The Page of Cups and his Fish

FourLeafClover

This is the only card in the Rider-Waite deck that in my books qualifies as Adorable.
I have both the orignial RWS and the Radiant RWS, and while the Radiant is more beautiful, I really prefer the original page of cups.

It's all because of the fish. Take a good look at the original RWS Page of Cups. Look at how he and the fish seem to be exchanging a knowing glance, and finding something delightful or amusing about what they're sharing.

This page, I think, is getting "inside information" on the subject of emotions and feelings. I think he's all about making a really strong connection between thoughts and feelings. After all, who better to ask about water than a fish?

That's how I see the page and his fish... as a signal that your emotions are totally trustworthy at this time because they are sharing an unusually good connection with your thoughts.

Any other interpretations for that cute little fishie?

poivre

I have read where the fish means a surprise.
The Page is not expecting a fish to pop out of the cup.

I like your explaination better!

Imagemaker

I love your explanation. One I will remember!

TemperanceAngel

I have always thought the fish is symbolic of the imagination. Being a Page he is learning to express his imagination, emotion and intuition (Cups).

Think of Christ being symbolised by the fish, esp. when Christianity was not very popular, this is how Christians recognised each other :)

Another thought of the fish is that it lives in water and cups are associated with the element Water.

XTAX

WalesWoman

I've heard Salmon represent wisdom, that the fish leaping out of the cup is the emergence or offering of it. That is is learning, so that one of the meanings of Page of Cups is a need to study for exams or to become more knowledgeable and prepared.

Mystic Zyl

New Palladini has a good page of cups too

Fulgour

The Pages would have come from other "families"
to serve in the Court, and I think The Page of Cups
is from the Sword family ~ look at how she stands,
as if in a fencing pose... and as for the Fish, since
she is unused to Cups, with her airy imagination she
has found a pleasant diversion. Besides, don't fish
need air to breathe, even if held in a smallish Cup?

psychic sue

I think of this fish as his unconcious. He's looking at it with surpirse, like he's only just discovered it.

The fish in this deck reminds of the fish in the cat in the hat books, and he represented the children's conscience didn't he?

mistyiiching

page of cups

the page of cups stands looking at the fish in his cup and the water behind him to me he has scooped up a little surprise from the water and didnt realise to what his actions could bring , believe in the universal love cos it is in you and you are the creator of your life but the christian belief of jesus feeding the hoards turning water into wine and feeding the hoards on very little tells a story of the fish and abundance for the page of cups and to believe in himself/herself and know that the mysterys of life are within and can be created and manifested into reality .The communication with the knowing glanceof the page and the fish is all on a telepathic level and to belive that we have a gift and to open up to it.

Vincent

mistyiiching said:
the page of cups stands looking at the fish in his cup and the water behind him to me he has scooped up a little surprise from the water and didnt realise to what his actions could bring , believe in the universal love cos it is in you and you are the creator of your life but the christian belief of jesus feeding the hoards turning water into wine and feeding the hoards on very little tells a story of the fish and abundance for the page of cups and to believe in himself/herself and know that the mysterys of life are within and can be created and manifested into reality .The communication with the knowing glanceof the page and the fish is all on a telepathic level and to belive that we have a gift and to open up to it.

Thats about the best explanation I have heard here.

The Page of Cups is the Earthy part of Water; emotions have been made substantial, feelings have crystallised and taken on solid form.

it is the essence of dreams condensing on a cool glass, conjuring something tangible and visible, as if from thin air.

Vincent