Did Albert Dürer paint a Tarot deck?

Huck

Great artists not only make great art, occasionally they paint or engrave just for fun or to prepare better editions. Dürer used two different styles, just trying in an unordered way some figures, probably without really having the intention to complete them or having a commission. Dürer did so much, that he must be a very quick worker. I guess, he didn't need long for that. It was just a study to him, not more.

It gives more information about the way how the painters prepared their work, than it is of worth in itself. It's a document and we don't have much early documents. Other very important documents for playing card history consist only of few handwritten lines in bad Latin with rather trivial content; but in some cases: without them our knowledge about early Tarot would look quite different

The exhibition, where I was, was in Cologne. They produced an edition of the Mantegna of an unknwn Cologne engraver, who worked mid of 16th century, I bought the catalogue and the deck, unluckily I lost the catalogue, so I can't remember the name, perhaps it was from Bussemacher. The titles of the cards had lots of writing errors.