The Connected and Free Oracle

pickled pixie

The webpage on Big Cartel stated $50. Since they are in Australia I am assuming this is AU $50.

That is about US $36 and about GBP 23.50?

Which seems reasonable?
Just double checked and it's definitely £36.00 plus the £13 postage ( which is a bit steep as I have bought 2 other decks from Australia and the postage was £4.00) plus the import tax makes this deck way out of my price range unfortunately....aww well plenty more decks/fish in the sea ;)

pagan.hare

I've just stumbled across this deck and have to say it's really lovely in a Wild Unknown kinda way! So I pop over to etsy to potentially purchase it. It's £36.O0!!! ...and then another £13.00 postage :O Yikes!!! Is it me or is that very expensive for a 50 card Oracle deck!!??...even if it is independently produced ... *sigh* Guess I'll have to let this one pass me by as I seriously can't justify that sort of money! Didn't even spend that on the WU or Bohemian Gothic Tarot! :(
I was just reading a review and they are indeed beautiful cards. But at £36 I don't expect the edges of the card to start to separate with use! My original Tarot of the Old Path (_I lost my original deck in a move) were used almost everyday as I did online readings and that never happened 😕

http://jesscarlson.com/connected-and-free-the-alchemists-oracle-deck-review/
Some are calling this the Alchemist oracle deck. For awhile I thought they were two different decks or a renaming of the same deck. I think both names are actually on this deck. It is cute. Something about this deck just stopped me short from getting it though.... I think there is a thread about this deck somewhere.

DaughterOfDanu

I've been tempted to get this deck but when it's all said and done it comes to about $50USD which is just too much for an oracle IMO when I paid that much for the WU itself. Sadly unless I come into a good chunk of money it's going to have to stay pretty low on my wishlist.

pagan.hare

I've been tempted to get this deck but when it's all said and done it comes to about $50USD which is just too much for an oracle IMO when I paid that much for the WU itself. Sadly unless I come into a good chunk of money it's going to have to stay pretty low on my wishlist.
Agreed..very expensive indeed

pagan.hare

Agreed..very expensive indeed

avalonian

I'm really confused here, when I looked on Etsy it is indeed £36.00 (well, actually nearly £37.00), but it says it ships from Florida? £13.00 shipping from the U.S.A. to the UK is quite usual (and, unfortunately usually comes with a hefty customs charge).

:)

pagan.hare

I'm really confused here, when I looked on Etsy it is indeed £36.00 (well, actually nearly £37.00), but it says it ships from Florida? £13.00 shipping from the U.S.A. to the UK is quite usual (and, unfortunately usually comes with a hefty customs charge).

I personally think this hefty postage charge has something to do with etsy. I have had plenty from the US either through Amazon, eBay or privately and never been charged such a ridiculous amount. But stuff on etsy coming the the States always has a similar charge.

The Happy Squirrel

Perhaps best email her and clarify once and for all?

DaughterOfDanu

If it was, my shipping should have been calculated at a much lower rate since I live in the same one. I've seen on youtube reviewers say theirs came from Australia, where the deck's creators are from, I believe.

I personally think this hefty postage charge has something to do with etsy. I have had plenty from the US either through Amazon, eBay or privately and never been charged such a ridiculous amount. But stuff on etsy coming the the States always has a similar charge.
I sell on Etsy so perhaps I can offer some insight :) When you sell on Etsy you choose your own shipping rates. They aren't automatically calculated for you. In my opinion, some sellers appear to use the function to hike up shipping a few more dollars than it should be.

I second emailing the creator and seeing what she has to say.

Winterchild

Although more expensive than some decks this one is beautifully packaged from what I can see so far and if the cardstock is like The Wild Unknown which it looks like to me it will be fabulous... I can see me falling for the Lumina at this rate although I do still have reservations.

I purchased The Wayward Tarot on Etsy for my daughter for Christmas, and it cost me 70 NZD or around 50 USD including postage, roughly the same as the Alchemists... my point is that the Wayward is ordinary office store very thin card stock, and it looks like it may have been hand cut and printed. The Wayward is beautifully drawn, fresh and unique, the fact that is is not as professionally produced does not lessen it's value in any way at all for me.

Art is rarely rewarded in wealth, and as an artist myself, I know the work that goes into producing something and how small are the monetary returns, if any. Art is about soul... and it cannot be costed in earthly terms.

I appreciate not being able to afford a deck you covet, but if you have to save for it, or give up something else for a while, it makes it all the more special. I love that these decks cannot just be chucked in the Amazon shopping cart, even if I can't afford all the ones I want.

If you are on the fence about The Alchemist... well I will let you know when I get it for Christmas just how beautiful it is... so far I have only seen the packaging!!