a deck like the Madenie or my Il Meneghello decks, which I consider too precious to shuffle.

But recently, this has started to feel unsatisfactory. When I take my precious decks off the shelf they feel cold and alien. I want to warm them in my hands and infuse them with energy.

Then my rational, scientific voice tells me to get a grip, it's only printed cardboard, and the cards don't care whether they're shuffled and used or stored on a shelf. I'll get the same reading no matter what technique I use. But there's another quiet little voice whispering that maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe I need to summon my courage, treat these precious decks like a friend, take them to the park and hang out, have a conversation, invite them to share my every day life, not just special occasions.

Yves Le Marseillais

We have only one life.... but backups decks

The other day I was looking at my Pierre Madenie deck and really had the urge (which I managed to suppress) to shuffle the deck and do a spread.

Up to now, I've been using a surrogate deck - my very used and grubby Ancient Italian. I shuffle and lay out the cards, then pull the corresponding cards from a deck like the Madenie or my Il Meneghello decks, which I consider too precious to shuffle.

But recently, this has started to feel unsatisfactory. When I take my precious decks off the shelf they feel cold and alien. I want to warm them in my hands and infuse them with energy.

Then my rational, scientific voice tells me to get a grip, it's only printed cardboard, and the cards don't care whether they're shuffled and used or stored on a shelf. I'll get the same reading no matter what technique I use. But there's another quiet little voice whispering that maybe I'm missing the point. Maybe I need to summon my courage, treat these precious decks like a friend, take them to the park and hang out, have a conversation, invite them to share my every day life, not just special occasions.

Hello Sherryl,

Hum..... two Madenié is my best recommendation: One for your shelve and one for your spreads.

Okay okay I am your Tarot dealer and my place is not comfortable when I say this I know :((

But it's my best solution because I do agree with you that shuffling a real old historical deck is the real thing... and facsimiles where made for this aim.

Your servant and Tarot friend

Yves

frelkins

If they're genuinely antique, like 18th or 19th Century I personally would use them very gently on very special occasions.

If we're talking Meneghello reproductions, they'll stand up to years of use and will only get better with age.

Camelia Elias uses her 1899 ASS Otto Tragy Jugendstil every single day. It still looks great, thanks to the quality of these old decks.

Agree on the Osvaldos too.