el Tarot de Marcelino cardstock?

blue_fusion

I wasn't actually planning on posting this here since the designs are finished already, but I need your opinions on some things.

As a backgrounder, earlier this year, I got into a real rut of a depressing situation, but eventually, due to the help of some very good people, things have gotten better. One of the few rewards of being in such a situation's that I was able to create artworks, perhaps fueled by my emotional state then. Anyway, I began a number of projects (and have finished some of them), several of which may be seen here: http://www.geocities.com/blue_fusion20/previews.htm

Now to the present. I've finished the designs of a Marseilles-styled deck, with a cutesy theme. It's called el Tarot de Marcelino, a pun on both "Marseilles" and "Marcelino, Pan y Vino." I'm bent on self-publishing this, since it might not be that mass-market (what with the black-and-white colour scheme and Marseilles-type pips). Plus I did inquire with several publishers but almost all of them didn't even ask for samples, and said that they're not accepting submissions at the moment.

Here's how I want the cards to look like: http://www.geocities.com/blue_fusion20/marcelino_index.htm (What I did was that I scanned the black and white drawings and superimposed them on scanned Kraft paper). I really want that uneven, grainy look found in Kraft paper products. I'm thinking maybe I can look for the really thick Kraft card/board used for brown folders and use these as cardstock. My only reservation is that, thick as it is, how would the paper stand up to shuffling (also given that it's Kraft paper)? Can you guys suggest an alternative, at least with the same grainy look?

Alta

Not at all an expert, but I doubt, really really doubt, that Kraft paper would stand up to much. It would develop breaks, it isn't not that flexible.

You didn't ask for comments but wanted to say how much I admired the partial works shown in your first link.

teomat

I can't suggest an alternative (but maybe laminate the Kraft paper?), but I just had to say I LOVE these images! And please don't assume that they wouldn't have mass-market appeal!

cSpaceDiva

I can't give any feedback about the paper, but I really like the images. I also got a laugh out of the write up. Interesting how the experts were able to determine the creator had a slight limp on the right leg, etc. :laugh: :laugh:

Greg Stanton

Can I make a suggestion about the design (which I really, really like, btw)?

Computer-set type looks really out of place on most Tarot cards, especially those with a humanistic, hand-drawn look such as these -- even if the type used has been well-considered, as yours has. I think they cards would look even better if you ditched the type and drew the lettering yourself. I know it's more work, but the product will be much better.

After all, it's about the art -- so why not make the titles more integral with it?

Also, the back design looks too much like the front of the cards. I'd simplify it.

I love this deck tho.

Debra

It's true....I love the look of this deck, but the "Not So Master" of the 15th century probably didn't have smooth computer-generated typefaces. ;)

blue_fusion

Thanks for the compliments, though I hope there would also be inputs too on the what to use for cardstock. Yes, I do plan on laminating it. I wonder if laminated Kraft board (like the ones in manila folders) would result in an ok card?

Regarding the font, I originally wanted something like Blackletter but with a cutesified twist. I wasn't able to find one with that look, so I just used something temporary. I've always wanted to know how to actually make fonts (like, how to convert drawn typefaces into something I can actually use, say, in MS Word), so maybe this is the best time for me to try it.

Changing the backs into something like checkers or just some repeated pattern would actually simplify things for me (in terms of registration) so I'll probably end up just using something like that.

Oh, and the deck also has a Happy Squirrel. ;)

Debra

Hi Ly. I like the idea of checks on the back--it's got a check-feel to it :)

I showed OnePotato your post--he knows about paper and I think might have some ideas.

blue_fusion

Debra said:
Hi Ly. I like the idea of checks on the back--it's got a check-feel to it :)

I showed OnePotato your post--he knows about paper and I think might have some ideas.

Yes, I should probably pm him about it. Just hope he's not too busy at teh moment. Thanks. :)

prudence

I should not have looked at this thread, as broke as I am....Blue Fusion, you have way too many cool looking decks in the works! Looking at your link I saw at least 4 already that I want, even the elongated playing cards, and I never buy playing cards.

This Marseilles deck is great!! I am definintely going to get one. I love the faux woodcut look, the color, the cuteness of the characters, and that it is styled like a Marseille.

I have no info for you regarding card stock, I am sure OnePotato will have a lot of helpful input. I wonder what kind of cardstock the Vandenborre Bacchus is on....it is pretty thick, thicker than Il Meneghello and holds up well to use.