6 of Wands as the negative in a relationship

Thirteen

co-dependent "energy" loop

The 6/Wands represents a feedback loop of energy. The champion scores a win, people cheer feeling like he's scored that win for them. People cheer and the champion, energized by that cheering, scores a win for them. You can see how that could result in a negative, I think. First off, it becomes a kind of co-dependency. The champion should be able to win whether he gets cheered or not...but he can't. The people should be able to cheer on their champion whether he scores or not...but they can't. They are too reliant on the wins/applause to give them that energy. And that's not good.

Likewise, there is going to come a time when the champion will not score, or the audience won't cheer...and then what happens? In a relationship, it can be very easy to become co-dependent on the other person to cheer you up/energize you when needed...and vice versa. But that means that neither of you feel you can ever give it a rest. You feel always obligated to provide cheer/energy to each other, and never to show unhappiness or a lack of enthusiasm. I think you can see how that would be a pretty strong negative.

Michael Sternbach

Interesting question.

I have never thought about it in this light but let me try.

I think, for me, it could reflect those relationships where either one or both people have at least a dose of narcissism and see in the other something that confirms their belief of being superior or better than "others". It could be either because they see in each other someone as superior as they think they are or someone who functions as fuel for their belief by acting like a fan. Like the stereotypical queen bee's friends in highschool movies.

It could be a dynamic duo or a mutual admiration society that certainly gives a bit of a high to the people involved and detachment from reality.

I think it isn't a really negative card but simply carries with it the dangers that being self involved or self congratulatory have in any other situation. Except not in any extreme forms. A warning maybe, but not something grave and ominous.

I agree that this card can indicate a degree of narcissism in a relationship. A fairly high degree, actually. A sense of superiority. Sometimes along with the idea that the partner is no longer needed.

BeyondtheVeil

obeygravity

Thank you everyone for your feedback! Here's just some for now but will be back to give other responses!

@BeyondtheVeil: I never thought to think of that card that way but I guess if you think everything is perfect as is then of course you wouldn't think of improving anything. There are definitely times when people get involved with someone and end up just coasting because there's no real push for improvement or growth. I can also see the abuse aspect. Maybe someone being fixated on always being praised. It could also I guess be seen as someone with a bit of a god complex "I made you the way you are so you owe me everything" kind of deal.

You are welcome! I wouldn't have thought of it either, but I actually got it in a relationship that I was in. lol I was confused for awhile at what the negative was about being successful. So, that was just from experience. That card is usually a positive one in my readings, but it came up {played out} that.. the negative in the relationship.. was the success. lol

Hugs,
BeyondtheVeil