Anyone Else Just Starting?

ravenest

I am too new to explain why but there is something about the deck and teachings that feel like home. They are intrinsically multicultural and egalitarian in their elitism. There are certain cards that talk to me and feel there are black energies, "spirits" or thoughts included in the deck. There is a reason the new orleans voodoo deck which is Thoth based feels right or "scary to many" compared to the other black or orisha RWS based decks. Thank you for the link to that article. Moorish roots does not surprise me AT all.

Crowley wanted to make the Thoth deck an eclectic compendium ... of sorts. Reading through the Book of Thoth and 777 one can see the variety of systems sourced. That gives it a multi-cultural feel.

Egalitarian elitism ... :) 'Every man an every woman is a star' .... a king is king by their nature and the life they lead - not because of race, class, sex, etc.

New Orleans voodoo deck - Sally-anne's ? She did some workshops here and some activity continued from that ... one of the best rites I have been to :) I had a great experience with Simbi la Flambeau . Sally's ideas about Grand Bois, Gondwanaland and Australia were interesting. < flashbacks - can hear distant drumming and chanting in the background - :) >

ravenest

Valentinus the Gnostic? Manly P. Hall has a couple of paragraphs about him, but not much detail, saying only that he "further complicated the system of gnostic philosophy by adding infinitely to the details." From the following link to the Hermetic Library, I can see what Hall was talking about:

http://hermetic.com/sabazius/valentinus.htm

Sabazius has further writings on the 'Gnostic saints' ; go to http://hermetic.com/sabazius/gnostic_mass.htm section V - collects, the saints section, you can click on any of the blue underlined names.

Some are a little brief ... Giordano Bruno is listed but the note doesn't say how he kept a dwarf under the table at dinner time, for .... :bugeyed: ... how could you leave THAT out ? :laugh:

Richard

Valentinus the Gnostic? Manly P. Hall has a couple of paragraphs about him, but not much detail, saying only that he "further complicated the system of gnostic philosophy by adding infinitely to the details." From the following link to the Hermetic Library, I can see what Hall was talking about:

http://hermetic.com/sabazius/valentinus.htm
In a way, yes, his system was more complicated. However, it was an attempt to correct (or at least ameliorate) Gnostic dualism, which took some extreme forms, not only in the time of Valentinus but later in its reemergence in European Catharism.

skipbosco

I'm a tarot newb...just past 2 months into this adventure. About 2 weeks in a friend steered me at the Thoth, and it was clearly the deck for me. I've read DuQueete's Thoth book twice and the chicken qabalah almost twice...and Crowley's Thoth book. Otherwise I've read a lot online and here on the forum.
Clearly, to me, opening up to the Thoth is a long road, but I just work with it according to my current understanding and try to not beat myself up about not knowing every intricate detail about a deck that is the condensation of an enormous amount of knowledge. The interesting thing about the Thoth is I immediately felt a very powerful intuitive connection to it, the messages were SO clear but it was as if the volume was turned WAY UP, it was a bit overwhelming, I feel that getting a solid feel for the qabalah is key to finding the volume knob on the thing.

So far my relationship with the Thoth is much like the early part of a love affair, it's so intense and exciting and mysterious. It's crazy cool.

UrbanBramble

I've had a thoth deck for years and am re-investing time into studying it.

I read DuQuette's book and combined with the Book of Thoth these gave me the most insights into basic ideas of the kabbalah and meaning of the individual cards.

At this point I use the astrological assignments of the cards, elemental dignities, and basic numerology to read with. I get fairly accurate readings but don't feel like I've gotten to the "meat" of the magic. There's a whole other level down there that I'm excited to tap into. I really think understanding the Tree of Life at the very least is the next step.

What I love about this deck is that you can just go deeper and deeper. I also wouldn't discount Lady Frida Harris's influence on what the cards ultimately became. I know she was just taking Crowley's dictations on the images and colors but her magic is in them too. I really think they would look completely different if a different artist had illustrated them. It's what originally drew me to the deck.

I consider myself a newbie even though I've been working with the cards on and off for years. I don't think you become an "expert" without disciplined study and an interest in really understanding hermeticism, kaballah, and Crowley's personal lore.

Zephyros

Kabbalah isn't difficult, or at least not as difficult as people think. :)

In the Kabbalah forum there are a few beginners' introductions you might find interesting, and even a basic knowledge could really open the deck for you.

foolMoon

I've had a thoth deck for years and am re-investing time into studying it.

I read DuQuette's book and combined with the Book of Thoth these gave me the most insights into basic ideas of the kabbalah and meaning of the individual cards.

I have read DuQuette's book months ago, but maybe it's time to re-read another time to refresh my memory.

"The Crowley Tarot - The Handbook To The Cards" by Banzhaf is also a good book.