Old Meiji Poetry Tarot...based on Ogura Hyakunin Isshu

Cerulean

100 Poets farewell as a 'tarot'

The finished scrapbook I made became an oracle book that took on it's own life and I can see that for myself, this will not become a tarot any time soon. I adore it, but looking at something as good to me as the Ukiyoe Tarot, I realized that it's focus on the Edo period was quite right--a narrower focus on a certain time and space actually helps.

The 100 Poets series has the seasonal poetry and evocative imagery, but I'll revisit the motifs in a different way.

Whoever does translate their experience of such cultural enjoyments into a tarot, I'll be a fan most likely...having realized every small forey into this uncovers so much for me.

What would work instead..after exploring my Shinto matsuri (festivals), my biwa music studies, the poetic highways and happily touching the shimmering surface of thousands of years of history of the gods...perhaps a post-Meiji-era and a truer-to-Hana Fuda seasonal homage to matsuri and the addition of shell oracle personifications the seven lucky gods--for they themselves are looked at today as personifications of traits some would enjoy...they have travelled through time and the Asian continent to Japanese folklore.

I'll start a new thread and gathered links, refering to this old thread as my 'first experiment'

I really enjoyed adding to this thread...speaking of gods and monsters and ghosts and things that go bump in the night...

Best regards,

Cerulean

Cerulean

P.S. what prompted the change..

..A book on Hanafuda! An actual book giving rules and exact details about the art and the games in a clear way...no more guessing...

Hanafuda: The Flower Card Game
Copyright 1970
By Japan Publications, Inc.

LCCC No. 75-114629
ISBN 1: 0-87040430-X
ISBN 13: 978-0-87040-430-6

And so after reading, it seems to me to follow the seasonal year in such a clear way and the 48 cards clearly play an homage to it's Portugese roots...I'm figuring this out on it's own merits and enjoying doing so.

Cheers,

Cerulean