Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

New edition of The Tarot of Prague for 2016!

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

FLizarraga 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebeach View Post
(I love the Bohemian Gothic art. I think I'll enjoy using the deck. But the hype for the studio, and the quality everyone raves about--I don't see it. I just don't.)
To tell you the truth, it took me a while to get there. In the beginning, I had the same reaction to the BG. I was like "Nosferatu as the King of Cups?" You gotta be kidding me." And I found the Bohemian Baroque Cats downright silly in the beginning. Now I'm a diehard fan. Hence my disappointment at what some people here, myself included, consider a shift in their target market.

Quote:
I can handle $40 of disappointment; I'm utterly unwilling to risk $150+ of disappointment.
You got that right. That's exactly why I haven't bothered with the Alice. I have had a few costly disappointments before. No more. I'm not going to cough up that kind of money for a deck just to find out that, no matter how well done, I cannot connect with it.

Quote:
And I'm a person who *does* shell out for luxury items when I can. I own far, far too many Black Phoenix Alchemy lab scents, a handful of designer dresses, artisan leather goods, fountain pens and ink, the occasional fancy lipstick...
Same here.
Top   #131
Citizen

lightpers 
Cool

Seeing Owl Song's opinion made my Baba Deck Fatigue syndroms activate again!

Maybe it's indeed really good getting the standard edition + companion book (?)

Some cards will have some changes, i noticed the rendition is perfect, better than the previous editions. The collages has been improved a lot.

It feels like if i'm not seeing the magic of Prague, " maybe this time i'll be lucky!" lol,

It's just despite of many things not perfect as they should be (about each decks of Baba), i still amaze with the taste of their publications, always feels classy and charming. I may be missing something if not getting this edition.
Top   #132
Citizen

Scarlet Woodland 

At the moment it's not doing much for me but I thought that about the BBCats when I had the chance to get one and kicked myself later. Will keep an eye on it just in case I suddenly 'get it' as I did with the cats.

The price doesn't bother me as the quality of the Alice was well worth saving up for.... but... I was late to the Baba party so didn't have a chance to get used to low priced editions. Still bugs me that I didn't get the BBCats when they sold the last lot for 25 odd, but there was no way I could afford it as well as the VR and BG at the time. Rather wish I'd bought them instead of the VR now but hindsight is 20:20
Top   #133
Citizen

cSpaceDiva 

I wonder why it is that discussions about specific MRP decks so often stray away from the deck itself into general commentary about Baba Studio and their other decks and products? It seems it is impossible to separate art from artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Fanu
I wonder how many of those who loved MRPs reasonable pricing….then went on to sell at a juicy profit?
Funny thing is, I never even considered doing that until the Alice came along. Even the standard deck was a bit of a stretch for me in my current situation, but I am fond of the Alice books and thought the subject matter would be a good match with tarot so I went for it. However, it did cross my mind to buy a spare as a way to ‘finance’ my own purchase. In the end I didn’t, I’m not a speculator, I just love tarot cards.

Absolutely agree that MRP have the right to make whatever business decisions they choose, and to capitalize on the reputation they have established over the years. It’s just that, for me, tarot isn’t quite like other luxury items. It’s not like a watch, er, I mean, a timepiece, or a luxury car, or designer shoes. It’s so much more personal. I think if you read intuitively at all, you have to open yourself up to the cards, there is an element of trust. I feels a little weird to do that when you are aware of how calculated the decisions were that led to that deck being in your hands. Again, I can’t speak for everyone, that’s just how it is for me. But I think that’s why some of the reactions we are seeing are more emotional than rational.

And I hesitate to bring up the scarf again, but from my point of view it’s pretty clear that the answer to the question,
Quote:
Why a scarf?
is that if a scarf is included with the deck, many people, especially those with the means to purchase the limited edition, will go ahead and buy a bag anyway. On the other hand, if a bag is included with the deck, how many would make a point to also purchase a scarf?
Top   #134
Citizen

bonebeach 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLizarraga View Post
To tell you the truth, it took me a while to get there. In the beginning, I had the same reaction to the BG. I was like "Nosferatu as the King of Cups?" You gotta be kidding me." And I found the Bohemian Baroque Cats downright silly in the beginning. Now I'm a diehard fan. Hence my disappointment at what some people here, myself included, consider a shift in their target market.
Haaaah! Nosferatu as King of Cups is one of the cards I'm most into, oddly enough--makes sense to me somehow. There are definitely some other cards I don't really *get* though (including most of the other courts), but I'm willing to do the work and connect. I have to say that you were my main enabler on this one. Your relationship with the deck seemed like the reaction I might have, and I think eventually I'm going to really love this one.

I have a cat, though I'm not a cat person, but if the Baroque Cats could be had for $40 or less... I would spring for it. That one seems bizarrely charming to me right off the bat.

I do like the baba studio artwork in general, I really do. I just agree with you that there's a shift in their target market, and I'm way too late to this party to be tempted by the high barrier to entry. C'est la vie. God knows I have plenty of other material pursuits to throw myself at when opportunity allows.

In general I think it's impossible to parse out "emotion" from this discussion. Any luxury anything that sells has an emotional component to the sales pitch.

It's very unfortunate that they've had to deal with counterfeiters. I just don't think this is the way to handle it. One of my favorite knife brands (Spyderco) got so tired of knock off that they made their own diffusion line of knives in their own designs but in cheaper materials. A Byrd knife costs less than half of what a Sypderco does, but they're still great knives.
Top   #135
Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 

I wouldn't buy a bag because they sent a scarf instead. Apparently I'm the only one who regards the scarf as an encumbrance. I know they say it's a "gift" but really... I think it's in there somewhere. If I could skip the scarf and pay a little more for a bag, I might think about it.

As it is, I tried to look at them but I think I may just skip it. It would def. be the cheaper one. I think the expensive one was just bigger and had the ******.

Diana
Top   #136
Citizen

Daemon Lover 

Maybe I'm in the minority here, (I haven't read every post) but I kinda think the scarf is a good idea...

Show me a tarot bag that would be big enough to house the large format deck? And....you can wear it! Not the bag, the scarf lol.
Top   #137
Citizen

FLizarraga 

Please stop talking about that SCAAAAAAAAAARF!!!!!!
Top   #138
Cat on a cold stone roof

gregory 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpaceDiva View Post
I wonder why it is that discussions about specific MRP decks so often stray away from the deck itself into general commentary about Baba Studio and their other decks and products? It seems it is impossible to separate art from artist.
This isn't about the art - I imagine it is excellent. It's about the quality of production leading to a very high price for an already loved and admired deck that is being reissued, which many would have loved to buy and won't be able to, is all.
Quote:
And I hesitate to bring up the scarf again, but from my point of view it’s pretty clear that the answer to the question,
is that if a scarf is included with the deck, many people, especially those with the means to purchase the limited edition, will go ahead and buy a bag anyway. On the other hand, if a bag is included with the deck, how many would make a point to also purchase a scarf?
Even so... (not that I care that much either way) but I would NOT buy a bag; I have a zillion dollar store ones that would work fine (yes, Daemon Lover, there are dollar store ones that hold Alice, certainly, and while I have never LOOKED for larger ones as I don't need any, I have no doubt at all that my friendly local $ store will have something that will work just fine) The scarf would end up as a gift for someone else, to be honest. I don't DO that kind of scarf - not for fashion and not for tarot.

Sorry Fliz.

Not
Top   #139
Citizen

rylla 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpaceDiva View Post
Absolutely agree that MRP have the right to make whatever business decisions they choose, and to capitalize on the reputation they have established over the years. It’s just that, for me, tarot isn’t quite like other luxury items. It’s not like a watch, er, I mean, a timepiece, or a luxury car, or designer shoes. It’s so much more personal. I think if you read intuitively at all, you have to open yourself up to the cards, there is an element of trust. I feels a little weird to do that when you are aware of how calculated the decisions were that led to that deck being in your hands.

Great points.
Top   #140

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.