Choosing a TdM or older style tonight....need help.

Maleia

Hello,
I am new here. I live in the United States and have recently been learning the tarot cards via two decks The Rider-Waite and The Hanson-Roberts. I have read the book Tarot Plain and Simple and would like to advance to more antique/historic cards. I am ordering the Yoan Ben-Don Open Reading and would like a companion deck to use. I like the more muted colors and historic dipictions. I think that is why I enjoy the Hanson-Roberts cards because they look more muted and old. I would like the TdM deck to have a mat finish instead of a glossy finish if that is possible. I am going out of town soon and plan to study this method while away so,I need to order tonight from Amazon to get them in time. Thanks so much, M

Richard

.....I am ordering the Yoan Ben-Don Open Reading and would like a companion deck to use. I like the more muted colors and historic dipictions..........
The official companion deck for that book is the CBD Tarot de Marseille. Yoav Ben Dov designed the deck specifically to go with the book.

Most any Conver type Marseille would be satisfactory. My favorites include the Grimaud (recommended by uruz), as well as the ISIS and the CBD, which use a larger color scheme than the Grimaud.

Maleia

Thanks sooo much! I purchased the Grimaud as suggested by Uruz and LRichard. I look forward to learning and gaining friends from this wonderful community. M

uruz

Thanks sooo much! I purchased the Grimaud as suggested by Uruz and LRichard. I look forward to learning and gaining friends from this wonderful community. M

That's my main deck. I find that it has a very rich symbolism despite its simplicity, making it just as rich as but far less busy than Rider-Waite-Smith (which I guess is more a comment on TdM in general rather than the Grimaud specifically).

Have fun with it, friend! Let us know how you like that book, too.