cbd or dodal

jean bosco

Hi,

I'm wanting to get one of the above mentioned TDM decks and I'm not sure which one I'd go for. So I did a little web-search and found an interesting interview with JC Flornoy (http://www.tarot-history.com/Enrique-Enriquez/pages/itw-EE-15-02-2010-eng.html).
There he says, "as long as the engraver has not lived the inner process of transformation to mastery, he doesn't know what he's talking about, and can only copy. With Noblet and Dodal, we are in the same world, but not with Conver and even less with those who follow him. We know their mental world by heart, and let me say we are very glad to be rid of them."

That is an interesting statement from someone who has obviously mastered the art himself. But what does he want to tell us? Any ideas?

I like the CBD, it looks just perfect. But could it be too perfect?

The dodal on the other hand has some weirdness in it - especially with some of the faces. At first I wasn't sure if I could go with those faces. But after thinking about it I'm not sure if that wouldn't be something that would add to it a special note/flavour. We are already living in a world where everything has to be perfect and pretty. But life really itself isn't always like that......
Any comments?

Wendywu

That is a tough choice!

I have both decks and love both. I find the CBD easier to handle because I have small hands and the Dodal are larger than normal cards. However, I love the people in the Dodal and the cardstock, and and and :)

The CBD has the beauty of a really good book written by the deck creator and based on the cards, which themselves are so clear and readable!

There are so many reasons for buying each deck, and not one reason for not buying either of them! I think in the end you're going to have to go with your heart and choose based on which deck calls to you most.....

jean bosco

Cool, thanks for your reply. I have Yoavs book and it's really great! I think I'll be ending up buying both decks. They are both great, you probably nailed it. And good to know that the cardstock is good. I'm alright with large cards, can handle that. :)

BSwett

I love the CBD and use it more than any other deck in my collection. That being said, if my house was burning down, I'd grab my kids, some old photo albums, and my Flornoy Dodal.

:)

Richard

Lee Bursten likes the Dodal because it has a 'krazy kat vibe', but it's a little too 'krazy' for me. The Flornoy reproduction is admirable from a scholarly PoV, but I'll take the CBD for a reading deck any day.

Le Fanu

Dodal - whether Flornoy or Dusserre - I love that seminal Marseilles crookedness. And the size of the Flornoy version is so lovely too. I love the CBD, but the Dodal has an angular edge to it that I keep going back to. So many details that I love.

This for me is the definitive Marseilles. It reads effortlessly for me. All that weird peering and indistinguishable forms in the drapery.

jean bosco

All that weird peering and indistinguishable forms in the drapery.

Exactly, that's what I was thinking too when I saw it for the first time. That gives it a certain touch that I really like I think. I ordered it today :)

Moonshiner

I just got the Dodal myself, so far so good. I love it :)