Just done a major Mind-Body-Soul fair . . .

Netzach

This weekend my friend and I had a stand at the Mind-Body-Soul fair in Brighton. They only hold it there once a year (they run other similar fairs elsewhere, including the one at Olympia that I visited earlier this year) and it's extremely well organised. Proper shell-stands, lectures and demonstrations on all day, excellent advertising and a very good selection of stands (well over 100).

We shared a small stand, with my friend doing numerology on one side of it and me doing tarot on the other. We were able to set up on Friday night which was useful because we realised we needed to add a few bits of "decoration" and promotional material and alter others slightly. John had made us two small tables which, with four chairs, fitted perfectly into the space allowed (1m x 3m). And I'd cannibalised a green damask "mediaeval" costume that John wore years ago in a play to make tablecloths. I also took with me a little folding camp-stool which was useful when a mother or daughter or wife wanted to sit in on the reading.

We both took business cards and leaflets explaining what we do and had them on a small table at the front of the stand so people who were passing could pick them up easily. We didn't tape-record readings but provided paper and pens for people to take notes. We had our names and contact details printed at the top of the paper, on the grounds that people might lose business cards but will probably keep the notes of their readings. And we had each ordered pens printed with our details - our names, what we do, email address and 'phone number. The pens work out at about 25p each so at the end of each reading we invited the client to keep the pen.

We also made sure that we had large notices up saying how much we charged and how long a reading took. Someone commented that on some stands this information wasn't provided and that she didn't like to ask because, if it was more than she wanted to pay and she said no, she would look like a cheapskate.

The fair ran from 10 to 6 each day. We started to read around 11.30 on both days (I think people like to look around and buy things before having readings). And on Saturday we both saw eight clients (half an hour each) and on Sunday seven. Interesting that our numbers were the same. Nobody had a reading from both of us. On Saturday the clients came one after another and, at one point, I had a queue! But on Sunday there was a little more space between them. On both days we stopped reading about 4.30 - I suppose people started to go home about then.

There were five other tarot readers there, so I was very pleased to have had so many clients. And I read for another professional reader (who didn't have a stand there) and for the daughter of a reader who did have a stand there.

Remembering the advice given on this forum, we drank loads of water during the day!

I had taken four decks with me (Fantastic Menagerie, Tarot of Dreams, Rohrig and Phantasmagoric Theater) and gave clients the choice of one or more. The most popular were the T of D and the Rohrig. Only one person chose the Phantasmagoric - but I think it is an acquired taste!

Overall, we were extremely pleased with the way it went. I had been a bit worried that my readings might be a bit formulaic but, on the Saturday, after giving an interpretation of one card that was completely unconnected with the "traditional/book" meaning - and having the client nodding agreement - I realised that my intuition was kicking in!

So, very exciting. We came home high as kites and over dinner my friend and I discussed setting up a business together (but nothing to do with tarot or numerology!). A very productive weekend overall.

Today I am EXHAUSTED!!

Sulis

Wow, well done to both of you :)

I'll bet you feel really pleased with yourself, I know I would.

I think the pens were an excellent idea and so was having your details printed on the paper used to take notes on - inspired.

Thanks for sharing..

If you don't mind me asking - how much did you charge for a half hour reading?

Netzach

Sulis said:
If you don't mind me asking - how much did you charge for a half hour reading?

Don't mind at all! I charged £25. I decided on that after visiting the MBS fair at Olympia. I looked at those stands that did give their prices and they ranged from £25 to £45. So I went for the lower end!

Sentient

Nice job, Netzach. Always helpful to get reports from the field.

The pens and paper sound like excellent ideas. Did people tend to take a lot of notes or only a bit?

Also curious about the range of clients. Do you find that a well-organized function tends to yield a slightly better quality of client?

Was there anything you wish you had done differently, now that it's over?

I hope your letterhead gives you good follow-on business.

Netzach

Sentient said:
Did people tend to take a lot of notes or only a bit?

Do you find that a well-organized function tends to yield a slightly better quality of client?

Was there anything you wish you had done differently, now that it's over?

On average, about one page of notes. Only one person took none, saying she'd remember it. Actually, hers turned out to be a very straightforward reading with a single "hit you over the head"-type message, so I dare say she will remember it!

Most of the clients had had tarot readings before. Of the rest, most of them understood what tarot was about and they all understood that it wasn't fortune telling.

Anything different? Yes, I'd have taken my manual machine for accepting credit cards. I tend not to use it nowadays because all the checks on the automatic machine that I have at home are now so sophisticated. And I don't have a portable automatic machine because they're expensive to rent. But I think the credit card companies allow one still to use paper vouchers with the manual machine when out and about. Normally, I suspect, it wouldn't be a problem but on this occasion the cash machine at the venue was out of order. Perhaps for the next fair I need to check with the card company and, if it's OK, then take it with me.

starrystarrynight

The printed pens is a wonderful idea...I used to use them in (other career) business all the time, and never even thought about them for a venue such as this!

And the letterhead paper provided for clients to jot notes on...great idea, too! That can be made up right on the computer--even half or quarter sheets cut with a paper cutter at home.

I'm glad you had such a terrific experience! Sounds great!

(I've never read out in public--I'm pretty shy LOL--but I'm gathering a lot of info for when - and if - I ever do take that plunge.) Thanks for sharing.

Netzach

starrystarrynight said:
(I've never read out in public--I'm pretty shy LOL--but I'm gathering a lot of info for when - and if - I ever do take that plunge.) Thanks for sharing.

This was my first real experience of face-to-face. My main anxiety beforehand was getting the timing right (ie not going wildly under or over the half hour). Fortunately the friend who I shared the stand with had a brainwave - she gathered up a few mutual friends and invited them to her house for a glass of wine and some nibbles, telling them that I would be giving readings at the special price of £5. So I was able to do six readings with people I knew, get my timing right and get my self-confidence going.

I used my Road Map spread (which I posted in the Spreads section) which I found fitted nicely into the allotted time.

LixiPixi

How exciting to hear your fair went well, Netzach! I agree with the client that having to ask prices can make for an uncomfortable situation. I'll actually pass up tables/items that don't make their prices clear.

You didn't mention how your Road Map spread worked out? I assume it went well since the whole experience was a success, but I'd love to hear how the spread itself worked out for you. Did you use it on everyone, or did you vary your spreads based on the questions asked, or ??

LP~

EDIT - bad timing on my part! You mentioned the Road Map spread while I was typing my response. I open the reply form, then my kids interrupt me, by the time I finish and submit the post, three more replies have been added or my question gets answered....LOL

satinangel

Netzach ~

Thank you for sharing your experiences! Glad to hear that everything worked out so well for you!

So...when are you doing your next one???

~SatinAngel~

Knight of Wands

Sound great Netzach.

You really seemed to think this through carefully!

:D :D