Playing Card Oracles ~ Alchemy Edition

Madame Squee

Bless you, MoonGypsy!!! :*

I can't wait to hear what you think of the deck!

:love:

Madame Squee

small version arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm slowly comparing the new download of meanings w/ the book form the other edition; i honestly love it when deck creators come back w/ a new take on earlier meanings; some are darker some are lighter, but the point is that it reminds me how flexible the whole system is. It's really pretty shrewd though; provides such different answers than tarot, in a way, more precise, especially if you use some of her layouts in the older bound book version. I'm v. new at this oracle though. And still reading the book. I would love to say this sort of system will some day be automatic for me; but it is certainly not a cookie cutter oracle (if there is such a thing); i'm struck at the depth, and yet i did a couple of super fast single cards draws and they were shockingly helpful.
Ana covers a reading technique that I would describe as more automatic than most playing-card systems. It's in the section on Card Direction (pp. 136-137). She also demonstrates it in a youtube video. This is the technique that I like to use, but I don't think it is a playing-card system, strictly speaking. I would call it a form of scrying.

For anyone who can only afford to get one size at this time (like myself), i'll say i'm quite happy w/ the small. I feel like i can see the art well, and like how it handles; will be easier to have the small for larger spreads.
The printing is excellent, and I'm sure it looks fantastic in both sizes. I plan to order the poker-size as soon as I can.

Would totally recommend investing in the full book, even if it's the old one. Personally, i dont know if i would have connected w/ this deck as much if it wasn't that i saw the depth of the whole system that the book conveys. Hope this helps anyone on the fence.
I think you're right. The value of the book can't be overstated. Even though I would still love the cards without it, reading the book definitely draws me closer to them. Plus, her system will work with any deck of playing cards. Finally, I just really enjoy her style of writing. She makes it interesting while imparting a considerable amount of information. In that respect, I would compare her to Karen Mahony (Baba Studio).

Is there a new book? I know there's a pdf supplement for the Alchemy Edition deck, but I couldn't find a new companion book with updated Alchemy images, etc. There is a new ebook, but it looks like the original version: http://store.anacortez.com/products...ook-for-divination-ebook-format-by-ana-cortez

lark

For anyone who can only afford to get one size at this time (like myself), i'll say i'm quite happy w/ the small. I feel like i can see the art well, and like how it handles; will be easier to have the small for larger spreads. Would totally recommend investing in the full book, even if it's the old one. Personally, i dont know if i would have connected w/ this deck as much if it wasn't that i saw the depth of the whole system that the book conveys. Hope this helps anyone on the fence.
Thanks, I was wondering which size to buy...funds are tight right now.
I'm kind of on the fence about this one, I really love my old deck and I'm so familiar with the cards that it might throw me off to have different illustrations.

Nica

MS, the new book is not yet published, but will be soon.

Madame Squee

That's wonderful! Thank you, Nica.

MoonGypsy

i am very happy and excited to report that i have invited the very lovely Ana Cortez to join us
in this thread. i just heard back from her, and she said that she will be very happy to
"jump over to say hi ":D She seemed very pleased that we have been discussing the new deck. :)

Please keep this enthusiastic thread going and let Ana know how much we love and appreciate her, and her late Dad's work...

Mine should be here today or tomorrow...i can hardly wait!

anacortez

How wonderful to see this forum post on the new deck. So much work, so many dreams - so much time. It is really surreal seeing them in other people's hands in the photos that are just starting to appear on facebook, instagram, etc.. and to read people's comments - REAL readers, not only reviewers, or friends, etc.. It's all a dream come true. This was my dad's first work, into which he put the most energy, the most hope for.
So anyway, I am a little emotional, as you can probably tell, having just come down off of the "big push" to get it out and into the public. Thank goodness for the technology we have today so individual creators are self empowered. The publishers wanted nothing to do with this - too much of a risk. No broad category that this one falls into. And so it is.
Anyway, I am LOVING reading the comments here. Thanks everyone for just being a part of the conversation. All so interesting. Just to clarify a couple of things I read here:
the new book will not be specific to the new deck, although it is on card reading and it does have my dad's imagery, but selections from all the decks he created plus some images that have never been published. For working with this new "Alchemy Edition," refer to the pdf booklet that comes with the purchase plus the good ol' PCO book.
Another thing to clarify, MOST of the imagery in this new deck you will find very similar to original PCO deck, but the ones that do depart I see as expansions of original concepts. All still have their foundation in suit and number meanings.
THANKS AGAIN, everyone. It is a joy to get to know you through this forum. I look forward to future conversations!

MoonGypsy

How wonderful to see this forum post on the new deck. So much work, so many dreams - so much time. It is really surreal seeing them in other people's hands in the photos that are just starting to appear on facebook, instagram, etc.. and to read people's comments - REAL readers, not only reviewers, or friends, etc.. It's all a dream come true. This was my dad's first work, into which he put the most energy, the most hope for.
So anyway, I am a little emotional, as you can probably tell, having just come down off of the "big push" to get it out and into the public. Thank goodness for the technology we have today so individual creators are self empowered. The publishers wanted nothing to do with this - too much of a risk. No broad category that this one falls into. And so it is.
Anyway, I am LOVING reading the comments here. Thanks everyone for just being a part of the conversation. All so interesting. Just to clarify a couple of things I read here:
the new book will not be specific to the new deck, although it is on card reading and it does have my dad's imagery, but selections from all the decks he created plus some images that have never been published. For working with this new "Alchemy Edition," refer to the pdf booklet that comes with the purchase plus the good ol' PCO book.
Another thing to clarify, MOST of the imagery in this new deck you will find very similar to original PCO deck, but the ones that do depart I see as expansions of original concepts. All still have their foundation in suit and number meanings.
THANKS AGAIN, everyone. It is a joy to get to know you through this forum. I look forward to future conversations!

((((MoonGypsy Waves to Ana))) Ana, dear, i am so honored and pleased that you have joined us. Thank You sooo much! :*
i for one, can't begin to express what your [and your late Dad's]work means to me...

The images and book are pure magic--they resonate with me
on a very deep level.

It is a little slow on the forum right now, but i am hoping that peeps will pop on
to join more in this thread. i know that there are quite a few of us that love
and use the Playing Cards Oracle System, and i am hoping more and more folks will delve into it in the future. The book is a "Must Have", so anyone who doesn't have a hard copy yet--
Everything can be found here: [sign up for the Newsletter too, and monthly podcasts]Lots of other
goodies:

www.anacortez.com

i can hardly wait for my new Alchemy edition of the Playing Cards Oracle Deck to arrive
--maybe tomorrow! :heart:

Again Ana, Congratulations on Bringing your beloved Dad's images to light!

garmonbozia

Welcome to the forum Ana!

I got my decks (1 large and 1 small) two nights ago and am so happy to finally have these!

I was so bummed when the Kickstarter campaign did not succeed. I remember when you were encouraging people on your website to make their own decks by printing out the card images and glueing them on regular playing cards. I printed them out but never got around to actually making my own deck (shortly after that I bought my first house, a real fixer-upper, and I have been renovating it for the past two years...I haven't even unpacked the box yet that has my printouts and card/art supplies in it). Now I can enjoy this deck without having to make my own. Finally my procrastination pays off!

I love the stickers you included. I like to keep my decks in boxes whenever possible so I was able to put these decks in blank/empty card boxes and use the stickers as cover art.

My favorite artwork is still the 2 of clubs and the 8 of hearts.

Looking forward to your new book! Is there a release date yet?

Madame Squee

How wonderful to see this forum post on the new deck. So much work, so many dreams - so much time. It is really surreal seeing them in other people's hands in the photos that are just starting to appear on facebook, instagram, etc.. and to read people's comments - REAL readers, not only reviewers, or friends, etc.. It's all a dream come true. This was my dad's first work, into which he put the most energy, the most hope for.<snip>
Welcome, Ana! It's such an honor to have you here! I feel like we've already met through your amazing book and videos. The Playing Card Oracles first found me in September of 2006 in a metaphysical bookstore in Colorado Springs. The pictures on the box intrigued me -- so different from anything I'd ever seen before, and the boxes were autographed! I had always been interested in reading playing cards, so I bought two packs and went home to find out more about them. Your father's stunning artwork led me to finding and ordering the book, and after reading it, buying several sets for gifts and back-up, and eventually discovering the original Two Sisters Press publication in Boulder Bookstore. Playing-card-wise, my life felt complete until... The ALCHEMY EDITION!!! Now, I'm feeling good all over again. :love:

<snip>Just to clarify a couple of things I read here:
the new book will not be specific to the new deck, although it is on card reading and it does have my dad's imagery, but selections from all the decks he created plus some images that have never been published. For working with this new "Alchemy Edition," refer to the pdf booklet that comes with the purchase plus the good ol' PCO book.<snip>
This is exciting news! I can hardly wait to see more artwork and read a new book! One of the chapters I love most in your original book is "On Intuition". It includes your recipe for "Terrene's Roasted Roots", and I need to tell you it has become one of my family's favorite meals! :heart:

<snip>Another thing to clarify, MOST of the imagery in this new deck you will find very similar to original PCO deck, but the ones that do depart I see as expansions of original concepts. All still have their foundation in suit and number meanings.<snip>
The PCO deck has given me so much joy over the years, and I take it with me ALMOST everywhere. I'm never left sitting alone, waiting, when I have them along. Come to think of it, the only thing I ALWAYS carry with me is my iPhone...

Have you ever thought about releasing the original PCO on an iPhone app? The Fool's Dog makes the most fantastic iPhone/iPad apps ever!!! I have many of them already and would buy the PCO as fast as my fingers can fly! :D

http://www.foolsdog.com/tarot.html

Ana, it is SO EXCITING to have you here!!! Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing your father's fantastic work in the Alchemy Edition. It already feels like an old friend.

Attachments

• PCO autographed box.jpg
    PCO autographed box.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 119
  • PCO set 1 Two Sisters Press.jpg
    PCO set 1 Two Sisters Press.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 120
  • PCO set 2 Two Sisters Press.jpg
    PCO set 2 Two Sisters Press.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 117