Mirror of the Soul

Sophie

Akron, Hajo, Banzhaf

Of the books not written by Crowley himself, as well as Lon Milo Duquette, I also like Akron, Hajo and Banhhaf's book, called The Crowley Tarot, The Handbook to the Cards. It's not New Agey at all, it's very solid on mythology, symbolism and alchemy, and makes a great complement to the great Aleister's own writings. It's not about Thelema, but it gives the kind of information you need to study the cards in a way that Crowley designed them. You can then supplement your Thelemic knowledge with other books.

Not all lovers of the Thoth tarot are Thelemic practitioners - I love the cards and the symbolism, I enjoy reading Crowley - but I am not a follower of Thelema, and don't feel the need to be to get the most out of the cards.

SilentBreeze

Ugghh I just bought the Mirrors of the Soul but it didn't come in yet. I guess I'll give it a try anyway. There so many Thoth books.

redflash

I've just ordered the book of thoth & also DuQuette's book on it. They should be here in a couple of days. LOL, I'm going to need every bit of help I can get, I only got the deck a few days ago !

SilentBreeze

I'm getting the deck soon, I just ordered it. I ordered Mirror of the soul with it and now i also ordered DuQuette's book too. I also started reading book of thoth at barnes and nobles and might get it also. Tons to read.

Tuwikaa

I have the Book of Thoth and Mirror of the Soul. I use both as a reference when reading and study.

Dean

I found the mirror of the soul book very useful when i first got it, then it was reissued again by Gerd Ziegler, called ( Tarot mirror of your relationships that came in a book and card set..

This book expanded the Thoth's interpretions on each card meanings for practical use on daily relationship issues.

AbstractConcept

I bit the bullet and grabbed The Golden Dawn Tarot by Mr Wang (i love that name!) to see what Tarot was like esoterically before Thoth.
Now I need the qabalistic tarot.

and my tarot study will be set for the next, oh, 60 years or so. :)

Nevada

I have it and used it a lot when I started with the Thoth, but it is biased toward the positive end of the spectrum. Not a book to use as one's only glimpse of the Thoth, though, that's for sure.

I like Keywords for the Crowley Tarot by Hajo Banzhaf and Brigitte Theler for a more balanced perspective. Haven't read DuQuette's yet.

I haven't thrown out Mirror of the Soul, though. Sometimes I need the feel-good, affirmation-packed viewpoint.

Nevada

Aeon418

AbstractConcept said:
I bit the bullet and grabbed The Golden Dawn Tarot by Mr Wang (i love that name!) to see what Tarot was like esoterically before Thoth.
Oh no! :laugh: I've got to echo the words of the late Gerald Suster in connection with that deck: "regretably vapid". So true. I feel depressed just looking at it. Despite the artsists great name this deck is completely wangless IMHO. :laugh:

Even though it is totally awful and garish, I prefer the Cicero's version of the Golden Dawn Tarot to the Wang version.
AbstractConcept said:
Now I need the qabalistic tarot.
Hmmmm..... it's ok I guess..... if you like cartoony artwork. Never been able to figure out why all the Kings are fat guys?
It's another of my decks that gathers dust. :laugh:

ravenest

Aeon418 said:
. Never been able to figure out why all the Kings are fat guys?

Because fat, balding, middle age guys are cool and sexy, ie. they rule!