Lost & Confused Newbie

Lil Red

Hi guys,

This is so embarrassing to say but I had the Thoth tarot for 8 weeks now without opening or taking off it plastic bag. The reason I had not open it was cause I had to study for finals and also cause I'm a total newbie on this deck since I usually work with tarot based on the Rider tradition. Now ever since I bought Tarot of the Vampyres I could not fully appreciate it cause it is based on Thoth (or slightly I think) so I put it put it away on my tarot chest. So, now that finals are over and it's summer vacation I thought to study my thoth tarot. I only own 2 books on thoth which are "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" by Lon Milo DuQuette and "The Book of Thoth" by Aleister Crowley. The problem is I do not know where to start off and feel completely at loss. It feels like this is a whole new world and have no direction to go at since I do not like to take the short card (if there is ever one). I was hoping if anyone can direct me in where to start I would deeply appreciate it. Also if you have any recommendations for me to read or learn than I would be forever in your graditude, thank you!

ravenest

Open the cards, start looking at them. Read Lom first then start working through the Book of Thoth. You have everything you need for an introduction to Thoth vacation.

Le Fanu

Yes, stop procrastinating :); open the deck, start with DuQuette and then later the Book of Thoth.

You have everything at your fingertips.

Spiffo

Hi Lil Red,

I figure you posted your question, like I've posted things, to enter into a discussion. I'm fairly new to Thoth and I'm also using the Liber-T Tarot of Star Eternal which is based on Thoth.

I think the two books you have are a great start, I have them both. I would really suggest, if you can, getting H Banzhaf & B Theler Keywords for the Crowley Tarot 2001 Weiser Books. It is like a LWB on steroids. The authors give a really good introductory breakdown of the symbols used on the Thoth cards. This book will have you reading with your Deck in seconds.

Don't get to caught up in stuff that can distract you, confuse you, bewilder you. There's plenty of time for that later. I've found just concentrating on building a relationship with the cards and learning to listen to what they tell me is the best place to start. My other tip is don't go for any fancy spreads. Stick to a simply 3 or 4 card spread.

It's true that many people who use Thoth do decide to explore all manner of other occult, mystical, spiritual areas. Some do not; they just like the cards. I think the team of Crowley and Harris distilled all manner of knowledge, arcane, inspired, created and deluded into these cards and they in and of themselves are a powerful tool.

I hope you enjoy your Journey with Thoth; I envy you those first steps, they are such a thrill.

XpS

Lokisen

I agree with Le Fanu--I'd hold off on the "Book of Thoth" and go with with DuQuette first. Other books that analyze the Thoth method include "Tarot: Mirror of the Soul" by Gerd Zeigler, "Tarot for the New Aeon" by P.C. Tarantino, and "The Tarot Companion" by Michael Snuffin. They're good places to start, good introductions to this style of tarot reading and analysis.

Yet the "Book of Thoth" is the best, wonderful, rich, and greatly complex.

And don't be embarrassed over being new to this type of tarot. You'll acclimate to it the more you use/handle the cards.

Zephyros

Yes, you can't be in better hands than with DuQuette, his book is an excellent primer on the Thoth. It doesn't tell you everything, but it does give you a push in the right direction. It will, at the very least, highlight what you don't so know, so you understand better what direction to take. His Chicken Qabalah was also invaluable to me.

Snuffin is also good. Zeigler less so, his book is more subjective and isn't really Thoth-y but rather his own interpretation of it. Same goes for Angeles Arrien.

Chiska

Also, try to stick with only one aspect at first - meaning don't try to "understand" Qabalah and numerology and astrology and the Aeon of Horus and ... and ... all at once. It is just overwhelming and you may find yourself becoming discouraged.

I tend to study at one thing at a time with the Thoth. And years ago, I got over trying to study ONLY one thing to understanding. First, I will never understand any of this completely. That was my first big breakthrough. And I am OK with this. Second, by taking a break from one aspect and looking at another aspect for awhile, it helps allow the information to percolate and finally (hopefully) coalesce into understanding. Maybe.

I will never (ever) be a great (or even barely adequate) scholar of the Thoth. Nor do I aspire to be such. I just want to be able to mediate effectively on the cards and concepts and thus guide myself towards improvement.

Always Wondering

My suggestion would be small readings. One card at a time. No more than three. I still find a three card reading has plenty of info. A one carder can take me days sometimes.

AW

JenWt43

Also, try to stick with only one aspect at first - meaning don't try to "understand" Qabalah and numerology and astrology and the Aeon of Horus and ... and ... all at once. It is just overwhelming and you may find yourself becoming discouraged.

I tend to study at one thing at a time with the Thoth. And years ago, I got over trying to study ONLY one thing to understanding. First, I will never understand any of this completely. That was my first big breakthrough. And I am OK with this. Second, by taking a break from one aspect and looking at another aspect for awhile, it helps allow the information to percolate and finally (hopefully) coalesce into understanding. Maybe. .

I agree very much with this! I was wary of getting started, because of stories I heard about it being so difficult. One day, I decided to dive in, and started with the Book of Thoth. I was pleasantly surprised, I certainly have much to learn, but I understood a lot more than I expected I would. And I enjoyed it! I decided I wouldn't stress about aspects of the Qabalah that I didn't understand, and do one read through anyway. It is a long-term project, but a fascinating one.

Zephyros

I agree very much with this! I was wary of getting started, because of stories I heard about it being so difficult. One day, I decided to dive in, and started with the Book of Thoth. I was pleasantly surprised, I certainly have much to learn, but I understood a lot more than I expected I would. And I enjoyed it! I decided I wouldn't stress about aspects of the Qabalah that I didn't understand, and do one read through anyway. It is a long-term project, but a fascinating one.

Don't stress, but also try not to be too breezy about it, either. It takes work, and real effort. You, of course, are not me, but I took a few months off everything Tarot related just to study Qabalah (which really isn't that difficult once you get in the spirit of things). My method is simple, I don't skip ahead unless I understand. It's taken me about a year and a half to get to Adjustment, but it's been worth it.

Be warned, though, Qabalah is the deck's backbone. I tried to put it off as much as I could, but there is no getting around it. Ultimately though, I fell in love with it.