What Are Imperali Cards?

Rosanne

I have been given a small book called Travels in France & Italy-During the years 1787-1789 by Arthur Young who was a traveling Farmer (and card player) who considered himself an unchallenged authority on agriculture :D

accordingly he as an oracle "at whose feet sat the rulers of the Nations of the old world and the new-Kings and Princes, great Lords and commoners, statesman and philosophers, economists and philanthropists- drinking his words as the last pronouncements on the science of agriculture."

He had a high opinion of himself.

Anyway he arrives in Milan on a Sunday, and is met an agent of the Marchese Di Visconti who has arranged for him to met Abbate Oriani, Astronomer Royal who on the the Marchese advice will make himself of use. The Astronomer after the Opera at La Scala (who he condescends to be amazed at how a town like Milan could have so many of the world attend) takes him to the Patriotic Society (agriculture) chaired by Visconti. The astronomer and Visconti take him to his country estate in Pavia.

He then talks in general....
Similar are the are the employments of societies everywhere! In England, busied about Rhubarb, silk and drill-ploughs; at Paris- with fleas and butterflies; and Milan, with buttons, scissors and strawhats.....
He then rabbits on about the countryside and Visconti's pinery the finest of the six in whole Duchy Milan. He speaks about playing Imperali cards with Castiglione.Visconti,Abbate Amoretti (same or anther astronomer??) whose "conversation is that of a man who adds the powers of instruction of the cards and graces that enliven company." He also notes later that hostess, reminds him much of the Empressa, for she loves her children, her country, and her husband. He says he is impressed with this family although they do not talk of agriculture and the cleanliness of the estate which surprises him.
He returns to Milan and is going to Cremona and Lodi to purchase his other pursuit (I have no idea what his other pursuit is) but they cost him double the miserable horse and Chaise that was 7 and 1/2 livres for a day's hire to get there.

Was Tarot ever known as Imperali ?

~Rosanne

Rosanne

I did not know that the Mameluk cards that made up the 56 cards of the Visconti were known as Empire cards.

When the Islamic empire playing cards were introduced to Italy, the batons (which were in fact the empire's polo sticks) were changed into smooth rods with decorated ends. In Spain and Portugal, they became rough cudgels

Impero is Italian for Empire.
Imperiale is Italian for Imperial
it is used in this sense...funzionario imperiale = imperial officer

So without jumping to conclusions Arthur Young may have played cards with 56 cards or the minors of the Visconti, as if he was playing with the Mamluk cards that are military cards or Imperial cards; or maybe he called Tarot Imperalli because of the design of the 56. Yet again there may have been some Empire cards or game that I have not been able to find.

~Rosanne

Bernice

Great find!
Love the quote about generalities (my bold),

"Similar are the are the employments of societies everywhere! In England, busied about Rhubarb, silk and drill-ploughs; at Paris- with fleas and butterflies; and Milan, with buttons, scissors and strawhats....."

Rosanne: I did not know that the Mameluk cards that made up the 56 cards of the Visconti were known as Empire cards.
Perhaps they were, by the late 18th century. Would it be a 'napolean' thing? I think he claimed most things to include in his Empire......

Bee :)

P.S. Can't help wondering why England was abuzz about Rhubarb. I know it's roots were used for dying - it also dyed hair yellow...... chuckle.

Rosanne

Hi Bea!
I never thought about Napoleonic cards, but the self important man did say how French the Milanese were. Like all things- it could just be coincidence, but I have not yet read about what he played in France- It seemed also to me, strange, that The Visconti were still in Pavia and took him to see the Sforza Palace in Milan, that was now a hospital- given by Duke Francis. So the Visconti-Sforza connection appears still strong 300 years after the cards were made. Did the family still play with them? Was Cremona and Lodi still the place to buy cards? Is that what was his 'other pursuit' was?. I would love to know.

As to Rhubard- maybe he took some dye given the Visconti women's liking for blond hair and Italian strangeness to me. I did not know about English silk either.
I noted the Straw hats. :D Parisians concerned with fleas? and Butterflies? Was there plague problems in France in the 18th Century? Or was it about Flea circus that was a rage for a time.Something agricultural?

What actually interests me more than anything was the use of an Astrologer to tell him about the cards. Playing or reading the cards? If they used the Visconti cards -does this indicate the astrological bent in them?

Anyway more questions than answers...and the man who writes would be considered a sponge today- taking his letters of introduction around and big noting the names on every page. I shall read on regardless of pomposity- I have read other pompous writers to glean information.

~Rosanne

Debra

Sorry, Rosanne my friend, but I doubt it.

In the article you cite, the phrase "Islamic Empire" is used throughout to refer to, go figure, the Islamic Empire.

I believe they mean, When the Islamic Empire's playing cards...etc. Here's the whole sentence:

"When the Islamic empire playing cards were introduced to Italy, the batons (which were in fact the empire's polo sticks) were changed into smooth rods with decorated ends."

It's awkward writing--not evidence that the Islamic cards were called "empire cards."

Scroll to 2.4 and below. http://wapedia.mobi/en/History_of_graphic_design

Bernice

Hi Debra,

It was me not Rosanne who wondered if the 'empire' might have Napolen connection. I would rather it be Islamic - I'm interested in any info re. the Mamluks :)

Bee x

eta: Ooops. Just re-read your post. I read it upside down (back-to-front?). Will go and drink coffee......

Rosanne

I agree Debra- that the say Islamic Empire- but on another site they call them Empire cards without the Islamic title. I thought they were called naibe anyway.
What might they be called in the 18th Century-in Italy by an English man- I have no idea. Imperali cards is a strange wrong spelling of Imperaile anyway.
Maybe he was an English man Italia-ising Imperial. Like that site- Arthur Young has awkward writing also. Hence the thread- I do not know if there were cards called that- or there was a game called that- or that he may have even got them from the Imperial Hotel he stayed at somewhere, and what with the astronomer- something about agriculture that did not get talked about.

I think these old travel books might be a source of information. I have really never considered them before- except in the modern sense with pictures.

~Rosanne

Rosanne

I asked this question on another forum and received an answer that might be the right answer.

"... After dinner we play at scartino, or 'raising dead men' and 'l'imperiale', and other card games, till it is bed-time.

It is a trick taking game played with 32 cards, with the trick cards decided before the play. They use Courts, aces and 7's.
I guess they may well have used the Visconti Tarot minors, but sounds like it may be a particular deck. Sounds like the game Four Kings and the Courts on dais in the Visconti may well indicate this use in another game or the multi use of the cards.

~Rosanne

gregory

Naipe is just the Spanish for playing card; I'm guessing naibe is the Italian version, though it isn't in my HUGE dictionary.

Rosanne

Visconti 16 Honours + 4 Aces + 4 Sevens + 4 Sixes = 28 and maybe + the four diased Popesse/Empress/Emperor and Pope =32.

Interesting thought about those strange plinths in the Visconti.

~Rosanne