The De-Enabling Thread

Alta

Honest, I generally try and de-enable when someone posts here, but The Archeon? no way.

Annabelle

Honestly? I can't stand the Archeon. I've considered selling it or trading it many times . . . and it's only rarely that I consider letting any deck go, so that's proof that I dislike it.

The art is too dark and "muddy" - I like clean lines, and there are none to be found in this deck. Many of the cards don't seem to relate to any known system of tarot, which makes it a difficult deck for me to use. Also, it's one of the USG decks that was printed in Italy - it has a strange, almost sticky, semi-shiny coating and a strong chemical odor. At least my copy was from an Italian printing; I have no idea many reprints may have been made by now.

jackdaw*

THANK YOU, Annabelle! I was starting to think I was some sort of Philistine, like there was something about this deck I was missing, or that my memory of the laminate was faulty :) Glad I'm not the only one ;)

Chronata

The Archeon...
oh poo...
you are not alone, Annabelle( or you, Q of P)...I had the Archeon for a total of four days before giving it away...for pretty much the same reasons you mentioned.

I didn't like the cardstock, or coating...
I didn't like that I couldn't recognze a particular system (not always a bad thing when one reads intuitively...but I thought it would be more consistant)

and yes...it's dark, in a good way...but also in a muddy sort of way.

But some cards were really stunning, and the feel of the theme was really nice...just couldn't get it to speak to me.

I still have this pang of regret that I didn't give it more of a chance...but I guess I don't regret it that much, because I haven't really tried all that hard to get another copy.

Hope this de-enables further.

Fallen Angel

Good, good your helping...I feel the need to purchase RIGHT NOW subsiding...its still on my list though....its pay day soon....im in the middle.

Im fickle as hell arent I ...LMAO !!

Fallen Angel

Emily said:
I've just gone an ordered me a nice little Archeon Halloween pressie :D })

I really should stop coming into the de-enabling thread LOL

Emily,

That is hilarious, I can see that being me, I mean I only just tagged on today and had today been Wednesday that lovely little deck would be winging its way to me right now...I feel we may need to support each other on this thread ;)

:D :D :D

magpie9

HearthCricket said:
Cruel, but lovely, un-de-enabling picture of the autumnal grandness of the Archeon (as it whispers to you, "Buy me, buy me!")
That pix doesn't do them justice AT ALL! Love the leaves, though....})

Gayla

Well...I needed this threat about 5 hours ago..I caved and bought the MAAT signed deck and book...and the Blue Moon deck...

Now I want the the Tarot Bible and the harcover Encylopedia of the Tarot by Kaplan and the Acestral Tarot...and a few others...about $200 worth on Amazon...if anyone would care to stop me..I would really appreciate it. :)

jackdaw*

I can help with the Encyclopedia, Gayla - various volumes are usually available in public libraries of any size. They have the first two volumes in one of the branches of the Halifax library system, for heaven's sake!

Save your money, if you want to re-read just a couple of sections you can photocopy them. If great swaths of a particular volume appeal, then just buy that one volume.

If you're getting the Maat, I don't think you need the Ancestral Path. I think the Maat is better done, as the different cultures are spread more across the suits; the Ancestral Path struck me too much as being the Majors and four separate small decks that had little or nothing to do with one another.

connegrl

Well, you bought the MAAT and the Blue Moon so you *might* like the Ancestral a lot. Whispering in your ear...do a search on the trading forum. Oh wait...I'm supposed to de-enable you. I didn't connect to the ancestral at all. That's why I'm selling it. Can't help you with the books you want.

Jen