Tarot deck collecting.

MagsStardustBlack

Such a romantic tragic narrative Winterchild, I love it. So I really need to carry on else Il die. Brilliant ;)

Cocobird55

I enjoy collecting decks that appeal to me. When I first joined AT, I bought tons -- all the decks that most people said were wonderful. I don't do that anymore. I have a much better sense of my taste in decks, and how readable a deck will be.

gregory

What she said :) Collectors die if they complete their collection, it stands to reason, if you have stopped collecting, you are no longer a collector and therefore experience a mini death... .
Oops.... :( I was thinking of slowing down more, with a view to stopping - but if it will kill me....

Metafizzypop

Collectors can't die. Because they can never complete their collection. New decks come out all the time. It's not like there's a finite list of tarot decks in the world. It's a constantly expanding inventory. Completion is impossible.

Zephyros

I do wonder, though, how collectors actually collect. Is each deck special in some way, or do you look at USG's catalogue, buy all of it for the sake of completion and call it a day? Do you go to New Age stores, and shovel entire shelves onto the counter?

Luna-Ocean

I use to buy from the USGames catalogue and see what took my fancy, i use to have over 80 decks in my first collection some decks that i will never be able to find or even afford to get since they have been OOP.

I now concentrate more on the RW editions and clones, i will usually just browse on AT's deck lists and see what i like, there are still many that i would like to get but we will just see what happens.

gregory

I do wonder, though, how collectors actually collect. Is each deck special in some way, or do you look at USG's catalogue, buy all of it for the sake of completion and call it a day? Do you go to New Age stores, and shovel entire shelves onto the counter?
I kind of used to do that :D If I didn't have it, I'd buy it (I was in a decently paid job at that time !) Just as a philatelist would take on any stamp that fit his collection if he didn't have it.

I do recall the day my father's will was sorted - he didn't leave much, to put it mildly, but it was enough that each of us - daughters and grandchildren - got a smallish sum to spend on frivolity. I bought a microwave in his memory, as he LOVED techy things, though was hopeless at using them (he believed till the day he died that if you put something in the fridge (we gave him our old one, his first ever, when we emigrated) it would last FOR EVER...) - and I was able to go to Roddy Somerville's shop in Edinburgh and buy every deck he had in stock that I didn't have - about 200 of them, as I recall ! (He used to give me a good discount, mind... :D)

Now - while I buy every tarot deck LoS puts out, as that is sort of a "goal", I just can't - and gamecrafter, etsy and other such sites have made it totally impossible for anyone, I think.

MagsStardustBlack

I just want something beautiful. Each deck is the most beautiful deck I have ever seen (and magical I'm sure) so I buy it, adore it, then a new deck will catch my eye and that is the most beautiful deck I have ever seen and so on and so forth a beautiful circle. I browse AT deck list, then see one and Google it for more pictures, then youtube it for reviews and to see more of the deck, then Amazon it, then it's here ;)

Farzon

My name is Farzon and I'm a collector.
("Hi, Farzon!")

There are so many interesting points to this thread I don't even know where to start.

I started collecting when I was a child. I couldn't throw away anything from buttons to shoelaces or small pieces of paper. Being a collector means not being a messie [emoji6]. I would collect action figures, video games, CDs and now, Tarot Decks. And I would not give away any one of these.

It's similar to the music I listen to. Some of my favorites bands I utterly disliked first. But listening over the music again and again reveals concepts of composition, unusual rhythms and so on. Now I listen from pop to metal, from Gothic to rock'n'roll. It's arrogant but I think my taste in music is much more refined than that of many of my friends. I can listen to music and talk about music in a completely different way than others.

When you think about Tarot Decks, you'll notice the differences between the decks. Every one is like a unique approach on the theme and offers new perspectives on the meanings of the cards. So, when you're collecting it's already a bit like reading different books on the topic or reading through the forum. It really enhances my understanding of the cards. Which does not make me a better reader than a reader with only one deck, btw.

About Closrapexa's question: I mostly browse AT, drop by every morning to see if there's a new deck. The forum, too can be a great resource for upcoming decks, I found the Fountain Tarot, the XIII Tarot and some others here.
I also keep watch on deviantmoon.com or baba studios.
I never went to a new age shop actually, but I will correct this as soon as possible [emoji1]. If I'm leaving with three decks or more, it's your fault, Closrapexa! [emoji6]

gregory

Let us not discuss my tweezer collection... it is getting to be a joke around here :(