"The Gift" movie, what is that deck?

Paul

I saw the Zener cards as simply a psychic focus for her; it helped her go into trance and from there she moved into relevant psychic material. Having been trained in clinical hypnosis as a professional psychotherapist, we are interested in focusing the subject to allow conscious distractions to fall into the background, and unconscious material to come into the foreground. This might be done via a candle flame or other entrancing object. I believe this is somewhat like psychometry-- focus on the item and allow a stream of unconscious visions.

So, the Zener card images were secondary, if not irrelevant at times, and were only tangential glimpes of the more cogent psychic image.

purple_scorp

Hello all,

I know that I've posted on these cards on ATF (and possibly in this thread) but I did a search and couldn't find much. I'm guessing these were some posts that got deleted and were unrecoverable when ATF was hit by the hacker.

Anyhow, I went and purchased these cards after seeing that movie (The Gift) and I often pull them out at dinner parties. These cards were originally created to test psychic ability and there is 25 in the set. Law of averages says that you will guess five correct out of the 25. Guessing less than five (say 1 or 2) is considered equally as psychic as guessing more (say 7 or 8).

Here is a website that another member posted, where you can see these cards online and test your own psychic ability:

http://moebius.psy.ed.ac.uk/~paul/zener.html

cheers

purple_scorp

Ivy

Possible place to purchase the cards used in The Gift

After seeing the movie, I too wanted a deck of these cards. My daughter and I lived in Durham, NC at the time and stopped by the Rhine Research Center unannounced. The folks there were very nice, gave us a tour and we were able to purchase a "card package" which included the deck, plus instructions and a pad to record your results for only $10.00.

I'm not sure if they still sell them, but you can check out their website here: http://www.rhine.org/rboard/wwwboard.shtml

I would suggest emailing Sally (sally@rhine.org) to inquire about purchasing the cards. She's very nice, :)

Hope this helps!
Ivy

Grigori

Intuition Kit

I have a similar deck, by Patricia Einstein as part of her "Intuition Kit". It has 12 cards, 1/2 red, 1/2 blue. There are one in each color of circles, squares, wavy lines, and then the same with 2 images on each card (i.e. two circles or two squares).

The kit is listed at Amazon, but it looks like they aren't too sure you they could actually get their hands on a new one. There are a few second hand ones though.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=186204385X/ref=nosim/aeclectic/

rachelcat

Also in Ghostbusters!

Remember the beginning of Ghostbusters when Bill Murray's character was using his test of psychic ability and electric shocks to meet pretty college students? When the girl guessed wrong, he said it was right, and when the boy guessed wrong, he got electric shocks. Then after several eclectric shocks the boy guessed right, and got shocked anyway!! So much for the scientific method! I remember these cards were used because the one the boy guessed right was "a couple of wavy lines." And I remember seeing a star. I assumed this kind of thing is what they are used for, testing psychic ability.

Little Hare

Anyone know where you can buy a set of the Zenner cards? I don't have a printer that will let me put through cards and print out the symbols

Cheers
Little Hare

Tansey Ella

I watched the movie last night so I came here to see if anyone knew what cards she was using. My hubby said they did not look like anything I have but maybe Egyptian symbols. I will check out the deck as I love this movie. I have dreams like she does and they can be very frightening. I never ask for information, I just get it in the form of dreams at times. It is really sort of a burden.
I thought the movie was pretty accurate showing her psychic abilities and how they happen ( at least from my own experiences ). It was not tarot cards as I had originally thought.
Only the last link still works on this thread. All others are versions of 404 error.

Bhavana

I saw the Zener cards as simply a psychic focus for her; it helped her go into trance and from there she moved into relevant psychic material. Having been trained in clinical hypnosis as a professional psychotherapist, we are interested in focusing the subject to allow conscious distractions to fall into the background, and unconscious material to come into the foreground. This might be done via a candle flame or other entrancing object. I believe this is somewhat like psychometry-- focus on the item and allow a stream of unconscious visions.

So, the Zener card images were secondary, if not irrelevant at times, and were only tangential glimpes of the more cogent psychic image.

this is how I saw her in the film as well.