Should you buy your own decks?

Lurker

I'm getting the feeling somewhere deep down inside that I want the Thoth. :D

I'll have to take a look at Marion's thread then!

gregory

Marion's thread will lead you into all kinds of useful places. I'll see you next year, I guess.... ;)

Enjoy your Thoth. You might like to get 2. They look really good trimmed.... (there are links to THOSE threads in her list too !!!!) It's the index thread I posted earlier.

Emily

Lurker said:
I'm getting the feeling somewhere deep down inside that I want the Thoth. :D

I'll have to take a look at Marion's thread then!

:angel: Have you seen the Liber T Tarot of Stars Eternal? Its sort of based on the Thoth }) - Nice colourful deck, my favourite, kick starts the intuition. :)

gregory

Oh yes - that too. Best get both :D Comparison is important here..... })

And it is about to go out of print - so hurry..... :angel:

Merenwen

Lillie said:
Yeah, you should buy your own decks, because if you leave it up to other people they always get ones you didn't want.
You mean you've managed to get others to buy a deck for you? The closest I came was deck that was once bought for fun and ended up in the loft. It was dug out and given to me. Years after I bought my first deck. And it's not s deck I read with, just one I keep for sentimental value (it was a gift after all).

What I'm trying to say is that it's ok to buy your own deck. Gifted decks are nice and kinda special, but that doesn't mean to say you must not buy your own, especially if you're picky in the art you like (as I am)

As to the thoth, you know I couldn't stand those images when I first started? They repelled me. I'm indifferent to them now, but I'm starting to become curious about some of the deeper aspects & symbols. Maybe in a year or so it will be burning curiosity and I'll end up buying it, but I'm glad I didn't try and start with that deck. Too much for my little brain I think.

firefrost

Lillie said:
Yeah, you should buy your own decks, because if you leave it up to other people they always get ones you didn't want.

Lol...Only my immediate family would attempt to buy me a tarot deck - and then they'd ask me which I wanted. Last year I got the Ferret tarot and money towards the Margaret Petersen.

This year Hubby's buying (bought) me the Silver Bohemian Gothic. If it hadn't been that one, it would have been the Minute that I think I'm going to miss out on because I can't afford it until February!

blackstormhawk

Doesn't matter at all.

I've bought them, had them given to me, and okay, so I have never actually randomly found one unattended on a street corner, but it doesn't much matter how a deck comes into your hands!

I have heard a somewhat foolish version of "the only way you're supposed to acquire a tarot deck" that says you have to steal it, but nothing that starts off with that amount of negative karma can come to a good end, methinks.

Queen of Disks

I buy all of mine. Everyone I know is either too holier-then-thow, doesn't know, or doesn't really care about Tarot.

tabi

I buy the majority of my own because of my taste being so varied. Really it is.

The Thoth is an interesting deck, which I enjoy greatly but then my learning deck was the Quest. :D :p It is Thoth-ish based but not "scary" Thoth. lol

6 Haunted Days

Heck yes, you think I'm waited around for someone to buy me over a 100 decks? ;) Seriously....very old and useless myth.