How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot' When Talking?

How Do You Pronounce 'Tarot'?

• ta - ROW or

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TAR - oh

Votes: 32 27.8%
  • TUR - oh

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • te - ROW

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • TEAR - oh

Votes: 40 34.8%
  • te - ROTT

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • TEAR - it

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • turah

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rhapsodin

Singular: tarocco pronounced taROCK-o

Plural: Tarocchi pronounced taROCK-i

The plain old Tarot, pronounce it TArot the A as in map.

Plural: TArots.

:D

firecatpickles

Tarocchi is pronounced teh-RO-chi ;) hence the "h" to indicate a soft "ch" sound rather than the hard "k" found in the singular.

Sar

None of the options, I say it as I write it: tarot.

gregory

You haven't tarrott in there - and there are quite a few who say that.

firecatpickles

None of the options, I say it as I write it: tarot.

The pronunciation I use isn't listed, either, so I picked the closest.

te-Row

In Zappa-es, the ta- of "tarot" is pronounced with the "a" sound in the English word "hat".

Darkmage

I say TEAR-rit. This basically gives me away as originally being from the Northeast US, along with the fact I never lost my native NYC accent. We say sumptin' instead of something, for example.

As for TEAR-row around parts of NYC and they think it's a root vegetable the African immigrants buy at local farmers' markets. Ask for TEAR-rit and you'll be pointed to the nearest New Age shop or bistro with a resident reader.

Barleywine

The pronunciation I use isn't listed, either, so I picked the closest.

te-Row

In Zappa-es, the ta- of "tarot" is pronounced with the "a" sound in the English word "hat".

Although he was from Baltimore, Frank Zappa honed his articulation in Southern California, which is barely part of the US (or even of Earth :)), so I take his pronunciation accordingly.

But he is my personal hero, for a number of reasons, both social and medical.

firecatpickles

Although he was from Baltimore, Frank Zappa honed his articulation in Southern California, which is barely part of the US (or even of Earth :)), so I take his pronunciation accordingly.
lol

Baltimore and Southern California, I am convinced, both share an extraterrestrial ZIP code.

Madrigal

Wow, and here I was thinking the TARE-oh/sparrow/Pharoah pronouncers were a strange, new species. Apparently I'm in the minority.