How About the Star

Kgirl

Like Temperance, the Star has been somewhat opaque for me. I usually think of her as Hope because one of the first decks I used back in the 80s was Liz Greene's Mythic Tarot. In that deck she is Pandora on her knees watching all the ill-boding critters fly out into the world after she opened the "forbidden" box. The only thing left in the box for Mankind was Hope. With the Tower on one side and the Moon on the other, Hope is the one possibility left.

So, how do the rest of you interpret the Star?

I do feel it is fitting that it follows the Tower. A spiritual awakening has occurred, a cleansing and the promise of tomorrow is exemplified in the presence of the Star card in a reading. It is at night that we face our demons, where it is just you and you alone or you with your God where you have to face the truth, realise the reality and its the Star that gets you through it and carries you into the morning for a new beginning. It keeps you afloat.

It is hope but I also see it as peace, calm, healing and patience. I've also seen it to mean that someone who is far away is thinking of you.

Sometimes it comes up to represent a person and in those instances I take it to mean the person is special, someone who brings a magical touch to a difficult situation, someone very beautiful, someone who shines, someone who seems to be doing everything right.

Ruby Jewel

I love the site albideuter.de, and copyright approval is granted, so we can share it here at Aeclectic! :)

Here are the star cards all compared that he has on the site. Enjoy!
http://www.albideuter.de/html/stern.html

NOTE:
Since it is German based, it can be opened using Google translate to see English (or your preferred language).this particular page does not matter so much since it is primarily card images...

Thank you. I will enjoy having this to refer to in the future.

Ruby Jewel

When I see The Star, I don't simply think of holding on hope.. I think of the feeling that accompanies hope. That existential, euphoric sigh. Like lying in a hammock star-gazing and listening to a brook in the distance. That feeling is what can give us hope because it touches the soul and asks it to push a little farther to get more of that feeling.

Seeing it in a reading I think, What is creating or blocking this feeling for this person? Does this feeling lead the person down a path that is beneficial for them?

Perhaps the same path that leads out of the Moon Card next to her.

Ruby Jewel

The star is the glimmer of a future. Which is why it's "hope." Because so long as you can see the glimmer of a future, you have hope. In fact, with Aquarius as its sign, it's always looking to the future. It may offer a taste of something in the now, a healing draught, but it isn't about what's happening in the present, or even tomorrow. This is the future and it requires commitment.

When ships were lost at sea, they searched for the north star to guide them. As long as they could find that star, there was hope that they might find their way, get to wherever they were going. The star doesn't of course, promise you'll get there. But it does promise that you have a chance of getting there if you're willing to let the star guide you, put in the time, and not give up that hope.

This really resonates with me. I see this card as companion to the Moon card. I can see it giving Hope to someone who is lost in an addiction or a major depression.....something to hold onto when you are drowning. Hope for the future..YES!! But not just Hope, it is also the Guiding Star out of the Moon Card.

This is just what I couldn't quite put my finger on and I have searched so many places for a clue that could anchor this card for me. Thank you so very much, Thirteen.

Ruby Jewel

Yeah, makes me hold mine a little closer.

There's not a day that goes by that I fail to stop and think how fortunate I am to have my four beautiful cats.

Ruby Jewel

I like the 'Herr der Ringe / Lord of the Ring' version. Reminds me that a star can be a 'falling star' or a comet ... and some say comets bought water to earth. Besides that, I like the way the image of her is depicted poring into ( or pouring out ? ) an ocean.

"Leave the illusion and seek the Star sublime.".......to lead us through the Dark Night of the Soul.

Like the North Star for the sailors that Thirteen mentions, this is the Guiding Star through the Night Sea Journey in the Moon Card. There is still, however, something that I don't quite understand. Why is she pouring water on the land and also in the sea/lake/pond?

Thirteen

Plan Ahead

There is still, however, something that I don't quite understand. Why is she pouring water on the land and also in the sea/lake/pond?
Part of that is the healing element. Pour water on the patched land to heal it. But most of it has to do with the future. Aquarius, the water bearer, thinks of future generations. An Aquarian is the sort to create a park so that the future generations of children will have a place to play.

In this case, the Star lady pours out water on the land so that in the future it will be green and growing (and that tree in the background will stay alive and flourish, to offer shade, and for the bird when it returns to it, year after year, to set up it's nest). She pours water into the pond to make sure it stays full, and so can refresh the next thirsty traveler who comes by.

It's not something I've ever considered, but thinking about it, I'd say that the Star is the card of recycling and environmentalism. The 7th generation principle: in every decision, be it personal, governmental or corporate, we must consider how it will affect our descendents seven generations into the future.

And on a more modest scale, the star might simply say, "Plan ahead. Be prepared." Don't forget to water the lawn and keep bottled water on hand ;)

Tiggy-cat

It is hope but I also see it as peace, calm, healing and patience. I've also seen it to mean that someone who is far away is thinking of you.

Sometimes it comes up to represent a person and in those instances I take it to mean the person is special, someone who brings a magical touch to a difficult situation, someone very beautiful, someone who shines, someone who seems to be doing everything right.

Kgirl, I think of those aspects also, though I've never thought of the person far away one. I love that!

I used to hate the card, believe it or not, because it always made me feel that it was telling about false hopes and misplaced optimism, reaching for something so far away that it could never actually be held, only wished for, but I've gotten it more recently in a case where I saw the aspects of healing, calm and patience, maybe forgiveness also, and because of her nudity, simply Truth and transparency. WYSIWYG, nothing to hide. Trust.

Although, in that context, I could see the negative or extreme aspect of it as being SO transparent as someone who is unable to keep a secret, someone who ALWAYS feels that "the truth, the WHOLE truth, and nothing but the truth" should be presented right up front, no matter what.

Ruby Jewel

Part of that is the healing element. Pour water on the patched land to heal it. But most of it has to do with the future. Aquarius, the water bearer, thinks of future generations. An Aquarian is the sort to create a park so that the future generations of children will have a place to play.

In this case, the Star lady pours out water on the land so that in the future it will be green and growing (and that tree in the background will stay alive and flourish, to offer shade, and for the bird when it returns to it, year after year, to set up it's nest). She pours water into the pond to make sure it stays full, and so can refresh the next thirsty traveler who comes by.

It's not something I've ever considered, but thinking about it, I'd say that the Star is the card of recycling and environmentalism. The 7th generation principle: in every decision, be it personal, governmental or corporate, we must consider how it will affect our descendents seven generations into the future.

And on a more modest scale, the star might simply say, "Plan ahead. Be prepared." Don't forget to water the lawn and keep bottled water on hand ;)

The recycling concept I find quite interesting....considering that we are now on the inside cusp of the Age of Aquarius and the planet is in mortal danger of running out of water not only to drink, but also with which to grow our food. I hate to think what lies in store for our 7th generation into the future. Will there be healing? Will there be a hero to lead us through the Dark Night? Will the North Star guide the lost generations home? The Star says there is Hope. What a beautiful card.

Under Neptune and Jupiter, and the Age of Pisces, we took water for granted. In this Age of Aquarius and the next one, the Age of Capricorn.....the surviving generations will be living under Saturnian discipline. Mankind will suffer the consequences and the discipline for the next 4,000 years under Saturn, the Great Disciplinarian. After 4,000 years under Saturn, Jupiter will reign again in the the Age of Sagittarius.....the Wounded Healer/Heirophant will arrive. So, yes, considered from an astrological perspective, I have great Hope for the planet....even though it appears hopeless......because I think the future generations are going to find the self-discipline they will need to survive, and the hero to lead mankind back home. I see this as the Star's message to our planet.

ravenest

"Leave the illusion and seek the Star sublime.".......to lead us through the Dark Night of the Soul.

Like the North Star for the sailors that Thirteen mentions, this is the Guiding Star through the Night Sea Journey in the Moon Card. There is still, however, something that I don't quite understand. Why is she pouring water on the land and also in the sea/lake/pond?

Well, we are assuming it is water, but is it? It may be oil, or 'the water of life' (he that drinks of the water I shall give him shall never thirst again) or 'amrita' .

Did you see my link to Stella Maris ... Our Lady Star of the Sea ? She is the personification of the star energy you and Thirteen mention. Sailors would pray to her in storms. And she would calm the waters.

Now look at this and consider the woman in the star card;

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popul...ugust_1893/Why_a_Film_of_Oil_Can_Calm_the_Sea

On another level :

When she traverses the dark night of the soul, finds her star and guiding light, her purpose, what is she to do then? Sit in a cave and meditate?

No. She gives out her purpose, her will and work in the world, she pours 'her essence' forth.

In the Thoth Star card she pours one out and one over herself. To me this very much suggests the 'fountain technique' , a cycling and circulation of energies 'through and over the self ... a 'shower of star energy' - it is an important process in self-healing and revitalisation.

Perhaps it also suggests the 'natal baptism' of cosmic forces ( our 'astrological graces' inherited at birth) which help us find and define what our life purpose is and what our special 'offering' will be.

It all makes for an interesting combination; water is a symbol for the emotions, feelings and the unconscious (as the Moon also is) . When it is disturbed the surface is rough. Normally the surface is how we traverse this 'crossing'. Internally, when this part of us is upset or disturbed we can feel it inside. Like a rough or choppy feeling , or a surging and heaving to and fro ( or 'butterflies' in the 'stomach') . A healing here, has a calming and stabilizing effect, our 'Hara' ( centre just below the naval) becomes stabilized and can even feel like a sloshy body of water becoming calm and still. This can also be achieved by the 'fountain techniques' or similar yogic tantric practice to stabilize and vitalise the whole 'auric field' .

Here is a little visualisation of it @ 6:45 - 8:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC7oG_2W4