Kabbalah Decoder
by Janet Berenson-Perkins
isbn 0-7641-5262-9
published 2000 Barron's

Lists at $21.95 US, but resides at
Barnes&Noble on sale for under ten.

dolphinprincess

Thanks for the suggestion, Fulgour.

There are always so many books out there on a particular subject - and I know there are those that are "questionable" and those that are "good"...

I want to learn about the subject but wanted to make sure it was an authoratative book as opposed to 'fluff'...

Thanks.

Fulgour

Just between you and me.....

I went to Barnes&Noble about a year ago, and
bought every promising Kabbalah book I found,
even a few that looked significantly associated.
Once home, I handled them with kid gloves and
in the end returned them all. You see, I already
had the one by Janet ~ it had seemed too simple.
It's a wonderful little book, and delightfully has
nothing specificaly at all to do with Tarot. :laugh:

Satori

Fulgour, first of all let me tell you that you are delightful.
Thanks for the book title, will find it if I need to scour the ends of the earth...or at the very least, Borders.

Rusty Neon

If you wish to study Kabbalah, it's important to have it straight as to which type you wish to study and choose the books/courses in function of that. In general terms, the two main types are Jewish Kabbalah and Hermetic Kabbalah. The second type took Jewish Kabbalah and adapted it to Western hermeticism by adding concepts from alchemy, ceremonial magic(k), etc. Later in the history of Western hermeticism, tarot was added to the mix. Hermetic Kabbalah is sometimes spelled Qabalah.

Courses and books such as Kabbalah Center's and books of Scholem's would teach Jewish Kabbalah and wouldn't treat of tarot. Nothing says that you couldn't later on, on your own, make associations to tarot using those teachings.

However, any kabbalah-content books, courses, and webpages that treat of tarot would generally be based on Hermetic Kabbalah.

That said and although I can't say for sure and I may be wrong about the following two books [as I haven't carefully reviewed them], I would think that Kliegman's book on tarot (Tarot and the Tree of Life)and Pollack's recent book on tarot (Forest of Souls)would be about the only tarot books whose Kabbalah is Jewish Kabbalah rather than Hermetic Kabbalah.

This is a very general bird's eye view. Anyone else is certainly invited to step in to add or correct anything I've written here.

Little Baron

I have 'The Complete Guide to The Kabbalah' by Will Parfitt. I have not finished reading it yet but it is seems very thorough. The chapters have exercises and works through at a steady pace.

Here's a link. It feels very much like a course. From what I have read, it is easy to follow but there is an awful lot to take in.

Here's the link -

http://www.holisticshop.co.uk/GeneratedProducts/PARF_W_KAB.asp

Yaboot

jmd

In my but rather brief encounters with various Kabbalistic registered groups, the two which come to mind and which seem quite worthy of further engagement are, in my personal order of preference, the Kabbalah Society and the Kabbalah Center.

I judge the latter only partly indirectly by a friend who has undertaken some work with the Kabbalah Center. In terms of your direct question as to whether it may be worth persuing, all impressions I have received are generally positive.

The Kabbalah Society also run various courses and hold meetings in various places around the world, and are likewise worthy of further investigation. Warren Kenton (ie, Halevi) works what he writes, and is a man, in my personal opinion, of high integrity.

smleite

Just wanted to say I’ve finished reading “Introduction to the Cabala” (formerly titled Tree of Life), by Z'ev ben Shimon Halevi, and loved it. He teaches regularly in Portugal, and I will try to attend his next lecture.