Solar Fire: Changing Essential Dignities

Minderwiz

This post will mainly be of interest if you use Solar Fire or are considering buying it, but I know we attract a lot of lurkers, as well as forum members, so that might actually be a reasonable audience.

I recently upgraded my version of Solar Fire to the latest version, 9 and shortly afterwards Chris Brennan announced a hellenisitic page for the program which could be installed by team members. I went through the process and it worked.

However, it also whetted my appetite for using Solar Fire for horary, something I had used to do when I started out with that branch. I ran into a problems with changing the essential dignities displayed from the default Ptolemy (actually a very questionable version of Ptolemy) and substituting the Dorothean Triplicities and Egyptian Terms, which are the orginal (and really the only system used until Lilly tried to use Ptolemy in the seventeenth century because he was wrongly under the impression that Ptolemy was the original system).]

I couldn't get version 6 to change, even though it claimed that the display could be changed. Instead I shifted to Morinus which does this easily.

So with the new version 9 and Chris' example I decided to try and find out how to change the essential dignities for horary. Needless to say I hit a brick wall but with much reading of the User Guide and even a call to Tech Support (tried to help but didn't get me far) I eventually worked out the following method. It might not be the best but it works

Step 1:

You need to edit one of the essential dignity files contained in the Solar Fire program folder. That means finding out where that folder is on your computer. For me it was in Program Files (x86) but earlier versions may be in Program Files.

Then start up Solar Fire and open the Almuten & dignities editor from the Utilities menu. You will need to use the File/Open menu to navigate to your Solar Fire folder and select one of the files with a .alm file to edit. I chose essdig.alm and this is probably the easiest one to do.

Step 2:
Once loaded into the editor click on the Options button top right (see screenshot) and alter the Triplicity and Terms rulers to Dorothean and Egyptian respectively (see screenshot) and click OK to return to the editor screen.

Step 3:
On the main screen edit the full name description to read Essential Dignities (see screenshot)

Step 4: You need to save the file but it is important to change it's name and to save it in the Solar Fire user folder in My Documents.

So in the editor use File Save As and rename it to myessdig and navigate to the Solar Fire User Files folder, open it and find the Almutens & Dignities folder (should be the top one) open it and then save myessdig to it.

That completes the use of the Editor, so you can safely exit it.

Step 5:

From the Utilities menu select Page Designer. You can then use File Open, to find and load the Horary Page.

Step 6:

Once the page has laded click on the Essential Dignities Object and it should become framed in a red outline with sizing points. This will bring up the properties, of the Essential Dignities object over on the right. By default the Dignit File box (next to the bottom on the list) is empty, meaning that Solar Fire uses it's own default dignities. You need to change that to show myessedig as the Dignity File. If you highlight the box you will see an entry window open at the top. type myessdig in there and press return (see screenshot). Remember to save the page using File Save. You don't need to change its name but you can do if you want to use the default and the new dignities interchangeably.

You are now ready to go!!

Selecting the horary page for any chart will now provide you with the Dorothean Triplicity Rulers and Egyptian Terms.

My view is that this procedure is almost Kafkaesque in it's complexity but there is one advantage. You can now change any page where Essential Dignities are used in the same fashion and you can even create your own page.

If you create further dignity files by re-editing myessedig and, say, choosing Lilly Triplicities and then saving it as mylillyessedig you can have pages for all three of Solar Fire's Dignities options. Even so, they should have made this much easier and much more clear.

Doing the same thing on Delphic Oracle or Morinus is about four mouse clicks and takes less than a minute, indeed you can switch back again within that minute.

Incidentally, I'd strongly advise any Solar Fire users who are trying out the tradition to implement this change. Solar Fire's default is a version of Ptolemy's dignities derived from the Ashmand translation of Tetrabiblios which was published in 1822. It's of questionable validity in some of its translation from Latin and very questionable in its translation from Greek. There are later and better translations that show that Lilly's translation in 1647 is actually nearer the mark.

Attachments

• almute&dignityeditor.png
    almute&dignityeditor.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 561
  • Options.png
    Options.png
    76.4 KB · Views: 520
  • newtitle.png
    newtitle.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 550
  • propertiespagedesigner.png
    propertiespagedesigner.png
    18.3 KB · Views: 485

Astraea

My deepest appreciation to you! It is simply astonishing that a program as popular as Solar Fire has such rudimentary built-in classical/traditional options. "Kafka-esque" is a good way to describe the steps you had to take to bring the software into better alignment with tradition. I've written to Astrolabe on a couple of occasions and asked them to include more of such options (many of which are available on freeware!), but never heard anything back from them. There's a growing market for affordable general astrological software that incorporates a wide range of classical/traditional options, and I hope that Astrolabe/Esoteric Technologies will get onboard in future versions of Solar Fire.

Minderwiz

I've written to Astrolabe on a couple of occasions and asked them to include more of such options (many of which are available on freeware!), but never heard anything back from them. There's a growing market for affordable general astrological software that incorporates a wide range of classical/traditional options, and I hope that Astrolabe/Esoteric Technologies will get onboard in future versions of Solar Fire.

I'm think I'll add my voice to yours, and I'm sure others, on this matter and contact them about this issue. I don't hold out much hope of a serious reply, as that essedig.alm was written for Solar Fire 3!! There have been 6 versions since then and a lot of research and discoveries about Traditional approaches. Yet they persist in keeping to this obscurantist approach in the face of mouting evidence they are wrong and increasing numbers of rivals who do a proper implementation which works much much quicker.

Their only defence seems to be that if the user puts in the time and effort, they can get the program to work as is should do.

Minderwiz

Update

The Solar Fire technician has got back to me with some helpful information.

Make sure Solar Fire is not running

Right click on the Solar Fire desktop shortcut (icon) and select 'Run as administrator' from the list

This will launch Solar Fire.

It is then possible to edit the alm files in the Solar Fire Program folder (see first post above for finding this) and then save the edited file back into the program directory.

I followed the Steps for using the Almuten/Dignity editor described in the first post to edit essdig.alm but instead of 'Save as' I just used 'Save'

I also edited the general.alm file to in the same way and saved that.

Now the Reports Current file, gives me a tabulation of the Essential Dignities I want, not the default set by Solar Fire.

As before it's still possible to create variants and save into the My Documents Solar Fire User Files directory in the same way - Dont forget to put it into the sub folder Almutens and Dignities. I created a lillyessedig.alm file that way.

I'm now off to try this out on the next Horary reading, which is for Ronia

Astraea

I'm glad the tech got back to you. It's still an awfully arcane, unintuitive approach they require - a variety of accurate classical options should be available to toggle, but…whatever, eh? :D

Minderwiz

I'm glad the tech got back to you. It's still an awfully arcane, unintuitive approach they require -

If anything, that is an understatement!! I don't think they're ever going to turn this into a 'must have' feature but at least they could provide clear guidance in the User Guide (which is after all supposed to guide the user) showing how this should be done from start to finish. That would reduce the time taken from several hours of trial, error, and searching of material in a 500+ page document down to about ten minutes of work.

Astraea said:
a variety of accurate classical options should be available to toggle, but…whatever, eh? :D

It took me 16 seconds to alter the dignities in Delphic Oracle. That's going from the displayed chart through opening the settings selecting Ptolemy for Triplicity rulerships and Ptolemy for Term rulerships and saving the selection.

There is one advantage to Solar Fire, I can create a paged with all the data that I want and use, grouped together. Once I have created the page, or edited an existing one, it take about the same time as Delphic Oracle to display all the data I want in the format I want. With Delphic Oracle I still have to access the various reports (though that only takes seconds, likewise with Morinus) They're not as nicely presented though.

However that's on top of the time taken to create the page (even having found out what to do) and unless a whole raft of pages are created it still doesn't give the ease of either Morinus or Delphic Oracle in accessing reports that automatically use the user chosen settings . Both Morinus and Delphic Oracle are easy to use, in this respect and give the same information as Solar Fire but how many users just give up on Solar Fire because the can't access the information they want, or put up with doubtful Essential Dignities because there's no clear way of getting to the ones they really want to use?

At least the new User Guide makes some attempt to address the issue (though badly). I looked at my old User Guide for SF 6 and there's nothing in there at all either about designing pages or creating dignity files. I would not have had a clue as to how to change them, so it's no wonder I gave up Solar Fire and went to Morinus instead.

If Esoteric Technologies want to keep Traditional Astrologers as customers, then they are going to have to change. I don't see that as likely though.

Astraea

If Esoteric Technologies want to keep Traditional Astrologers as customers, then they are going to have to change. I don't see that as likely though.
Agree completely. I won't be purchasing any more upgrades until they make SF competitive with the programs you mention - I'm not holding my breath!