5 swords: really defeat?

rebecca-smiles

I'm having a lot of confusion with this card. As i read intuitively i tend to ignore trad. meangins of the cards. But this is so against the grain.

In all the readings i have done where this card has appeared my instinct is that he is putting the swords Down. The feeling i get is of such relief, and if i try to read it the traditional way; its like the cards don't want to go back in the deck!

The only sense i can make out of this through analysis is that perhaps the other folks in the picture are himself at earlier stages, weighed upon, straightening up and now looking back on his worries. He is coming into the fore ground, into focus. In readings he often comes after the higher swords, so it seems he puts down the 10,the 9, the 8...Some times he is looking into a better card.

Am i alone in seeing this as a positive card? even the people i read for think its sad.

cheekyminx

5 swords....loss, seperation, conflict, arguements, pettyness.

Though it looks like he has won the battle, but has lost a fair bit in this process. Looks kinda smug in the picture doesn't he? But what is everyone else thinking about him?

Hope this helps

Fulgour

Say c-h-e-e-s-e

I've always been able to see past the 'smirk' people say
they see on his face...maybe because I always look bad
in pictures...like I'm sad or angry and anything but me :)

Here's a view of our Hero with a softened expression:

Attachments

• 5 of Swords - with a softened expression.JPG
    5 of Swords - with a softened expression.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 444

firecatpickles

I agree.

Hmmm, Lord of the Fear of Defeat. Looks like maybe he is making sure he can't lose. A little shifty, perhaps?

Sulis

rebecca-smiles said:
Am i alone in seeing this as a positive card? even the people i read for think its sad.

Five is the unexpected thing that comes along and jolts you out of the stagnation that the four has become... A change is often seen as bad because it's unexpected but it's not necessarily always bad... It could be the row that finally makes you think - what am I doing in this relationship?

Fives are related to The Pope or The Hierophant and are learning experiences or blessings in disguise.... they seem bad at the time but with hindsight you know that they've really helped you to grow and learn.

rebecca-smiles

Sulis said:
Five is the unexpected thing that comes along and jolts you out of the stagnation that the four has become... A change is often seen as bad because it's unexpected but it's not necessarily always bad... It could be the row that finally makes you think - what am I doing in this relationship?

Fives are related to The Pope or The Hierophant and are learning experiences or blessings in disguise.... they seem bad at the time but with hindsight you know that they've really helped you to grow and learn.

That makes sense! if the person is putting down the swords he has either come to a decision or realisation to do so. it's not easy letting go, or admiting you were wrong, for example.

cheers,Sulis

ana luisa

I also see this card as a grim one. However, it has shown many times in my readings as a card of restarting from what´s left. In a way, it shows that the man can take what´s left (spoils of war), after everyone else has given up and make better use of the swords. I always feel like he´s picking up the swords, taking them home, cleaning them up and figuring out what to do with them in the future.Sad, but not hopeless.

poivre

Thinking about the 5 Swords this weekend...
pick and choose your battles wisely. Knowing when to
hold them and when to fold them.

Like what Sulis said about the lessons and blessings.

Learning the lessons of our battles...it's not if you win or lose,
it's how you play the game! :)

HarleyQuinnX

I had an interesting thought about this card the other day. Good thing I found this thread. Perhaps the figure in the card was smiling, and looking back realized that even though he won, someone had to lose.

I think maybe his face is in transition. He realized the pettyness in his victory and is putting the swords down to chase something more important than the momentary thrill of victory.

sascha

HarleyQuinnX said:
He realized the pettyness in his victory and is putting the swords down to chase something more important than the momentary thrill of victory.

Reading this thread made me think of this card in terms of those times when "winning" an argument, can result in losing something of much more importance..... This realization appears to be dawning on the victor as he holds the swords.

As Sulis said....
Five is the unexpected thing that comes along and jolts you out of the stagnation that the four has become...

Perhaps it can represent a realization that the way one is used to communicating or working out differences really doesn't serve the highest good in the end...