Cardstock quality

Elven

Hi peace_pixie :) Good to hear from you!

Yes, decks are staring to edge up in price here - they cant blame the petrol anymore LOL!! And its not the sellers, but the recommended retail prices as well.
It wouldn't be so noticeable and even acceptable (yes, prices go up), but when the quality is failing, and its hard to look at what your purchasing in sealed boxes, that hard to get past. I'll be looking for deck reviews for some others I am interested in before purchasing them at the moment ... and Im going to let the lady in book shop know too ;)

Hope you're well :)
Blessings x

suedeheadsmiths

Card Stock

I'm sure you're right Elven. I did order the US Games ones. I live in America, so I'm sure I won't get the Tawianese deck. I'm sure they will be ok since my other US Games decks are. I just don't understand why the original RWS is so flimsy. I guess I'm mad too because I know in a few years I will have to replace it, and it's my original deck, so it makes me quite sad. But I guess no deck will last forever:(

Thanks Chris

Elven

I purchased another deck today ... and this time, an Oracle deck, but the same card stock :(
I have laminated it now - and its fine, but I dont want this to become a habit.
Once more, I couldn't check the deck quality as the box was sealed ... but it was not as expensive either - half the price ... then again ... half the amount of cards too ;) :p Oh my goodness ... Im going to write to them ... great deck ... not so great cardstock.

Hi Chris - Ive usually found the RWS to be great cardstock wise - its a shame to get a flimsy stock :( - the deck I use Ive had for years ... well worn now, but not too bad considering they're about 20 years old and are used regually. I hope yours last the distance!

Blessings Elven x

franniee

I got a new deck yesterday and am SOOOOOO disappointed in the quality as well. I found your thread and it hit right home! I'm in the states so the decks are around $20 - not a huge deal but this deck was $45 and that annoyed me at the outset and then I paid for shipping and was soooo excited to get it and am so thoroughly disappointed. The cards are not coated and the stock is poor!

I found out mine are handpainted....maybe that is the deal.....not too sure - i just know i am not loving them - hopefully they will grow on me - I would hate to have to return them.

I am a printer but I have always been very sensitive to stock and weight etc. I love a good deck of cards....they are awesome and these are not that!

UGH

rainwolf

Goes in the other direction too...

The Shakespeare oracle (just a tarot deck in disguise) has great imagery and perfect quotations for the minors. I sat with a friend in a coffee shop and we read each other the quotations and guessed what the cards were (got many right!) but the stock was very, very thick. I think I accidentally bent a card in the first day.

So beware--you can't go too far in either direction. It's a risk of creasing a card either way, but I'm sure you know that.

baba-prague

franniee said:
this deck was $45 and that annoyed me at the outset and then I paid for shipping and was soooo excited to get it and am so thoroughly disappointed. The cards are not coated and the stock is poor!

I found out mine are handpainted....maybe that is the deal.....not too sure

Have to say that $45 for a hand-painted deck is a very low price. Maybe that's why they used cheap stock?

franniee

i thought about it after I wrote it....how can that be?????

baba-prague

franniee said:
i thought about it after I wrote it....how can that be?????

Hmm, yes sounds odd. Hand finished in some way maybe (like some hand-tinting?)

Elven

Hi rainwolf :)

Yes, theres that consideration too - and them being so thick that they split, but creases are a bother becasue its like a scar that wont heal :( it is very hard not to be aware of it - though I am 'over sensitive to this stuff' slightly at the moment too ;)
The gold edging on one of Doreen Virtues decks stops the sticking, which I find helps enable a smoother shuffle - not like with some others card stock which is thick and takes a bit of work to get them to slide nicely. Its this newness sometimes where I find I have to be a little more careful of 'scaring' them :)

I have cards which have stuck together, then after being parted have taken a patch off the card - but I can deal with that, as it doesnt interupt the shuffle - only by sight, but its not liike Poker where they're marked and I can do some trick and bring up certain cards in the spread placements :)

Hi Franniee :)
Thats disappointing for you!
Its hard when you are looking forward to a deck and the card stock betrays other qualities of the cards - like the handy work or something 'special' about the deck.

You could maybe politely reply to the creator and mention this to them. It may not change their deck, but at least they know about it ...

I have a great deck of little cards which are not laminated, but the card stock is 'just' right (for me) - I love the sound they make when I shuffle them - 'whooosh-whoosh' :p I could listen to it all day! ... well almost :p

Thanks for the replys (and your too baba :p)

Blessings all
Elven x

Papageno

I love the decks printed in Japan. the card stock is wonderful and the laminate finish is really exquisite.....seriously.