Another view of the Fool

dadsnook2000

In another area of the Study Groups Forum we are studying Mary Greer's 21 Ways To Read A Tarot Card. We each pick one card from one deck which we use for a portion of our studies. One of these steps involves sketching or drawing this chosen card -- the process helps us to identify the components of the card that we resonate with, that we tend to not see, or shows us a new twist in our relation to the card that we may not have realized.

In any case, I have drawn my Fey Fool card with three keyholes -- one in his crown, one between his eyes, one in the pumpkin's face -- plus I have put keys around him on the ground.

As I meditated on this unique card I wondered if the crown's keyhole was meant to relate to his mind or to the crown itself? He obviously has to "unlock" his own awareness of his world and himself. What if he needed to unlock the crown; that is to understand how other's see him, what importance they attach to his crown and clothing and what he represents? Then there is the pumpkin -- this is an anomaly, something found unexpectedly that is out of "sync" with the environment -- and represents the many discoveries we make in life. So, he has his own keys on his clothes, but there also has to be keys everywhere in our life for us to recognize and to use.

Now, I am not criticizing the card's design concepts. I am digging deeper into its meanings for me, exploring its possibilities, and learning to better be able to view any card in ways that may stretch or open its meanings. Its a great exercise. We have completed 16 of 21 steps at the Apprentice level and will wait a few weeks upon completion before starting over at the Adept levels that the book offers. I'd like to hear what others here say about these views on the Fool card. Dave

Attachments

• AT-Fool-Sketch.JPG
    AT-Fool-Sketch.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 679

Papageno

the pumpkin speaks to me as an externalization of the Fools psyche which he examines periodically along the course of his journey of self discovery.

the crown, his higher self, has yet to be unlocked which will reveal it's true nature and quality. the same can be said for the lock on his forehead which holds the reservoir of his intellect........maybe it is the key to his third eye that he needs to reach for.

keys can be used or not. some Fools will only reach for a key out of neccessity while others will open all the doors and go where angels fear to tread.

squeakmo9

dadsnook2000 said:
He obviously has to "unlock" his own awareness of his world and himself. What if he needed to unlock the crown; that is to understand how other's see him, what importance they attach to his crown and clothing and what he represents? Then there is the pumpkin -- this is an anomaly, something found unexpectedly that is out of "sync" with the environment -- and represents the many discoveries we make in life. So, he has his own keys on his clothes, but there also has to be keys everywhere in our life for us to recognize and to use.

Looking at your great sketch Dave thinking that there are more keys than keyholes. Makes me think that everyone outside of The Fool is offering there viewpoint to him. Since he is The Fool, the pumkin confirming this new journey, he needs to find his own perspective. Nothing outside of himself will "fit" or answer his many questions, perhaps even questions that have not yet arrived. His suit of keys may need to be tossed, he appears to be outgrowing it. Well that's my key, I mean, my 2 cents:)

hopena

squeakmo9 said:
Looking at your great sketch Dave thinking that there are more keys than keyholes. Makes me think that everyone outside of The Fool is offering there viewpoint to him. Since he is The Fool, the pumkin confirming this new journey, he needs to find his own perspective. Nothing outside of himself will "fit" or answer his many questions, perhaps even questions that have not yet arrived. His suit of keys may need to be tossed, he appears to be outgrowing it. Well that's my key, I mean, my 2 cents:)

I just wanted to say that I like this... :)

I've started to study my Fey Tarot, and I hadn't thought of this - although I had noted that his outfit seemed to be splitting at the seams. I wasn't sure if the gaps were intentional.

One thing I like about the original card, is that this pumpkin looks as though it's supposed to be scary, but the Fool isn't afraid. That may not be the case - it's just a Jack O' Lantern - but the image itself shows him looking into an angry face with no fear. His curiosity outweighs it.

RiccardoLS

dadsnook2000 said:
I am digging deeper into its meanings for me, exploring its possibilities, and learning to better be able to view any card in ways that may stretch or open its meanings.

This is something we should always do.
And even more... once you "change" (explore, expand, evolve...) a card, it could create a domino effect, changing your perspective on other cards in way you couldn't prepare for. Maybe because all cards are interconnected. And when you return to the Fool once more, it changes again, because of the journey and the changes of all the other cards.
Forever beginning ^^

ric