Gypsy Cross?? Any Help??

barafubuki

Hi guys! :)

I was browsing this Chinese website that is FULL of spreads, and they had one that looks very interesting posted up called the "Gypsy Cross Method". I tried to find some information about this spread in English, but I couldn't find anything...I thought someone here might know.

http://www.tarot5.cn/taluopai/4/taluopai299.htm

This is the site if you speak Chinese...there is also a picture diagram there if you might have heard of it before.

Thanks!

canid

Here's a Gypsy Cross spread that's in the LWB of my Sibilla Della Zingara oracle deck.

1) The present-the pecularities of the current situation
2) The past-the most important elements of the recent past
3) The near future-how the situation will soon develop
4) The obstacles-what hinders the querant's ambitions
5) Advice-the last card is a recommendation, a suggestion, a warning or even strong instruction to do or not do something

Any help?

barafubuki

it does help a little, im just curious about the face down cards, i have a book that came with the der-zhen deck that also talks about the gypsy cross, but it has the cards like this:

And I --THINK-- that cards 1, 3, 7, 8 are not supposed to turned...and only 2, 4, 5, 6, 8 are flipped over...revealing a cross...

x....4....x
x....6....x

the diagram on this site as well shows outside cards that look like they are in the face-down position. any insights into this?

Madame Squee

I know I've encountered this spread in one my books, and I've even laid it out, but I'm having no luck finding it this morning. I'll keep looking tonight when I get back home. However, if I remember correctly, there's even a dire admonition about not turning over the four hidden cards! :D

x:diamond:x
TRQ

barafubuki

how interesting! do let me know when you find out!! :D

iard

Nice site, barafubuki. Thank you!

canid

The Red Queen said:
I know I've encountered this spread in one my books, and I've even laid it out, but I'm having no luck finding it this morning. I'll keep looking tonight when I get back home. However, if I remember correctly, there's even a dire admonition about not turning over the four hidden cards! :D

x:diamond:x
TRQ

As in never turning them over? It's one of those gypsy curse things? Do you know what the purpose is supposed to be? I usually place mine facedown, turn them over & interpret them one at a time, then read them as a whole/combinations. Works for some, not for others.

Asbestos Mango

Hmmm. Interesting.

I use a five-card cross-shaped spread in this formation, but I basically treat it as a stripped down Celtic Cross.
Sort of like

this

3 1 5

I interpret card 1 as the present situation, card 2 as past/subconscious, card 3 as recent past/influences that are just passing away, card 4 as present influences, card 5 as future.

I've never heard of the "Gypsy Cross" thing before, though.

Madame Squee

Okay, I found what I was thinking of, but it wasn't in any of my books (after I looked through virtually every book and gypsy-type deck I own :bugeyed:). I finally found it by googling "cross hidden tarot spread". :D

Anyway, it's a cross of sorts, and there are hidden cards, but it's not exactly gypsy -- it's more like Egyptian. It's called the "The Eastern Cross Method", and it was published in the LWB that was distributed with the Thomson-Leng Tarot Deck in 1935, and I located it on Mary Greer's blog. (Too bad I didn't find it in my Tarot cabinet, along with the Thomson-Leng deck I wish was in there, too. :joke:).

Here 'tis:

The Eastern Cross Method per Mary Greer

..........Sig..........

Directions:

1. Select a Significator for yourself from among the sixteen Court Cards. Put it on the table face up.
2. Shuffle the remaining cards and cut the deck into six stacks. They don’t need to be even.
3. Take the top and bottom card of each stack and shuffle these twelve cards thoroughly.
4. Lay them out, face downwards in the order shown in the diagram.
5. Turn up only the four corner cards, numbered 9, 10, 11, 12.
6. Read these cards in the order given.
7. The other eight cards must remain hidden, otherwise all the favorable indications will be reversed!

If you're interested, you'll find additional details and images here:
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/the-eastern-cross-spread-thomson-leng-deck/

I hope this helps in some way...

Peace out.

x
TRQ

ToddMen8302

Ok so I know I'm super late on this, but thought I'd post this since it doesn't seem like anyone gave an answer. The original poster may have already found what they were looking for, or lost interest. But here's the info on the Chinese site anyway. This appears to be a relationship spread.

(Note: this is my paraphrasing from the best I could do trying to decipher the info on the site.)

Layout Method:
1. Shuffle the cards and then cut them into three piles from left to right.
2. Gather the piles from right to left to make one pile again.
3. Lay one row of five cards from left to right.
4. Lay a second row of five cards from left to right below the first.
5. Lay a third row of five cards from left to right below the second.
6. Turn up the cards indicated in the diagram to form the cross.

Position Meanings:
1. Each other's thoughts/feelings.
2. State of the environment.
3. Advice on the situation.
4. You and your partner if things stay as they are. (No other people.)
5. Final prediction of the relationship.

It appears that the original thought of not turning over the cards other than the ones indicated was correct.