The 4 of Swords and the Sun

Morgan Le Fei

I seem to get these this 2 card combination frequently in readings for myself on different questions.

I love the Sun card, it's my favorite in the deck simply for the beautiful Rider-Waite-Smith imagery. I see it on its own as indicating a favorable outcome.

Combining The Sun with the Four of Swords seems to indicate, at least in some readings, that taking a passive approach by letting things unfold without pushing or taking action, may lead to a favorable outcome. Meditate on the desired outcome, visualize, hope, dream, but let things be for now..

Any thoughts on this combo?

TarotTreat

I generally agree. I tend to see the four of swords as a card meaning you need to examine your emotional state, take care of yourself, meditate, etc. I see the sun the same way as you, favorable outcome, hope, etc.
For the combination of the two, I would see it as a message that you need to take care of yourself, and that once you do so good things will come out of it.

rwcarter

The order of cards matters to me in how I interpret them. As repeating cards across various types of readings (I'm assuming) that pair could be summed up as "It's all good (Sun), so chill out (4S)." In the other order, the pair could be saying "Stop (4S) and smell the roses (Sun)" or "Stop (4S) and enjoy life (Sun)."

Rodney

Achlys

The order of cards matters to me in how I interpret them. As repeating cards across various types of readings (I'm assuming) that pair could be summed up as "It's all good (Sun), so chill out (4S)." In the other order, the pair could be saying "Stop (4S) and smell the roses (Sun)" or "Stop (4S) and enjoy life (Sun)."

Rodney

Agreed, the order is a little important here, but I feel like the general meaning basically echoes the above.

Grizabella

Sun-bathing is what popped into my mind. lol

Morgan Le Fei

TarotTreat: I hadn't thought of it like that for this reading, but for the question I was asking taking care of myself has been a priority for achieving the desired goal. So, great reading skills there, thank you!

rwcarter and Achlys: In the last reading I got this combo the 4 of Swords was the Crown and the Sun was the outcome in a RWS CC.

I tend to get really excited when I see the Sun as the outcome. I always try to read it for myself and for others I read for as a sign that the desired goal will manifest. I like that you see it may mean to enjoy life, RW. Maybe it's saying that no matter what happens with this goal, my happiness depends on my own peace of mind. I understand that already, but it's a good reminder!

Grizabella: LOL! I love literal takes on the cards. I apply that logic to dreams sometimes too. I love to sunbathe but my skin doesn't!

sush

sun and four of swords

Sun= fire element, creative energy
Four of swords= Air element
Both are friendly elements.

Sun is a positive card. But alot of sun energy can exhaust a person easily. So its necessary to take a break to recharge that life force.
At the same time, it can mean that intellect/ideas of swords can help enhance creative expression of a person, but that sword is two edged, so one has to meditate on the ideas before making use of it in our lives.

IndigoWaves

Sun is a positive card. But alot of sun energy can exhaust a person easily. So its necessary to take a break to recharge that life force.
I tend to agree with sush's take, if the Sun comes before the 4S... You may be at risk of "burning out" (Sun) in some sphere of your life, by releasing/giving away too much of yourself, and could make good use of some "retreat" (4S), such as more quiet alone time and/or meditation.

If the question involves a relationship, the Sun could say that your energy is currently too "bright"/intense, perhaps overwhelming the other person... You may seem overly enthusiastic, youthful, revealing, or in need of more attention than he/she can give (though it's likely sought in a positive, friendly manner). Here, the 4S would advise pulling back into yourself -- allowing more space/Air for both of you to breathe, greater detachment and calm considerations.

The order of the cards drawn usually matters, though... So a 4S laid out before the Sun would suggest that a period of withdrawal has reached the end of its usefulness, and it's time to re-emerge/shine your light -- allowing yourself to be open and free, while engaging and welcoming others' attention.

Morgan Le Fei

Thanks Sush and Indigo.

Interesting ideas to think about. I'm a bit confused about what to do or not do next with this issue and so I think I'll remain in the 4 of Swords' sanctuary for awhile!

The rest of the reading seemed to indicate that a busy period is coming soon for me so maybe just focusing on my work is what I need to do and somehow I'll shine professionally through that.

I really appreciate your wisdom and creativity!