Writing A Suspense Thriller Spread

Glass Owl

This is my first attempt at creating a spread. I used Entertainment Weekly's Script-O-Matic (2/3/06, p 21) as the spring board for it. Please let me know what you think.

Writing A Suspense Thriller Spread (8) by Glass Owl

**7****8
1***2***
**3*****
4***5***
**6*****

1. Hero
Main character of story. The card could represent an aspect of the hero's personality, physical appearance, or history. It could be how the hero views him/her self or how others see him/her.

2. Hero's Present Situation or Condition
This position refers to the hero's current thoughts, beliefs, physical location, job situation, family/love life, etc.

3. Conflict
A Change in some aspect of the hero's situation or state.

4. Obstacle
A person (including the hero!) or other force that challenges the hero but doesn't necessarily have to be seen as bad or negative. Often referred to as the "villian" of the story.

5. Hero's Aid
Something or someone that provides knowledge, help, or support to the hero. Could be in the form of an ally (mentor, friend, relative, sidekick, or teacher), tool (weapon or equipment), or special talent (skill, past experience). The aid could arrive unexpectedly or be present from the beginning.

6. Goal
The goal may belong to the hero or the obstacle (aka the villian). The goal usually involves the resolution of the conflict but could also encompass other objectives, such as desires or dreams.

There may be more than one goal for a character. A goal should involve an action (either the initiation of it or the resistance of it.) Goals could include action elements such as stopping, finding, avenging, gaining, learning, rescuing, revealing, escaping, surviving, restoring, etc.

7. Climax
The high point in the story.

8. Outcome
An aspect of the resolution (where the loose ends of the story come together) or the conclusion of the story (the closing).

Alternate: This position could represent an outcome that didn't come to pass due to the hero's influence.

Option 1: After 1 spread, pick up the 8 cards that were dealt. Shuffle these same 8 cards and lay them out again for a new perspective.

Option 2: Lay out 8 cards face down according to the layout given. Then repeat, laying the new set of cards face up directly on top of the others. The cards underneath could used in a number of ways--they could represent
hidden/past influences, be used in conjunction with the cards above, or as substitutions.

Option 3: After laying out the 8 cards, continue laying more cards down at random to any position to either add more information or to change that position's result.

Here's another way of looking at this spread:
Main character is 1 (hero) who is/thinks 2 (present situation or state) until 3 (conflict). With 4 (obstacle) in the hero's way and 5 (aid) in his/her back pocket, the hero or the obstacle's 6 (goal) is/isn't in sight until 7 (climax). At the end of the story, we see the 8 (outcome).

HudsonGray

I think I'd ad in two more cards--a second conflict, and a plot twist.

firecatpickles

I tried one of these once. I am no author. The cards told me I was a fraud for even asking --Prudence reversed...! LOL I know, off-topic, but funny.

starrystarrynight

Holy smokes! I made my living for years as a fiction writer...never once did I think of plotting with tarot spreads! What an ingenious idea!

ArwenNightstar

starrystarrynight said:
Holy smokes! I made my living for years as a fiction writer...never once did I think of plotting with tarot spreads! What an ingenious idea!

I teach a class on how to utilize the Tarot for Fiction Writers. It's fun!

sliderkta

kilts_knave said:
I tried one of these once. I am no author. The cards told me I was a fraud for even asking --Prudence reversed...! LOL I know, off-topic, but funny.

Aw! ;_; Don't you hate it when the cards do that? ^_^

seneris

HudsonGray said:
I think I'd ad in two more cards--a second conflict, and a plot twist.

I second this option. Great spread, btw. I've been trying to take up writing again. I want to try and write a short story, perhaps this spread could help me finally get started.

ArwenNightstar

seneris said:
I second this option. Great spread, btw. I've been trying to take up writing again. I want to try and write a short story, perhaps this spread could help me finally get started.

Why not draw three cards and make a story based on that. Let the first two cards be two people and the third card be the situation they find themselves in. :)

darkiscross

wow! This will go well with my Gothic Vargo deck. I swear these cards seem to naturally illustrate a very dark saga. I can't wait to jump in on your spread. But I have too many tests to study for at the moment, so I shall have to put it off to vacation. dear ...

RiverDaughter

I HAVE to try this spread! I've been needing a creative "kick in the pants" as it were, and this may be just what I need to get moving!

Thanks!