Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

New edition of The Tarot of Prague for 2016!

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

jema 

Easy really, either you pay Karen and Alex for their work and buy the new edition.
Or you pay even MORE to a second hand seller.
Or you don't buy it.
Top   #121
sporadic magic

Debra 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jema View Post
Easy really, either you pay Karen and Alex for their work and buy the new edition.
Or you pay even MORE to a second hand seller.
Or you don't buy it.
Or wait a while and you may pay less to a second hand seller.
We're seeing this trend on the trading forum here, with other decks that were similarly marketed and priced.
Top   #122
Citizen

jema 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
Or wait a while and you may pay less to a second hand seller.
We're seeing this trend on the trading forum here, with other decks that were similarly marketed and priced.
or be lucky in the trade train!!
Top   #123
Citizen

rylla 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemia View Post
The word "tantrum" though was a bit unkind.
Yes, as well as: we are talking "spinach"and "to hell" (that post have been removed luckily). I thought that this is a civilized forum where you can speak freely, not one where you are labeled, told what you should or shouldn't talk about, etc. Very disappointing. Well we all learn our lessons in life.
Top   #124
Not a Cylon

Owl Song 

I see both sides of the equation here.

I cannot at all fault MRP for wanting to create the best incarnation of Tarot of Prague possible. They're artists. They appreciate fine things and have always produced high quality works. I think it's also important to remember that they're not Llewellyn or US Games. They are a small, independent company. They package the decks and ship the orders; it's not done by a horde of workers or by machines. They're regular people doing what they love and making a profit from it. Nothing wrong with that.

For many years MRP produced decks that were mass market priced. Their standard editions of Baroque Bohemian Cats, Bohemian Gothic Tarot, Victorian Romantic Tarot, Tarot of Prague, Fairytale Tarot, and Fantastic Menagerie were small print runs but generally accessible -- at least at time of release.

I was a poor grad school student when I got my first MRP deck -- the Fairytale Tarot kit. It was within my price range -- very affordable -- but it was also something special. It felt special, like a collectible deck, but it was a "collectible" deck I could afford! As a consumer, there's a great deal of joy in purchasing something you feel is both completely awesome and reasonably priced.

Personally, I loved it when MRP decks were widely available. I didn't have to worry about replacing a favorite deck. I could happily recommend their products to friends just getting into Tarot. It was great. The decks and books were wonderful. Great value; great products = happy consumer.

Alice was out of my price range. I didn't say anything about my feelings -- but I was disappointed. Again, I can't fault MRP for their business decisions. Their products sell and they can choose to do business any way they like. But would I have still liked to have been able to purchase an Alice deck -- one that is within my personal parameters of what I will spend on a deck? Of course. I think that's a very natural reaction to crave products that pleased us in the past -- both from a price point and a quality standard.

I think MRP is really trying their best to defray some of the costs for the Tarot of Prague re-issue with the coupon for pre-orders and the layaway. I realize that for some -- likely myself included -- it will not be enough. Many people will not be able to, or will not choose to, order a deck.

In the end, I don't think you can fault MRP any more than you can fault people for feeling a bit let down. It's a big jump from $30 - $40 book / deck sets people were accustomed to having available -- to over $150 for the Alice set, for example. I think part of all this disappointment is that maybe we were used to being able to get high quality decks and kits at very reasonable prices. MRP created so many decks that were affordable and beautiful.

Yes, things change. Yes, MRP has every right to go in a different direction and to capitalize on an eager market. But people also have a right to say, "I really wish there were a more affordable option available." It doesn't make them bad people anymore than it makes MRP a bad outfit for handling their artistry and their business as they see fit.
Top   #125
Citizen

Le Fanu 

Like others who have labelled "the voice of reason and sanity" when someone agrees with them, I too could also say; Owl Song - you are the voice of sanity and reason.

And I do agree here, Owl Song. For so long, people were used to getting very high quality decks and sets for a very reasonable price.

I wonder how many of those who loved MRPs reasonable pricing (not you, Owl Song; I'm talking generally) then went on to sell at a juicy profit? Now that would be interesting to find out, if ever one could. I really ought to add here though, that I'm sort of indirectly defending a deck which was never even a favourite. God knows how that happened. I mean, I think it is an interesting decks - but others of theirs were my favourite, so I don't know how that happened, getting embroiled in this. I was always more of a Fantastic Menagerie / Victorian Romantic / Bohemian Gothic fan myself.
Top   #126
Citizen

feynrir 

And people have every right to critique price, just as much as they have right to critique artwork or any other part of a commercially available deck.
Top   #127
Citizen

Le Fanu 

Quote:
Originally Posted by feynrir View Post
And people have every right to critique price, just as much as they have right to critique artwork or any other part of a commercially available deck.
*looking round* They do indeed.
Top   #128
Citizen

FLizarraga 

As it happens, I also think that Owl Song's wonderful post is yet another voice of sanity and reason. Of course I agree with it in its organic entirety, not just the bits and pieces of it that suit a particular bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu View Post
I wonder how many of those who loved MRPs reasonable pricing (not you, Owl Song; I'm talking generally) then went on to sell at a juicy profit? Now that would be interesting to find out, if ever one could.
I have a feeling that speculation has added a fair bit to the prices we're seeing, but that's another story, and one hard to find out as well. Personally, I have been lucky in the MRP purchases I have made, both from Baba and from third parties. Even so, the BG Silver remains the single most expensive deck I have ever purchased, though that I don't regret one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feynrir View Post
Indeedy, my dear Fairy Wolf. Indeedy.
Top   #129
Citizen

bonebeach 

I dunno. I finally bought a 3rd edition Bohemian Gothic after all the hype, and I realize this is one of their "standard" decks and not metallic special edition whatever, but...it doesn't feel any higher quality, print wise, cardstock wise, or anything, than a mass market deck. If anything I feel the print quality is murky and kind of...bad? And I still paid $40 for that sucker, direct from them, without a box. And if that's the kind of quality that I can get at that price range, that isn't compelling. Nothing about this makes the allure of a special edition more potent. If anything, it's just the opposite. I can handle $40 of disappointment; I'm utterly unwilling to risk $150+ of disappointment. The quality of the standard product is not impressive enough to inspire an upgrade. Not for me.

(I love the Bohemian Gothic art. I think I'll enjoy using the deck. But the hype for the studio, and the quality everyone raves about--I don't see it. I just don't.)

And I'm a person who *does* shell out for luxury items when I can. I own far, far too many Black Phoenix Alchemy lab scents, a handful of designer dresses, artisan leather goods, fountain pens and ink, the occasional fancy lipstick... I understand that different price points often mean different quality. I like the look of the Tarot of Prague, but I can't imagine that I would ever find it "worth it."
Top   #130

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.